Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!, I found this forum while looking up symptoms of pain that my pup is experiencing. I would love to get people's advice or opinions -
I have a 5 year old (very playful) Cockapoo. He runs and jumps all over the place, leaping off furniture, etc. He's very active with me (loves to hike) and has never had an injury or any problems before now. Two mornings ago, he was yelping in pain every time I picked him up. He seemed to have a some trouble getting up and down from things, and was walking much slower than usual. He was also shivering after he yelped. When I felt around, everything felt normal and he didn't show any outright signs of pain. I took him to the vet who said it could be a back injury, and gave an anti-inflammatory, which seems to help for short periods of time throughout the day. I know it has only been about 2 days, but he seems to be hurting quite a bit still in the mornings and before bedtime. For example, this morning he wouldn't go down the stairs in my apartment. Later, I picked him up and put him on my bed and as I was placing him down he yelped again and shivered for a little while after. The same thing happened going back up the apartment stairs later today. I can't tell where it is hurting him and I'm being gentle as possible, I just don't know if it is something that needs to just be rested for a few weeks or if he needs to go back to the vet and have more diagnostic tests done to see if it is more serious?

While doing an internet search I came across IVDD - I am by no means an expert but I see that his symptoms do resonate with this disease, which concerns me. I am not sure how common something like IVDD is in dogs, and if I should very seriously be worried or if it is likely just a pulled muscle.
Any past experiences, etc. would be helpful here. I am planning on calling the vet again in a day or two if I don't see any improvement. I feel so bad for him, he's just not himself right now and the strangest part is it seems like it just happened overnight.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
I would most definitely take him back to the vet and insist they figure out what's wrong with him rather than guess.

He could a knee injury or a spinal injury. Those are serious things that need to be dealt with. Running up and down stairs and jumping on and off of furniture can be a cause of this.

Take him back to the vet as soon as you can. In the mean time, try to confine him only to the floor so that he cannot try to jump on or off furniture. Try to keep him on the ground floor if you can. No running or jumping until this is sorted out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts