Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,

I wish had joined to forum under better circumstances, but I was scouring the web for ideas and thought I'd ask you guys for ideas/experiences. Any insights would be quite helpful!

I have a 1.5 yr old mixed breed dog (~43 lbs currently) that abruptly started vomiting (no diarrhea but passing stool!) a week ago with inability to hold down food/water. After going in an out of vet office repeatedly over the past week, his blood work came back with elevated CPK and AST, which could also be because he was struggling a lot during the blood draw. Fecal test was negative. X-ray showed a large distended stomach with air and fluid, but no bloat or obvious foreign body. I took him in two days ago for an gastroduodenal endoscopy where they found a possible gastric abscess along with an inflamed duodenum. They took biopsies, but results won't be back for another week or so. So not a clear diagnosis, but better than nothing, I guess.

In the mean time, they gave me antibiotics, reglan, and prilosec for treatment with a bland diet. I'm having trouble with the bland diet. As much as he loved any food when he was healthy, he just won't touch chicken/rice or chicken/pumpkin. So far, he will eat hand-fed cooked shredded chicken breasts, saltine crackers, yogurt/kefir, or small dollops of peanut butter, and he is drinking water -- but everything can only be done in very small quantities (less than 1/4 cup every 4 hours). Anything more than that, he will throw it all up as soon as he has any sort of movement. I'm trying to stay calm and patient...but it's hard watching him so sick.

So my questions to you guys: Any tips or suggestions for other things to try to ease his nausea/vomiting and avoid dehydration? His condition, while generally stable, really hasn't changed much in the past 4-5 days, so I'm also wondering how long he can keep on like this. Is it too much for me to expect some sort of improvement in another week?

Thanks all for any thoughts or suggestions,
Koda's Worried Mom

(Also cross posted to the Dog Health section)

1 - 1 of 1 Posts