Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I rescued a shelter puppy last week, and instead of the joyous event that I'd expected (albeit a TON of work, which I was prepared for) it has been mostly stress, anxiety, frustration and sometimes panic.

Since the moment I picked her up, she's had chronic diarrhea, sometimes up to 8 times each day/night, and when I took her to the vet the day after I got her I was told that she has Whipworms, Coccidia, and Giardia.

She is being medicated for all of those things, but it will take a while for her to get better, and this has definitely made potty training and crate training a real challenge. (Like, near impossible.) As if things we're difficult enough, she was scared half to death on a walk by a neighbor's huge, mean dog who was off leash and charged her, so now she doesn't want to walk anymore and I have to work through that as well. She was wonderful on our short walks before that, and we needed to take quite a few, but now she just digs in her heels and won't budge unless I squat down every 10 feet and call her. I'm too tired to do this 1,000 times a day. I'm getting so frustrated that although I love her to bits and wouldn't dream of sending her back because she's "defective," I wonder what I've gotten myself into.

On top of all of that, I'm just plain worried about her. There is so much conflicting information out there about how serious (or not) these things are or can be. I've
asked the vet, obviously, and they assure me that she'll be okay, but they're not available 24/7 for when there's a new development and I have SO many questions! One day she poops a lot, next day she doesn't poop at all. So I think, "Well, at least she's not vomiting, I'm sure it'll be fine." Then she vomits. And of course this is on a Sunday when the vet's closed and I can't call to ask about it. :confused:

That's why I've joined this forum. It seems like a great source for round-the-clock advice and help, or even just moral support. Because sometimes I really feel like I'm losing it.

I'll post all of my millions of questions elsewhere in appropriate threads, but I ask for patience and understanding as a) I'm really new to using forums and may run afoul
of standard operating procedure on occasion, not knowing better and b) I'm so flippin' exhausted and busy watching the puppy like a hawk for signs she's about to have
an accident or chew and destroy something that I really don't have time to scour past topics for answers. I know that's annoying and I apologize in advance! Maybe
I can get pointed in the right direction by some kind soul.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Hi! Don't despair, it'll be okay. Puppies often pick up parasites and the meds will work eventually. (The pooping a ton and then not pooping is just the entire bowel getting cleared out and then needing more time to get stuff to poop out.)

I wouldn't stress about walking her right now, or housetraining. She's sick and scared, so just let her rest, regain her strength and get used to you. Obviously, you don't want her pooping all over your house, but don't stress it right now. She likely can't really hold it anyway, between the parasites and the meds, so don't worry if she has an accident. You can really work on it once she's healthier.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry to hear your puppy experience isn't going well. It really tough dealing with those things in a puppy, especially when you're new to the whole experience to begin with. But it will get better rest assured. It'll take time for your puppy to heal and for her body to get back to normal. It's extremely frustrating, I know. I had to deal with something similar when I got my first puppy too.

I also agree with this:
I wouldn't stress about walking her right now, or housetraining. She's sick and scared, so just let her rest, regain her strength and get used to you.
How old is she and what breed(s)?

·
Registered
9 Posts
ohhhhhh I feel your pain. I really do. When Olive was a wee pup I often wondered if I'd ever see a solid, normal looking poop come out of her.:doh: Lol... And walks were tough too since we lived in the city where our vet warned us not to walk her on the sidewalks because parvo was so prevalent. So all of us felt pretty cooped up only being able to take her for a short walk down the driveway until she had more of her boosters.

It does get better. And it sounds like you are on top of it by going to the vet and doing what needs to be done. The meds will work soon hopefully and you'll have a fun, happy, playful pup back on your hands. It is a tremendous amount of work though....even with alllllll the research and prep work I did - my husband and I were still surprised!
Good LUCK!!!!

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
The first thing I'd recommend to you is to call the shelter and inform them of how sick your puppy is. Some of those things, like Giardia, are highly contagious and the shelter should be made aware that they could have an outbreak if they aren't careful.

The second thing I'd recommend is to find a vet that IS available 24/7, even just as a backup. The last thing you want to be doing at 4:00 am when your puppy has an emergency is googling emergency vets in your area.

Outside of that - I feel your pain. I just purchased a puppy, and watching him like a hawk does get extremely exhausting. Not being able to watch football, or get up and leave the room for a snack, or go to the bathroom, without thinking "where is the little four-legged fiend and what is he getting into now" is really tiresome.

I'd recommend just stopping, taking a deep breath, and realizing that you're going to get through this and your puppy is going to turn into an amazing dog some day :) And then, before you know it, she'll be old and grumpy and need encouragement to go up the stairs and you'll be thinking "I wish she was a puppy again".

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replies! Even just venting about it and being in communication with other human beings is a great comfort. I've felt so isolated in sick puppy prison. My puppy is about 11 weeks old (we think) and a Golden/Shepherd-mix mix of some sort. That's a bit of a mystery, too. She's such a sweet girl (when she's not being a naughty demon pup, that is) and I feel so bad for her... I just can't wait until she's better.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did notify the shelter and they got very defensive and unpleasant, insinuated that the puppy did not have any of those things when she left their care and that they're not responsible for what she contracts in MY care, then cut off communication with me. I was pretty shocked.

Also, we do have a 24-hour emergency animal hospital, and I would definitely take her there if something escalated to a real emergency, but it's just hard to know as a new dog owner what's an emergency and what's just me being a Nervous Nelly. Of course, so far, thank goodness all of the things that COULD have turned out to be emergencies resolved themselves, but not before I spent countless hours freaking out first. :/

·
Registered
120 Posts
Also, we do have a 24-hour emergency animal hospital, and I would definitely take her there if something escalated to a real emergency, but it's just hard to know as a new dog owner what's an emergency and what's just me being a Nervous Nelly. Of course, so far, thank goodness all of the things that COULD have turned out to be emergencies resolved themselves, but not before I spent countless hours freaking out first. :/
Emergency Vets are not just for "real emergencies" I have taken my girls in plenty of times for vomiting/diarrhea that happens on a weekend. Usually they need some fluids and some meds to make it all stop. I swear they only get sick on the weekends. If I'm not sure if I should bring one of my dogs in, I just call the E Vet and tells them what is going on. In my experience the staff are very friendly and helpful. They have always been honest with me on whether my dog(or friend's cat in one instance) should come in or not.

·
Registered
344 Posts
My puppy is about 11 weeks old (we think) and a Golden/Shepherd-mix mix of some sort.
Hi H&W- I've taken care of three golden shepherds and would love to see a pic of yours.

< My guy in the avatar was a golden shepherd.

Also this girl:

And this lady, who is now 7 and taking a snooze beside me after our walk in the forest. Sorry for the fuzzy pic:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi H&W- I've taken care of three golden shepherds and would love to see a pic of yours.

Hi! I have been trying to upload a picture of my pup, but keep getting a "File Upload Failed" message. The image is resized according to the rules, so I'm not sure what's wrong.

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I did notify the shelter and they got very defensive and unpleasant, insinuated that the puppy did not have any of those things when she left their care and that they're not responsible for what she contracts in MY care, then cut off communication with me. I was pretty shocked.

Yeah shelters can be jerks not all but some can. As for the puppy, for now I would set her up in an ex pen in an area of the house that has floors that are easy to clean with newspapers or puppy pads for now until she is well. As for the walking, just refrain from the walking and just take her out for potty breaks until she is well, she likely doesnt want to walk because she is feeling bad right now and you want her to enjoy walks :)

I know its hard, just be patient with her, she is a sick little girl right now, things will get better, I promise. When helped me was finding a supplement called Nupro, and I supplement with digestive enzymes, the digestive enzymes would help your girl because the worming meds also kill the good bacteria in their guts. I order all my stuff from chewy .com (just copy /paste without spaces, it will moderate me if I try to link it), they have great customer service! Highly recommend them!

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Thumbs up for Chewy! They're an awesome company :)

I agree with everything everyone has said so far. Dealing with demon puppies is hard enough (and they are ALL little demons...lol) Add a messy illness and it seems intolerable. We've all been there at some point.

Hang in there...just love on your girl for now and deal with the walking stuff later. :)

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Thumbs up for Chewy! They're an awesome company :)

I agree with everything everyone has said so far. Dealing with demon puppies is hard enough (and they are ALL little demons...lol) Add a messy illness and it seems intolerable. We've all been there at some point.

Hang in there...just love on your girl for now and deal with the walking stuff later. :)
Yes, yes they are and I wish every company opporated like they do!

·
Registered
788 Posts
Hi everyone,

I rescued a shelter puppy last week, and instead of the joyous event that I'd expected (albeit a TON of work, which I was prepared for) it has been mostly stress, anxiety, frustration and sometimes panic.

Since the moment I picked her up, she's had chronic diarrhea, sometimes up to 8 times each day/night, and when I took her to the vet the day after I got her I was told that she has Whipworms, Coccidia, and Giardia.
Forums are wonderful things. You should use them always. :)

Your dog HAD whipworms. They're the easy thing to deal with. There's single dose meds that deal with them. My pup had giardia and was just not great with solid stool. That took some time to deal with, but the treatment works. The coccidia treatment just stops them from reproducing so it stays there until the organisms all die off or the dogs immune system responds.

The puppyhood thing gets a lot easier around 5 months. Just think as this as a wet run for having human kids.

You can go to a 24/7 vet for anything. It's a private business. They just cost more.

In terms of the shelter, they're chronically underfunded, don't always have the best staff and have a lot to deal with. They would be getting a LOT of those calls if something was systematically wrong. Did you talk with the manager?

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
Most of the shelters I have personally dealt with are .... well let's just say their personal relation skills leave more to be desired.

If she is just being treated for parasites, then I would just kind of forgo the house training and just manage her until she is better, like I said, set up an ex pen in a room with a floor that is easily cleaned with their crate or their bed on one side and news papers or a potty pad or litter box, or potty patch.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey there, I empathize with you concerning puppy training. Both of our dogs were an intestinal parasite nightmare when we saved them from persons on Craig's List. Both of our pups had ALL kinds of intestinal worms and diarrhea until said infestation was completely cured. It is normal for the body to literally clear out the guts when infested with worms/parasites, and very concerning for the pet parent. Thankfully, these stressful situations do cure themselves, especially if you've seen the vet to get treatment. It will get easier - I assure you. Eventually, you'll look back at this horrific time and be very happy it was such a short stint...any longer, and you might've lost it. :)

If an X-Pen is too expensive, there are other methods to contain the dog in the area you desire. We purchased a doggie exercise pen our dogs sleep in at night (in conjunction with the crates,) and this works perfectly. This means if the puppy has an accident, she doesn't have to sleep in it (have done this for years with multiple pups without issue). Once bowel/bladder control occurs, slowly remove the puppy pad option. Casey is already making it through an 8 hour night - if I sleep greater than 8 hours, I might wake up to a used puppy pad...but otherwise, she's really doing great in this regard.

Many folks get up several times in the night to ensure their pups have no accidents, but there are also those on the reciprocal that must get up for a number of reasons in the AM - which means they need to rest at night. I'm one of those people, and my newest pup, Casey has access to an area that is cordoned off as dog territory. She uses a puppy pad if she can't hold it, and I don't provide feedback if she needs to use it. For all of the years I've coexisted with dogs, I've never had one that permanently uses puppy pads. We've trained the dogs to use the doggie door during the day, and if need be use a puppy pad at night when we have it blocked with a security door to keep out any potential unwelcome guests (i.e. burglars - :)). We also have hard floors in our home so no issue with accidents, which has played to the advantage when keeping dogs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I totally get you!! And have felt UR pain!!! Our Cocker Spaniel got giardia twice the second time I had a melt down I just handed her to my husband and got in the shower (cause I steped in the poo) and cried. I heard him say to the puppy "You better get well soon or mommys putting you on EBay". It's funny now then not so much. Up multiple times a night cleaning her and the crate. I was so tired. I was also very concerned about her getting crate training. The good news once it all cleared up she got potty training and crate in no time loved her crate and never had accidents in it. That was 7 years ago and we've never had parasite issues since.

As for walking our current puppy was similar we got a mini Aussie cause supposedly they like activity and walks she does not like walks at all. But we make her at first it was by using play I kept a toy and every time she put on the breaks and would lay down the toy came out. Then once she started to like chicken I used that. The walks started slow then increased in time and distance. I was mindfull of avoiding routes with dogs cause if we crossed any she made a VERY FAST bee line home. Now she will cower a little but I put the treat in front of her nose and that helps her move forward. I will only realease the treat when she's moved passed it and shows no scared behavior. Hope this helped. Hang in there it's so worth it!

·
Registered
7,842 Posts
I will say that I am not a fan of paper or pad training but when you have a sick puppy, you gotta do what you gotta do til they are well, LOL.

Lincoln had a bout of giardia when he was a puppy, it sucks because the meds they have to get for it taste horrible and they have to get it once a day :( . I remember waking up to a horrible smell and finding that Lincoln had not only diarrhea in his crate but puked in there too! he somehow avoided getting any on him, nothing like having to wash a crate out at 5 am in 30 degree weather with a puppy wiggling around you like it's the greatest thing in the world while YOU want to kill them ... LOL. Long story short we got his giardia cleared up and he is a very happy and healthy 2.5 year old.

I later learned that aussies are notorious for digestive issues and sensitive tummies, GSD (I believe you mentioned your pup might be a GSD mix) can be sensitive too. What food are you feeding your pup? I have found that Lincoln can't handle foods that are too high in fat, he does best on a food with high protein / carbs and calories not from fat. I also give him digestive enzymes and probiotics, which helps him not have tummy flare ups. Enzymes will also help with the giardia especially when she is getting worming meds, which often purge the system of everything (check with your vet first though before giving any supplements).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts