Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my name is Julia.
I currently have 5 dogs, 3 coming in to my home at over a year. I just got a new baby boy name Nugget.
Nugget is 4 months old and I believe he just got his first "RED ROCKET" or erection if you must. It went down fine with no problems, but I was curious to know just how old do dog's/puppies normally start getting these? Is there a age too early? Do you believe he will start humping/mounting soon, how would I prevent this? I do not want to have him nurtured. I have had very mixed opinions' on this by vet's and experts alike. Some believe in neutering because it prevents testicular cancers. Some believe it prevents dogs from being aggressive and controls their behaviors.
Others believe that neutering does really nothing of the sort. I tend to agree with the "others". My none neutered dogs are very healthy looking in stature and not aggressive at all... but my BF has two dogs that are neutered and have picked up ALLOT of weight after getting fixed and are still very aggressive and haven't changed in behavior at all for the better...
Do you believe that getting a dog neutered makes them put on weight? Because this is what I have seen.

My dogs are not outside dogs and are very well watched, so I don't worry about them over populating the world with mutts! (which is why most believe in chopping the sacks). I am pretty set on not neutering my new pup unless of course it really needed to be done, but obviously I want what is best for my dog so I will take any advise. Thanks and have a good day.<Julia,Ashley,Nugget,Tee,Midge,Meanie& Evlis.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
I dont' know what the official data is, but I've seen 12-week old babies get excited. He probably will start humping soon, and it's normal behavior.

I don't put much stock in the aggression theory of neutering; whatever difference it makes is marginal relative to training and home environment. You do have to keep an eye on them in the presence of females (whether spayed or not) or other intact males. If you're confident that you can keep your dogs under control, then it should be ok to keep them intact. I'm a little concerned because you have 5 dogs, which can make controlling them outside a bit difficult, but you have more knowledge on the subject than I.

As far as putting on weight... I don't have research to back me up, but my feeling is that it's an old wive's tale dating back to the days of eunichs. Obviously, neutering will change hormone levels that affect growth & development (which is why a lot of vets recommend waiting until at least 6 months), but I'm skeptical that it has the direct effect people ascribe to it. Most of the dogs in my neighborhood are fixed, and I see the same normal distribution of skinny dogs, fat dogs, and medium dogs; from my observations, most of the difference seems to be due to breed and behavior.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts