Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im getting a new puppy this friday. I have grown up around dogs and had a few when i was a kid. And you know what that means i pet it and mom feeds it lol. I do have a cat. I have had him and actually taken care of him for 2 and a half years. Hes up to date on all shots, fixed everything is good. Well im 19 i have my own place with my cousin to whom its shared. So i think im ready for a dog. I have done ALOT of searching and a few dogs didnt work out. They were already given out for adoption or they didnt want the dog going to an apartment. So started looking and saw an ad for wold hybrid puppies. I was like NO WAY! SWEET! Did some research and they rock. Plus im weird and really wanted a dog with ice blue eyes, lol. Well found this lady/breeder im assuming. And shes selling one for 150 dollars! Which is even better because huskies are like 400, lol. Well his mom is siberian husky and oregon grey wolf and his dad is a coyote and a german shephard. So hes not full wolf but he has some beautiful breeds in him. Heres a pic.
[/IMG]

So he is 10 weeks. Hes had his first two puppy shots. I have to take him back to the vet next thursday she said for a worm check and his next shots. Told me she is feeding him science diet puppy food right now. Hes not fixed told me i couldnt get him fixed till he was 5-6 months old. I was thinking about switching his food to Blue Buffalo its not the best but from what i read its pretty good. How did you potty train your pup? And also Im having trouble with names. Im really picky about names they have to be unique and different. My cats name is Zues, lol. I like egyptian stuff, gods, vampires, anime, video games, constellations, alcoholic beverages work too ;)~. Heres a list of what I have came up with so far:
Hades
Nanook or Nahnuk(from the lost boys)
Diablo
Storm
Azure
Kaine or Caine
Beo
Diago
Talon
Keenu
Lightning
Majik
Mystik
Niko
Bacardi
Hypnotiq
Rayne
Kalani "The sky; chieftain."
Anubis
Kane

Id appreciate any info you could supply me with :D

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
You don't say what the ratio of dog to wolf is but whatever it is, please talk to someone who is a wolf expert in order to learn what you may be facing in the future as your pup grows into full maturity. For one thing, I'd make sure that your cat is never alone with the wolf hybrid you're getting. While it won't matter as much when he's a pup it will later on, especially if he's got a significant amount of wolf in him.

I'm talking from experience. My sister had a wolf hybrid for 7 years and after age two she became more wolf-like in her behavior each year. So you'd better learn all you can about wolf behavior, which is different from dog behavior. I'm not saying you'll have the same experience, but you need to be prepared.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't say what the ratio of dog to wolf is but whatever it is, please talk to someone who is a wolf expert in order to learn what you may be facing in the future as your pup grows into full maturity. For one thing, I'd make sure that your cat is never alone with the wolf hybrid you're getting. While it won't matter as much when he's a pup it will later on, especially if he's got a significant amount of wolf in him.

I'm talking from experience. My sister had a wolf hybrid for 7 years and after age two she became more wolf-like in her behavior each year. So you'd better learn all you can about wolf behavior, which is different from dog behavior. I'm not saying you'll have the same experience, but you need to be prepared.
Oh i know. My boyfriend actually flipped out at first he was all like. NO! Your not getting a wolf! It will eat kitty! I talked to the breeder and shes got 5 cats, chickens, horses, cows and ducks and she said they do fine even as adults. Plus he is really young. All i know is what the mom has in her im assuming half husky and half wolf and the dad half coyote and half shephard. So hes a quarter of each i guess.

·
Super Moderator
11,683 Posts
You want to keep a wolf hybrid in an apartment? With a cat?

Please do some more research. Naming the dog will be the least of your problems.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I would take whatever your breeder says with a BIG pinch of salt as she may not give you a balanced viewpoint. Some quotes (and these are from quite pro-wolf hybrid sites):

from this site
Wolf hybrids can be sweet, intelligent companions. However, hybrids are not generally the ideal pet. They require a lot more time, effort and patience than dogs, and are definitely not for the inexperienced. They require special containment and diet, which can be an expensive proposition. And for many people who don't know the facts beforehand, hybrids can go from being docile, adorable puppies to adults who challenge their unprepared owners for dominance, and become destructive and impossible to handle.

from this site
People have to understand that a wolf-dog is still part wild, it will never be the docile family pet, these animals have special needs, both physical and mental. The Tragic truth is that many wolf-dog hybrids end up at the Humane Society, and once there they are put down, because it is almost impossible to place a hybrid with a new owner, due to the fact that they develop a strong bond, Some Veterinarians will not treat wolf-dogs, in some jurisdictions it is illegal for them to treat wild animals such as wolves and hybrids.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sorry, but for a first dog this is a bad idea. For your first you will need a dog that is going to be much less dominant and hard to handle. Wolf-hybrids are not a domesticated dog, and if you don't have much experience with dogs to begin with you're setting yourself up for disaster.

I'd be really wary that the woman wants to sell the puppy for so cheap, and that she is willing to give him to you as a first dog. Please, I urge you, steer clear of this and choose a dog that is better suited for you.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I totally agree that this is a very bad idea and a disaster (for the animals if nothing else) waiting to happen. This "breeder" is being very dishonest with the OP, prpbably just in it for the money and will tell people precisely what they want to hear. Assuming the animal's parents are half wolf and half dog and half coyote, half dog this pup is 1/2 wild canine. I just hope that the OP is actually a bored kid with too much time on her hands and is not seriously considering this pup.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I think the chances of the 19 yr old not taking the wolf-hybrid (if he is a true wolf-hybrid) are slim and none. Some things in life I guess you just got to jump in and get wet. OP's age is a big factor. Hey while we're on the wolf subject has anybody seen any wolves in a circus act? I'm just curious.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Agreed with all of the above that this is an absolute disaster waiting to happen. If you're 19, i'm assuming you live in an apartment. I'm 20, I'm in an apartment, and I agonized over getting a brittany because they are so high energy, but finally decided to get one because I have such an active lifestyle and I know I'll be able to keep up with the breed.

With that said, having a wolf hybrid in an apartment with a cat, and being an inexperienced owner...no. I know a wolf hybrid is really appealing because they ARE really neat animals...but they are INCREDIBLY unpredictable. As others have said...dogs and wolves are two completely different things. BTW..I wouldn't consider anyone a "breeder" who randomly crosses huskies/wolves/coyotes/shepards/hyenas/etc...good lord!

I have met 3 true wolf hybrids in my 3 years as a vet tech...2 of which were half and half...one half shepard and the other half malamute. They were absolutely stunning dogs...and had experienced owners, but they could not be around anyone without being muzzled. The doctor and I would go in the room, the dog would be sitting calmly and out of nowhere would lunge and try to attack everyone in sight, INCLUDING the owner. Not saying this is true of ALL wolf hybrids..just throwing it out there.

Just my 2 cents...I would avoid this idea like the plague if I were you, do some research on TRUE breeds..and pick one that is best suited to your lifestyle/ level of experience. If you do decide to get the pup, and in 6 months give it up to the shelter because it's too aggressive...realize it will be put down almost immediatly.

Sorry if that was harsh and a novel.

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
In most areas, if you end up giving this dog to a shelter because it doesn't work out, please realize that it WILL be put down. Period. Won't make adoption for liability reasons, since there's not an approved rabies vaccine for wolves.

I think this is a terrible idea. I think you're going to do it anyway, but please... please don't.

OTOH, if you're lucky, the breeder is completley full of poo. "Oregon Grey Wolf" is not a type of wolf AFAIK. And most of the 'coydogs' that people have are just wolfy looking sable shepher/husky mixes. So you may just be getting a GSD x husky mix- which can actually be a pretty nice mix! (I just think it's a shame you gave an irresponsible breeder (at best) or a scammer (more likely) any money for it.)

·
Registered
20 Posts
It's a really bad idea. I have seen wolf hybrids at work (i work at a veterinary clinic) and they can be scary as adults. One of the two that I have seen had to be neutered and placed in a wolf sanctuary because he was too wild. (he was 1/2 wolf, 1/2 malmaute or husky). Have you thought about checking at the Humane Society in your town for an easier to handle dog? One that is known to be good with cats and that can live in an apartment? I am not against the idea of a dog but a wolf hybrid in an apartment with a cat does not sound safe to me at all.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
I saw the ad and thought "sweet"???

Why oh why do people buy a "dog" like this....

The only benefit, besides a pretty "dog" is to be able to tell people "hey my dog is part wolf" I personally feel its a lame attempt at attention most of the time.

Wolf hybrids don't make you cool, spiritual, different, extraordinary, or mysterious. It does not make your dog "better" or superior to other dogs. It will impress only inexperienced people who think its "cool" too.

Show the world a balanced, trained, friendly dog, and you will impress many many more people IMO\

edit: just noticed the list of names..... now i know you want it for the wrong reasons.

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Im getting a new puppy this friday. I have grown up around dogs and had a few when i was a kid. And you know what that means i pet it and mom feeds it lol. I do have a cat. I have had him and actually taken care of him for 2 and a half years. Hes up to date on all shots, fixed everything is good. Well im 19 i have my own place with my cousin to whom its shared. So i think im ready for a dog. I have done ALOT of searching and a few dogs didnt work out. They were already given out for adoption or they didnt want the dog going to an apartment. So started looking and saw an ad for wold hybrid puppies. I was like NO WAY! SWEET! Did some research and they rock. Plus im weird and really wanted a dog with ice blue eyes, lol. Well found this lady/breeder im assuming. And shes selling one for 150 dollars! Which is even better because huskies are like 400, lol. Well his mom is siberian husky and oregon grey wolf and his dad is a coyote and a german shephard. So hes not full wolf but he has some beautiful breeds in him. Heres a pic.
[/IMG]

So he is 10 weeks. Hes had his first two puppy shots. I have to take him back to the vet next thursday she said for a worm check and his next shots. Told me she is feeding him science diet puppy food right now. Hes not fixed told me i couldnt get him fixed till he was 5-6 months old. I was thinking about switching his food to Blue Buffalo its not the best but from what i read its pretty good. How did you potty train your pup? And also Im having trouble with names. Im really picky about names they have to be unique and different. My cats name is Zues, lol. I like egyptian stuff, gods, vampires, anime, video games, constellations, alcoholic beverages work too ;)~. Heres a list of what I have came up with so far:
Hades
Diablo
Storm
Azure
Kaine or Caine
Beo
Diago
Talon
Keenu
Lightning
Majik
Mystik
Niko
Bacardi
Hypnotiq
Rayne
Anubis
Kane

Id appreciate any info you could supply me with :D
Honey. You don't sound like you've done very much research. No offence intended.

Did you check your local laws to see if you are even legally able to own a wolfdog?

Or the legally required pen set up?

what do you know of wolf behavior?
because this is not a dog. and especially not one for a first time owner.

I've been playing host to a couple of wolfdogs and hon you are in potentially very great danger.

you need to do a S**T ton more research.

http://www.wolfpark.org/wolfdogs/index.html

you're putting yourself at immense risk. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE

PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION!

·
Banned
7,942 Posts
Since you already have this dog (from the sounds of it) please proceed with caution and thoughfulness.

If you were living in my State you would need a special permit if anyone recognized the wolf or coyote part of the hybrid. No permit and they take your dog... often to be PTS and dissected etc. for study. Permits here are really difficult to obtain.

As your puppy grows, be very very careful with the cat. Assuming the breeder is not giving you a line of BS, the cat will be in danger as the hybrid matures and develops survival instincts. Personally I hope the breeder is a bit of a PT Barnum and you just got "took" on the wolf part of this. Wolves, BTW do not have blue eyes. Huskies do.

Another thing you better do is start hiking. If this is either a husky mix with GSD or a wolf/coyote/GSD/Siberian Huusky mix you will need to take it out for a LOT of exercise.. every day, all kinds of weather. Pure wolves will often travel in excess of 10 miles a day at a ground travelling trot, so get those boots on and start to hike because if you have a wolf hybrid, that is a necessity.

The time this animal is going to take is going to seriously impinge on a lot of your current life. Assuming you go to school or work, a good deal of the rest of your day (like 2-3 hours when he is mature) will be devoted to hiking and training and working with this animal. This means b4 going out with friends, b4 paying attention to a BF, b4 eating and b4 sleeping.. there will be the hybrid. B4 everything.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I completely, 100% agree with the above posts.

Non hybrid dogs can be a LOT of work, time, money, energy etc. a hybrid is twice, if not more, of all of these things.

This person is NOT a breeder, and calling her so is a great insult to true breeders. True breeders do NOT breed mutts, and true breeders deffinately don't breed wild dogs.

I always find it almost humorous when someone tells me they have a wolf cross dog. I know it does happen, but it deffinately doesn't happen as often as people think, and not as often as I hear people telling me they have a wolf cross. Some of these dogs if I look at them may appear wolf like, but it's really hard to tell even with that because there are several breeds of dogs or mixes that can appear wolf-like without a drop of wolf blood in them! Other dogs I see that have been claimed to be wolf cross don't look wolf like in the least!
Yet their owners swear up and down that they are because it makes them feel cool *rolls eyes*

I'll admit that the idea is appealing even to me, especially because I absolutely adore wolves. But part of that adoration is respecting them... which means keeping them safe in the wild. It just too much work and too much of a liability if you ask me, and a huge risk to be taking. ESPECIALLY for a first time dog owner. You also have to think of your long-term living situations. I foolishly didn't think that one through very well when I got Linkin (who is just a plain ol' Boxer/GSD ;)) and am now realizing it's going to take a lot of work and money to find a place where I can have two dogs. Just because your appartment you live in now allows animals, doesn't mean the next place you live in will, and like others have said, if you end up having to give this pup to a shelter he WILL be euthinized without given a single chance.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
i think its safe to say at this point, that the OP has been scared off..... oh well.

:(

·
Super Moderator
11,683 Posts
But wait, we haven't helped pick out a name for the beast yet!

Even if wolf hybrids aren't banned in the particular area where the OP lives (and they are the ONLY canine banned in my town) I can't imagine an apartment complex that would allow it.

The have to carry insurance, after all.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
But wait, we haven't helped pick out a name for the beast yet!

Even if wolf hybrids aren't banned in the particular area where the OP lives (and they are the ONLY canine banned in my town) I can't imagine an apartment complex that would allow it.

The have to carry insurance, after all.
These names, to me carry the most signifigance to the intense spirtiual connection they will have with the blue eyed wolf dog and to magic, and nature......

Diablo
Storm
Azure
Kaine or Caine
Beo
Diago
Talon
Keenu
Lightning
Majik
Mystik
Niko
Bacardi
Hypnotiq
Rayne
Anubis
Kane

sorry....couldn't help myself. But this, to me just proves the reason people buy these "dogs"

·
Registered
438 Posts
OK is it safe to go on tangents? Since I think its unlikely the OP will return?
I once found what I'm pretty sure was a husky wandering about in our neighbourhood (without a collar of course). We phoned the police, who said "is it a wolf?" when I said "huh?" they said a half wolf dog had been reported lost. The owners showed up to get their "half wolf". I gave them a bit of a talking to about the lack of collar and id - this was apparently not the first time the dog had gotten lost but they seemed unconcerned.

But you know what? That girl gushed about her lost baby darling, and the dog did not make eye contact once, not with me either. And it just sort of half avoided her, dodging the hugs. Seemed a bit strange. But I very much doubt there was any wolf in that dog.

Its true, people love saying their dog is part wolf. I've had people telling me MY dog is part wolf. Gives them a thrill.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.