Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have a Schnauzer/chihuahua she is very smart. I have already taught her sit, down, crawl, paw,leave it and speak. what to add to it. how do you teach shaping? she seem to take to the Schnauzer side and is very terrier like is their any games to teacher?

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
The possibilities are endless. Play dead and hide are cute. Counting amazes the masses. Dancing is adorable.

Look up "shaping" with "clicker". I know I've seen YouTube videos on shaping, probably with kikopup, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
what to add to it. how do you teach shaping? she seem to take to the Schnauzer side and is very terrier like is their any games to teacher?
"Shaping" starts with the following. Take a complex behavior that you want your dog to do and break it down into its component parts (Like A+B+C). Then teach each part in order (like A first, then A+B, then A+B+C). Combining the individual pieces builds up the complete behavior. The pieces can be completely new, or they can be things that have already been learned. Since you can combine already learned behaviors -which may themselves be tricks - there is often a "preferred" teaching sequence for a particular trick.

This is just one method to teaching your dog complex behaviors. There are other methods that seem to work better on certain dog personalities. For example, the method known as incidental training - sometimes called "free shaping" - often works better for terrier type personalities.

With dog training, experience matters A LOT. If this is the first time you have trained a dog, it would be very advantageous to consider taking some formal training classes with your dog.

Trick training classes are often taught as a follow on to the basic obedience classes. If you don't want to take a formal class, there are many books and web resources available. But if you don't have experience, I do suggest you consider taking classes.

·
Banned
6,240 Posts
Counting amazes the masses.
Tell that to the judges of the pet show I go to every year... My dog is "ugly" so I worked HARD to impress the judges and she still didn't win! Some cute puppy in a tutu who didn't know any tricks got first... As usual. :doh: But my family was super impressed by it! It's really easy too--my dog already knew high five, so I would hold my hand up and have her paw it the number of times I said, or say "What's two plus two?" and reward when she pawed my hand five times.

Also shaping is wonderful! I learned about it in my psychology class this semester. You can break it down into as many baby steps as you need--for some dogs just going near the object first is rewarded, and then working up to performing the actual behavior.

Classes are a good recommendation but I have trained my dog by myself without much outside advice, so it isn't necessary if you are seeing results at home--but then again I have been practicing on family dogs since I was a kid!

·
Registered
3,365 Posts
my dog already knew high five, so I would hold my hand up and have her paw it the number of times I said, or say "What's two plus two?" and reward when she pawed my hand five times.
ummmmm .... :confused:

Just curious, maybe I missed something. lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts