Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
New user here. I recently got a new dog at a ranch I am living on with livestock. We introduced him to the chickens and rooster as well as the goats, watched him carefully, scolded him for chasing for about a week, and then got a little lax thinking he had overcome the idea of chasing the hens. He chased and killed two hens, followed by leaving the body and simply walking away. Now he is living in a large pasture and a chain on the porch at night because he can't be trusted to be around the hens unattended. A friend offered to loan me a shock collar for training him around the hens, advice from here if possible?

Thanks for any thoughts.

·
Registered
12,761 Posts
Welcome to our forum!

E-collar or not, how do you prevent what is ultimately an owner-absent problem?

Is he a companion animal or a working dog?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He is being brought in as a working dog, but at his previous house he was a companion for about 6 months.

I understand there is a rigorous way to use the shock collars, sorry for sounding ignorant, I have read through the entire guide on how to use the model I was loaned, but looking for alternatives/support for this idea. There are 2 other dogs on the property who do not chase the livestock and haven't had this issue, though we haven't ever lost a chicken to a dog before, so just trying to figure out the best method.

Thanks.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts