Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering how often a 2 year old cocker/lab mix would go pee and poo. She went pee twice today, once around 7am and again at around 5pm. She also pooed this morning on her walk twice but that was about 8 or 8:30am and she hasn't since. I did just get her 2 days and I know that she will get on a more regular schedule in the coming days. I just want to know how often she will be going so I know what regular will be. Thanks again and sorry for all of the questions but I'm learning this since she is my first dog. :)

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
Just like with us it depends on the individual dog and factors such as: Do you plan to feed once or twice a day? Will you have water out 24/7 or take it up in the evening? What's the weather like? How much exercise will the dog be getting? Etc.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
What the dog eats matters a great deal. The volume and frequency of bowel movements will be much less on a higher quality feed.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
My dogs are fed twice a day and I always have water out...they typically go out 4x per day. First thing in the morning, midday, evening, and last call before bed....usually two poops and 3 or 4 pees total.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Just like with us it depends on the individual dog and factors such as: Do you plan to feed once or twice a day? Will you have water out 24/7 or take it up in the evening? What's the weather like? How much exercise will the dog be getting? Etc.
I have been feeding her twice a day, once in the morning around 7 or 7:30am and once in the early evening around 6 or so. She does have a mild form of kennel cough so I don't know if that plays a factor or not. Her water is out until about 10pm. Last night and this morning she didn't eat that much so that is probably another reason. I have been feeding her Purnia Pro Plan Shredding blend. The past couple of days the weather has been really hot, like over 100 degrees. Today, she's gone pee but not poo and she been more lazy than the past couple of days. I have been taking her out on short walks because of the kennel cough and the vet said that she shouldn't be too active and the walks have been in the morning or at night when it's not 100 degrees.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Get her off the purina and try for a higher quality food.

I have two Shepherds....peeing in the normal sense occurs about twice a day. My dogs "pee" multiple times because they're both markers (dog and a bitch), but unless the heat is excessive, they only poo once a day, and they're let out multiple times.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
She has started going more today. She has peed 4 times so far today and pooped 2 times today so I think she's getting on a better schedule.

Get her off the purina and try for a higher quality food.
What brand of food do you recommend? I can't really pay too much for a big bag. I know that the Purina is about $30, but I think that the most I would be able to go is about $50 per big bag. If I switch her to a different brand will she eliminate less?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Gir poops about twice a day (sometimes three, but usually only twice now that we have her on a really high quality food). She pees a lot, though. Between my fiance and me, our schedules work out so that at least one of us is almost always home with her during the day. We take her out every four hours or so, and more often that not she'll pee. She can hold it if she has to, but we enjoy walking her, taking her outside to play, etc. She also has water available at all times since she's such a physically active and playful dog.

She has started going more today. She has peed 4 times so far today and pooped 2 times today so I think she's getting on a better schedule.

What brand of food do you recommend? I can't really pay too much for a big bag. I know that the Purina is about $30, but I think that the most I would be able to go is about $50 per big bag. If I switch her to a different brand will she eliminate less?
EVO is what we feed Gir. It's expensive, but the way it's transformed her coat and physique are just incredible. If the dog can tolerate the higher protein, I would not feed anything else.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Even trying a midgrade food is ok.

Diamond Naturals, Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul, Nature's Recipe....those are good places to start.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
You may "pay more" for a higher quality food but your dog will need less of it so it all evens out.

some of the cheaper foods (if your stuck on price) that I would recommend are, Chicken Soup, and Natural Choice

The things to look for in a good dog food are

1. a named meat as the first (at least) 2 ingredients *Chicken, beef, lamb, ect...*
2. Corn and wheat free, these are put in dog food simply to make the product weigh more and these ingredient have apsolutly NO neutritional value to your dog, all they will do is make your dog Poop more, so they are a waste of money.

If you stick by these guidlines you will probably find a good food! and THEN look at price once you have met the above critera.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The things to look for in a good dog food are

1. a named meat as the first (at least) 2 ingredients *Chicken, beef, lamb, ect...*
2. Corn and wheat free, these are put in dog food simply to make the product weigh more and these ingredient have apsolutly NO neutritional value to your dog, all they will do is make your dog Poop more, so they are a waste of money.
Thanks I'll will keep this in mind.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts