Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

My heeler and I are four classes in to intro to agility and I have a question or two...we are super newbies to dog sports.

Hazel seems to be technical and careful when it comes to agility work we have done so far, and surprisingly brave. She loves the teeter, A frame, dog walk, and pause table. She does not like the jumps or even remotely going any speed faster than a slow trot to jumps.

Is this concerning? Will she develop speed and jump ability as we progress?

I don’t want her to burn out by practicing constantly. But honestly, she is our third heeler and I have never seen a lower drive in a heeler than I have seen in her! It’s almost comical.

We are signed up for novice agility after the completion of this course because it’s fun, she seems to enjoy it, and I think it’s good for her.

My concern is this-I want to make sure she is involved in something she enjoys. There are so many options and just not enough time! We are also participating in intermediate obedience after a great experience in intro obedience.

Then someone suggested rally. Gah! Like I said, so many options! We are going to try a drop in rally class a time or two in between the end of intro agility and the start of novice agility to see if we like it.

I guess my bottom line question is... how does one know what to stick with? I know the dog will eventually tell you which is why we are trying different things. But I do not want to overwhelm her and myself and spend time doing one thing when we should be focusing on something else!

Advice please!

Thanks!

Molly and Hazel

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you SO much for the tips and advice! I greatly appreciate every word!

Pictured is Hazel. She’s a good girl that I am trying my hardest not to confuse!

Dog Mammal Vertebrate Canidae Dog breed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts