Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to this kind of forum/research, but am in need of some advise from other bloodhound owners that might have gone through or are going through a similar situation. My boyfriend and I recently got a bloodhound who is 7 months now and is mildly food aggressive. He will growl if we pet him while he's eating his food, even more so if there is table scraps mixed with his dog food. We will scold him and tell him no, take away his food for a period of time and then return it to him, I have attempted to hand feed him and also add one handful of food at a time to his bowl while he eats, and he doesn't growl or get aggressive during those times. But if we put the food in his bowl, he will put his nose to it, look to see if we are still standing near him and then growl. He knows he's doing wrong because he will piddle when he sees us standing there. My hope is he will outgrow this but I know we need to address it now. Any suggestions or similar stories appreciated.

·
Registered
4,727 Posts
By taking his food away, you are telling him he has to guard his food. I would keep adding food to his bowl while he is eating, then walk away. There is no need to pat him while he is eating. Once he realizes you are not going to take his food away, he will feel safe as obviously if he is peeing you are making him nervous.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would just let him eat in peace, it takes all of five minutes. I don’t like people messing with me and taking my food away either. If you have children that you worry may get in his way while eating, feed him in a different/safe room and close the door.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts