Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ya'll,
I have a couple of questions. I have a lab mix that is very young and should have lots of energy but she seems to have really low energy levels and doesn't seem to like to play. Anyone have any ideas on what would be a good way to try to get her more engaged in playing?
She is very well trained on and off leash but this seems to be her only problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
she is 7 months old. I have tried treats, playing with her tug o war (light of course), playing with a ball on the ground with treats even tried soccer. I don't know what else to try, she will only run with me.
She was mostly trained by me using snapping (clicker) couldn't always keep a clicker on me and whistles. She has a great recall. She hasn't been beaten since I got her. She was dropped out of a big dodge truck lifted sky high on the side of the freeway when she was 2-3 months old

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Poor thing! Good for you for taking her on.
I have three dogs. My first is the most laid back dog ever. Doesn't really care for playing, except for an occasional game of chase, and tug. Doesn't like fetch or anything else. He would most like to cuddle and get belly rubs.
The second dog is totally different. LOVES fetch. Would play that 90% of the day if she could. Also loves chase and tug.
The third is a mix of the two.
Dogs are all different.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
We tend to think of labs and lab mixes as dogs with higher energy, (for good reason). While most are very playful and energetic, some simply aren't. I raised a lab from 8 weeks old, who I swore had no personality. He was very sweet and obedient and enjoyed training, however, he really didn't like to play. He did enjoy playing hide and seek and he enjoyed being with us and meeting people, he just didn't do much else. He is now a guide dog for a gentleman out in California. My first lab was not very playful either. He just wanted to hang with his family and go on walks, (not much to him). My current lab is playful with lots of personality, but not high energy. I guess I'm just saying every dog is different.

I'm not sure what resources you have available to you, but training classes, games like scent detection and hide & seek, or swimming and nice relaxing walks may help you bring out more in her. They will help mentally stimulate her, and the more positive exposure to various activities, the more likely, you will find something she enjoys doing. If your interested in getting her certified as a therapy dog, she might be a candidate for that.

Keep working with her, but my recommendation is, enjoy her as she is. : )

·
Registered
11,332 Posts
I would get some basic (and fairly inexpensive) bloodwork done if you think she is low-energy in the lethargic or unhealthy sense. Thyroid check for example.

But if she does HAVE energy but just no real interest in "play" , then it is likely just personality. 3doglady gives some good suggestions on finding different things that interest her. Not every dog (even labs) like the typical games/play. I know one lab, a service dog, who is only about 3 years old but since he was young has been the laziest lug of a dog ever. Energy level like a senior bulldog. But he's healthy and obviously content just watching the world and being himself.

My dog basically refuses to "play"- no fetch, no flirt pole and even other dogs are only ho-hum. But he loves a good run, a good hike and sniffing stuff is the best thing ever.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I would get some basic (and fairly inexpensive) bloodwork done if you think she is low-energy in the lethargic or unhealthy sense. Thyroid check for example.

But if she does HAVE energy but just no real interest in "play" , then it is likely just personality. 3doglady gives some good suggestions on finding different things that interest her. Not every dog (even labs) like the typical games/play. I know one lab, a service dog, who is only about 3 years old but since he was young has been the laziest lug of a dog ever. Energy level like a senior bulldog. But he's healthy and obviously content just watching the world and being himself.

My dog basically refuses to "play"- no fetch, no flirt pole and even other dogs are only ho-hum. But he loves a good run, a good hike and sniffing stuff is the best thing ever.
Excellent point about the bloodwork. Some health conditions can be the underlying cause of low energy behaviors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
She has plenty of energy. She just doesn't do anything with it until my Pry is around to play with. She will run with me but that's it. I can't run her hard though because of how young she still is.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts