Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, I have been seeing a guy for 6 months now and his dogs (both under 20 pounds) love me at first. One of them has been having issues with me lately...she is continually peeing in my spot on the bed sometimes while I am sitting there and other times when I have gotten up to go grab something to drink or shower.... I am not sure what do to help correct the situation and my BF seems to think it's no big deal. :( I am getting so upset to the point where I have to always have spare clothes with me since I don't live there and although he's asked me to move in with him I am considering breaking it off due to the dog. *which hurts because I do love him* Is she just jealous???

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
also just a quick mention I am familiar with many breeds of dogs and am an animal lover which surprises me that she is acting this way towards me. It started about 2 weeks ago when we had started spending a little more time over there but not so much so that she would have any reason to think that I was invading her territory in my own opinion. My boyfriend and I both live in Iowa and have been enjoying as much time as we can outdoors with both of his dogs and regularly walk them but this problem is becoming too much to handle :(

·
Registered
89 Posts
If you're considering breaking up because the dog keeps peeing, then maybe you don't care for this guy enough. The dog can be trained to stop bad behavior, it's not a big deal.

·
Registered
7,435 Posts
That is frustrating and gross! I wouldn't want to sleep on a bed that had been peed on repeatedly by a dog.

First thing I'd do is ask the boyfriend to have a vet check done to rule out any medical issues like a urinary tract infection, just in case. I'd also make sure she's taken outside a lot more -- might be a good plan to take her out as soon as you get out of bed, before you go for that shower. If you're getting up for a drink, take her with you or shut the bedroom door so she doesn't have access to the bed at all.

Then I'd work on bonding more with the dog. Get the boyfriend to let you feed her at her mealtimes. Feed her by hand if possible. When you guys go for walks, you hold her leash. Take her for walks without the boyfriend or other dog sometimes, just you and her. Get some really tasty treats (many dogs love chicken hot dogs), cut them into tiny pieces (you don't want to make the dog fat, and all she needs is a little taste) and work on teaching her some fun commands. If this peeing is a behavior issue, making it so that you feel more like an owner to her, and that she knows only good things come from you, should help.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
If you're considering breaking up because the dog keeps peeing, then maybe you don't care for this guy enough. The dog can be trained to stop bad behavior, it's not a big deal.
But if it is the boyfriend's dog and it doesn't sound like the OP is living there. If the guy doesn't think it's "any big deal" it is somewhat of a problem. If the couple is doing more than sleeping in the bed, that could be part of why the dog is marking there. And of course, once it's been peed on, it's likely to happen again. There's no reason why the dog needs to be allowed on the bed or even loose in the bedroom until this behavior is under control.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
said dog has been to vet to be checked and there are no health issues. The vet believes it is jealousy because of the fact that I am also female and she feels I am taking her place. I feed her by hand daily and sometimes give her treats when she exhibits good behavior. I have also been playing with her on a normal basis and walking her when there is no one else around and also with my BF and other dog... My child has also been helping do the same things with her so that she doesn't have an issue with my 8 yr old. I am not sure what else to try to let her know that I am not taking her place but simply becoming a part of the whole "family" for lack of better word....

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I agree with Pawz.

If the BF thinks 'it's no big deal' and you're grossed out, then you need to communicate better with him. Don't get rid of the dog, but make some changes. Not sure if the dog is spayed but that might play into it too.

Regardless of if she's feeling put out or not, she should be put back to 'housebreaking 101' for a week or two to get it through to her that she's not to be marking. Have a long line on her in the house and watch her at all times, if she goes to mark pick up the line and get her butt out the door asap. It's not quite housebreaking but close.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the dog is spayed and has no health issues...I'm at a loss for what else to help fix the problem. I have been communicating with my BF and he still thinks she's just doing it out of spite. He doesn't seemed worried about it but it's disgusting to have to go home to shower and change clothes and or have to take clothes off and sit around waiting for him to finish washing/drying them. I have discussed putting her in her kennel while I am there but he is insistant on leaving her out because he's wanting us to move in with him soon and she will have to get used to the fact that I would be there more than I am now. If this behavior does not get fixed I will not be moving in with him anytime soon. I care for him very deeply and would love to move in, but can't have a dog peeing on all of my belongings because of jealousy or whatever.... Any other advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
42 Posts
My dog (male) is 2 years old, and began peeing on my boyfriend's side of the bed. In the end, I just kept the bedroom door closed, and refused to let the little guy downstairs - kept him upstairs with me.

Try catching her in the act. She has to learn she is NOT human, you are. You make the rules, you call the shots, you are here to stay! Don't let a dog ruin your relationship.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts