Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my name is Katie. My husband and I now have 5 rescued animals 3 dogs and 2 cats. The cats were here first and were found by a dumpster in the country when they were just kittens about 8 years ago. Last year we decided to get a dog. There had been 5 attempted break-ins to our home while I was here in the house! We had wanted a dog anyway but kept putting it off due to the increased level of responsibility and our busy schedules. So I found an ad on craigslist for a 6 month old labrador puppy that needed to be rehomed. (Hubby is allergic to some breeds but ok with labs). So I went to see it, turns out he's lab/border collie his name is Jake and he is wicked smart, easy to train, AMAZING dog. Then this spring we decided he would be happier with a companion and we got 4 month old Sasha from the high kill city pound she is a newfoundland/border collie mix and is over my head on training to come! She runs off any chance she can and drives us crazy. Now last week my mom and I went to Wal-Mart to pick up a few items and there was second chance dog rescue with tiny labrador pups. The rescue group said that the pups and mama dog had been seized from a breeder who was not caring properly for the animals, mama dog was immediately put down by the pound because she was in such bad shape...poor pups only 5 weeks old and now no mama. My mom and I both ended up adopting a puppy. We are getting them together often for play dates since they really need their litter mates at such a young age. The "breeder" (more accurate name would be criminal!) who had the dogs had them in small kennels living in their own feces. We of course took the pups straight to the vet. Pups had fleas, lice, round worm, hook worm and giardia. They are on medicine for all things mentioned and my mama's pup is also on medicine for a missing patch of hair (could be lice related/ could be ringworm) is being treated for ringworm regardless as advised by vet. So we've had the pups one week now. My mom and I both have giardia from the pups and are also on harsh medicine to treat it which is rough. Sasha (8 mo. old newfie mix) is making up for being an unruly pain by being a super sweet mama figure to the pups even pawed at me to give the pup to her when he bit me too hard she placed her paw on him and held him lovingly but firmly to the floor and put a stuffed toy in his face! Jake is warming up very slowly and I am giving him some extra love so he doesn't feel threatened. Male cat hangs out with new puppy, my female cat is ticked off. But anyway I have never had such a young puppy and appreciate any/all advice. The past two days I have been concerned as he seems like he is uncomfortable/hot. I only take him out for potty/house training and otherwise is in our air conditioned home. It was 96 degrees here today and 99% humidity! and similar temp./humidity yesterday. However he and all my pets are inside in the ac (73 degree house). Yet he will start whining when trying to sleep and get up and move, I have picked him up and moved him to the brick fireplace hearth (which is cooler) and then he sleeps peacefully. This afternoon he seemed uncomfortable enough that a put him upside down in my lap and held a cool wet cloth on his belly which he liked. What's up with this? Is this normal? Is it just because he is so little and on so many meds to fight off so many parasites? He eats well... especially the boiled chicken and rice I cooked for him and gobbles up puppy food too. Drinks plenty of fresh water. Pees and poops as normal. Plays and bounces around the house. Just seems to be getting too hot in the daytime despite being indoors, with the curtains closed. Never seen that before. Also what age would be reasonable to think he would be potty trained and ask out? I know he does not have much control at this young age. Still scooping him up, saying no and running outside hoping he is absorbing the idea. Any help on what to expect/ watch out for/ care for such a young pup is appreciated!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts