Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, new here. I have a beautiful 7 year old australian shephard / norwegian elkhound mix. Name is Sydney. She's big dog, around 90 lbs. Only problems she's had until recently is she had to have both rear ACLs repaired, which are all good now except the eventual arthritis which I combat with cosequin.

This weekend, late one night, I heard her tearing ass around the house. I thought she was chasing a mouse. I then heard her scratching furiously at the carpet so I went to check. Found her laying on her side sort of running in place, trying to lift her head and breathing erratically. I thought - is she having a horrible dream or -worse- did she run into the wall fast and break something in her neck or spine. I couldnt feel any trauma, then noticed she was trying to stand up but couldnt. I helped her but she was totally disoriented and pouring drool from her mouth. Finally she was able to stand and my girlfriend went to call a 24 hour emergency vet. When my dog got her balance she looked at me with frightened eyes, as if she didnt know me. Then I'm sure she lost her vision for about 30 seconds. Finally she came back to earth, though she was visibly shaken and in a fog. I got her to drink water and lay down. Phoned three different vets and they all said: Seizure. I ended up taking her to the best one in Syracuse and they ran a bunch of tests and xrays and kept her for 24 hour seizure watch. After I left, she had another small seizure lasting 30 seconds which they treated with Vallium. No seizures since then. Theyre waiting to see if she has another to give her medication. Apparently the test ruled most things out, leaving the diagnosis: Idiopathic Epilepsy.

My dog is an absolute angel. It appears nothing serious is impending and the seizures, if they continue, are most likely not life threatening. Wondering if anyone has had any experience with this and if so, what advise you might have? Really worried. I'm a 34 yr old male in the military, have seen many things, and this has me pretty stressed. I guess that comes naturally when loved ones are in trouble.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I don't have any advice for you as far as your dog's seizures because it looks like you're doing everything I would do and it sounds like you're in good hands.

But I do want to tell you that I have had seizures since I was 14 years old. I'm in my 50s now. I can't say it's the same for dogs, but my seizures are much harder for the people watching them than they are for me. Most of the time, I am not conscious of what is happening. When I am partially conscious, it's scary, but what scares me the most is people looking worried or asking me if I'm ok with this frightened look on their face. I wish they wouldn't even look at me in the eyes. I have told my loved ones, just to remain calm, keep a calm look on thier face (I know that's hard) and to speak in a calm, voice and say things like, "It's going to be ok, you're coming out of it, just relax and wait it out", etc...

If you can make sure your dog doesn't hurt herself and let her know that you're there without freaking out, you'll be doing her the best favor that you can. She can pick up on your extreme concern and it would be a lot better for her if the energy she got from you was calming, assured and loving energy. Just hold her when you can and let her hear your strong, calm, unworried voice, assuring her.

That's all the advice I can give. :)

·
Registered
155 Posts
My last Boston Terrier had seizures for the last 6 years of his life, he lived to be 19 years old. He never received medication because of his age and because he only had one or two episodes a year.( that we were witness to) It was very frightening to watch, though :( Sometimes all you can do is to try to keep them safe and be there to soothe them when they come out of it. I wish you and your baby well and I hope the vets can help her~

·
Registered
296 Posts
Sounds very similar to my dog Shelby's first seizure. i thought a squirrel was lose in the bedroom! Basically I left the vets office with "if she doesnt have more than 2 a month we can't do anything for her"
I decided to do some research and found that nutrition can play a very large role in seizures. I switched her to a more holistic food with high quality ingredients, and its been 8 years since she had any seizing episodes.
What are you feeding now? Have you read the ingredients?

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Lakota was just recently diagnosed with epilepsy.... It sounds like (hopefully) it was just an insident for you, it could be newly applied medicine, who knows. What you have described IS a seisure, When 'Kota' had his first, it was the same...We were sleeping and I heard this rucus in the living room, twenty feet away, he was also running on his side, with crazy eyes when he stopped, lots of foam and he couldn't walk strait. He ran into a wall and froze till he came around.... IT WAS Sooooo Scary.... He snapped out of it like we just got home from work...and came in the door, AT 3:00am!!??... I called the Vet, he had another one in a few hours. He now is on Phenobarbital and doing great!! We have modified his meds a couple times but he has what is called cluster seisures. There is hope, moniter his behavier and love them as always.....

I love this post... I have been trying to learn to deal with something new in my life but... their is more to that. Make sure they are safe... you can pull their back legs to a safe area, when they thrash. I also have been rubbing his back as he comes out of it and talking to him. He can't tell what's happening but the more you you reassure as he comes around the less likley he will prance around, trying to gain his perspective.... My boy prances around for at least 45 min. before his (and my) faculties are OK!!

A squirrel loose,........ I'm soo greatful for your post. I'm not so crazy....LOL!!

I love their FURRY faces!!! Cute pictures!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
My 5 month old is a Juvenile Epileptic. I did every diet out there and his seizures would not stop. I did the raw diet; the cooked diet; vitamins. I found a food called Blue Buffalo and I love it! Since he has been on this food, so far so good. He is also on Phenobarb and Potassium Bromide. My Mic was having Grand Mal seizures; which sound like what your pup is having. There is hope. I wish you the best of luck. And if your dog goes into a seizure, put a ice back on his back. It reduces the seizures and it reduces the recovery from the seizure. Mic didnt walk around lost anymore after we did that. Hope your baby is ok. You are in my prayers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So sorry to hear about your dog. Our Weimaraner had a seizure when she was @ 5 years old. Our vet told us it was "adult type onset epilepsy"; said it unexpectedly happens when dogs (that are prone to it) are @5 yrs old. "Grand Mal" seizure are horrible to watch; she, oddly enough, would have them while napping during the day. Nothing while active, only while 'sleeping'. We would just stroke her, move things out of way so she couldn't hurt self, speak to her calmly. Even on phenobarb, she would average 1x a month. Vet didn't want to do more meds, unless we asked, cuz of the side effects. Dog would be confused, abit frightened and very thirsty when she came out of seizure. Otherwise, prob one of the best dogs I've owned in my life.
We maintained her on phenobarb for @ a year. Then, sometime when we were not present, the vet speculated she had a horrible seizure that might have resulted in her striking her head on something. She displayed classic 'human stroke' symptoms. Head would pull to one side, drooling, loss of muscle control, anxious, etc. Vet took more MRIs, CATs, etc, plus potassium bromide. Recommended we take her to UCDavis Vet school. Their diagnosis was either she had suffered that awful blow to her head during a seizure (she was having spiking fevers the entire time we were trying to save her) and prob had spinal meningitis causing the fevers. Or, she had a brain tumor......
My dad wanted to just give her more time, but after a week of seeing her health decline with absolutely NO improvement, I had to tell him it wasn't fair to her. We all agreed that if it was a brain tumor, it wasn't fair to her to go thru the operation. The meningitis never improved.
It's been easily 12 years since we lost her and I tear up aevery time I think about it (like now). She was best dog we ever had...fantastic hunter and even better watchdog. As a 90 pound female (gorgeously proportioned), I could take her for a walk at 11p at night and not worry.
Don't mean to scare you, just want to be honest on my experience. Enjoy and love your girl every day you have her.
I have framed picture of my present dog, a chow/shiba mix, with the following poem with it. Not sure of the author...
"She is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are her life, her love, her leader. She will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of her heart. You owe it to her to be worthy of such devotion."

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our Kota only has had them in his sleep as well... I sounds like yours might have had one longer than the few minutes as usual. The longer the seizure the longer without air, which causes brain damage. It's to bad your vet didn't look into readjusting her meds, unless her liver was bad, we have readjusted three times and he hasn't had one since march.

Sorry for your loss, best wishes on your newest furry baby!!

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Idiopathic epilepsy simply means they don't know what is causing them. Could be environmental, electrolyte imbalance,stress related or triggered by something as simple as a sound or light flash.
She may never have another seizure.
The most important thing you can do is stay calm when a seizure happens.
Keep a chart.
When it happens, how long it lasts, how long "recovery" takes etc. Whether she had a change in exercise, environment, food etc. This will help, if the seizures happen again, to keep track as to what the possible triggers may be, whether they are getting worse or if they remain "simple".
If a dog only has one or two seizures every couple of months most vets do not want to medicate and that is good, anti seizure meds can be very hard on the body, harder than the seizures themselves. If the seizures are long and frequent then medication is often necessary..it's balancing out the risks.

When your dog seizes. Keep your hands away from her face, she may bite reflexively (remember she has no control over ANYTHING at this point) but you can speak to her calmly and stroke her body with slow movements and be there to talk to her when she is coming out of it. Disorientation is normal afterwards, as is physical exhaustion.

Many dogs do fine long term with a seizure disorder, so don't panic.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sounds very similar to my dog Shelby's first seizure. i thought a squirrel was lose in the bedroom! Basically I left the vets office with "if she doesnt have more than 2 a month we can't do anything for her"
I decided to do some research and found that nutrition can play a very large role in seizures. I switched her to a more holistic food with high quality ingredients, and its been 8 years since she had any seizing episodes.
What are you feeding now? Have you read the ingredients?
Hi HORSEandHOUND, can I ask what food you chose to feed? I have read so many dog food labels I think I'm crosseyed now!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I used Blue Buffalo food. My dog loved it. Fortunately my digs seizures have stopped. He is no longer on any of his medications but I still feed him that food. Its a little expensive but worth it if it stopped his seizures, you know! Best of luck to you and I hope everything works out ok!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm not a vet, but a human doctor. My experience as a treater is exactly as Four is Company described. It is much worse for the witnesses of seizures than it is for the person actually having the seizure. I would think it is the same for dogs. Sounds like you're doing everything right. Sorry you have to deal with it.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I'm so sorry about your dog...what a difficult thing to go through, for both of you!

When it happens, all you can do is comfort her and make sure there is nothing around that can hurt her. Make sure any doors that lead to stairs are closed at all times. After a seizure, your dog will be disoriented, scared because she doesn't know what went on. I would also keep track of anything that triggers a seizure.

My brother had a lab that had epilepsy. He had Valium on hand at all times in case. I think it's a vial and you have to shoot the valium up his rectum. Anyway, that was in case a seizure occurred within 5 minutes of another one. The seizures did seem to decrease when they changed his food (from Eukanuba to Wellness). One interesting thing he did do was have an animal communicator 'speak' to his dog. I don't know if you believe in stuff like this but the lady was only given a picture of the dog and told nothing else other than to ask some questions. My sister-in-law wanted to know if he was aware of his seizures and if he felt any pain. Tyko told the communicator that he wasn't aware of the seizures but sometimes felt scared because he didn't know what had just happened. He also said stuff like he knew he was loved by my brother and his wife and that he was really attached to their other dog, Annie. The communicator also asked about their other 3 cats - she was not told anything about Annie or the cats! She described their personalities to a tee! Who knows but the main thing was that Tyko wasn't in any pain, according to the communicator.

One thing to look for as well, is when you look into your dog's eyes, sometimes one eye will look blank, like vacant. This is an indicator of a headache which might be a precursor to a seizure or occur after a seizure. So keep an eye out for that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
othat's my problem, my chinuahua. 4 pounds has liver trouble. just found out a week ago, now he is having a seizure every day. (some bad and some not to bad) he put him on a diet that don't have alot of protein. (he thinks alot of protein is the reason) he don't wont to put him on med. right now because the med. is bad on liver) which i know for sure because i have seizure. just hoping this will help' only has them if sleeping or reasting)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I had a Shepherd-Collie growing up. At about 12 years old he started having seizures. I'll admit it was painful to watch. But I think FourIsCompany is right. It was harder to watch, then for him to go through. (It took me longer to recover than he did!)

When he was going through a seizure I would simple sit next to him. I would speak in a low calm voice. Just talking to him until he came out of it. It seemed to help (but of course that could be wishful thinking - I was about 15 years old)

But my heart goes out to you.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Wrinkles had a seizure today :( he's never had one before, but we've only had him a couple months. we rushed him to the vet, and the vet said much of what you all are saying.

Essentially, it's much much worse to witness a seizure then for the dog going through it. He said the important thing is to keep him calm and quiet when he comes out of it, as he will be disoriented. He stressed it's very important to NOT go near his mouth, as he won't know who you are. You could get hurt.

We've been directed to keep a calender of it occuring. If it happens again this month, we're to call him, and he'll try a low dose medication. The only time we need to be very concerned is if it goes on for more than a few minutes, as he could spike a fever. We're supposed to try to time it, if it goes on much longer then a few minutes we need to get him to the emergency clinic.

Hope this helps a bit :( I know this is super tough, I was asleep when it happened. My SO Brian woke me up in a panic that Wrinkles had a seizure. We thankfully have an excellent vet, and we feel much better after having seen him.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know it is so very hard to watch them go thru them. my has having them everynite for about a week now. but thank god he didn't have one last nite. i've got a great vet too, he or me talks over the phone everyday. we r going to watch him this week end to see if he has anymore. if he does he will have to go med. but we r hoping he don't have to go med

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
Phenobarbitol is excellent, effective, (and cheap) for treating seizures BUT don't let your vet fool you THEY CAN BE FATAL... I had a client with a dane that had NEVER had a seizure,then started just like you describe.. mild at first and infrequent until the day he had 6-7 in a row and died in Colleen's arms. Get him on the meds. Anytime you talk about a neurological disorder there is always reason for great concern. I don't mean to scare you or make it seem like the next seizure might be his last but you never know. I also know plenty of dogs that have lived a long life with seizures, controlled with meds and lived long lives until passing of old age.

·
Registered
12 Posts
he is going to put him on med. i'm going to pick it up sat, that way i will have it and start him on it when we both thinks he need it. but he will watch him as we go

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
OK I'm confused.. what do you mean start him on it when you think he needs it??? HE NEEDS it now. He's already had seizures... pheno isn't a treat per instance kinda drug... it is a preventative that needs to be given daily to prevent seizures in the first place. What med is your vet recommending? Why would you hope to not have to go with meds??? thats kinda silly? Sorry but your vet sounds like a goof. ANY dog with a consistant constant chronic seizure disorder fries a little bit of his brain every time he has a seizure...what happens the next timehe has one and doesn't comeout of it??? Then what's your vet gona say... ooops we should have started meds when he was having them every night??? God people sometimes put too much blind faith in their vets and most of them are idiots. Do some reserch yourself and read on line. Pheno isn't gonna break the bank, is one of the most effective seizure meds out there and it could just save your dog. Taking a wait and see attitude only works if your dog was only occasionally having seizures like once every 6 months. Sorry if this seems harsh but it IS your dog's life at stake here. Seizures aren't a casual problem but super serious. If this was your kid would you wait and see???

1 - 20 of 24 Posts