Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3 yr old English Mastiff that seems to be around 7 yrs old. Recently she went to the vet on Thanksgiving day. I was giving the big dogs a treat of left over pancakes. Shortly after, she would not get up or move. Yipped as if she was in pain. Afraid she aspirated, choking or was getting ill, I called the vet and took her in. The vet took x-rays. Came back and told me that it could of been possible the pancake was blocking and causing pain and pushing on her heart and the 2 spurs that was found on her spine. Apparently my mastiffs spine is building up calcium. She is already having spurs that will cause some discomfort and occasional pain. She is showing signs of arthritis. We have only feed her Taste of the Wild Prairie. Buying 2 - 50 lb bags a month. 4 bags now that we have 2 large dogs. We have had her since she was a 6 month old puppy. She gets fish oil and glucosamine daily, from the day we got her. She is greying day by day. Around the muzzle and eyes. It worries us that she will not be around very long. We love her so much. My 2yr old daughter uses her as a pillow. She is part of the family. I know and have read that larger breeds live to be around 7-9 years. We now have to give her pain medication to help her when she has bad days. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing as larger breeds aging even faster. An even shorter life span? Will we have 5 more years with her???

·
Registered
39 Posts
plz note u CANT feed a dog human food unless u mash it up so it wouldnt be so rough . and yes all dogs age like the month or soor every 2-5 months i think u could look it up every dog breed has a different aging sequence

·
Registered
60 Posts
You didn't mention if your Mastiff is a rescue or came from a good breeder, but that has a huge impact on their health and longevity. They are a giant breed and with that, their life spans are much shorter. Just part and parcel of loving these guys. Those from good breeders have less health problems, but things can still crop up. Also, feeding human food, like pancakes, isn't exactly a good idea. As tempting as it is to show your love by giving scraps, resist the urge! Get her on a good brand of food and stick to healthy treats. It can make a huge difference in her overall health and appearance. As for going gray, some dogs gray earlier than others. It isn't a good predictor of lifespan with any breed.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
60 Posts
Whoops sorry, I missed that she's feed totw. Stick to only dog food, or raw if you prefer. Even if you "mash up" human food, it just isn't a good idea.

Please, stop allowing her to be used as a pillow by your children. Not trying to be ugly here. You have a dog with spine issues, she doesn't need to be used as a jungle gym. Giant dogs can cause giant injuries without intending to (especially when they are in pain!) As the parent, it's your job to prevent this from happening.....

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We got her from a breeder. So was hoping to have a healthy dog. The parents seemed active, healthy and friendly. She always had Taste of the Wild. It has a lot of natural and good ingredients. I guess no more treats. She also has never acted as if in pain with the children. If so, they would not be allowed to lay with her. The children are not allowed around the large dogs unsupervised, knowing they are large and something could happen. Especially the two year old daughter. She isn't used as a jungle gym. We wouldn't allow that. They are allowed to lay with her. She doesn't mind. She loves having us close. She loves to sit or lay on feet. Love that, especially as cold as its been. Love my foot warmer. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts