Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I was planning to get a small size dog for my home. I wish to keep it inside the house. Can anyone suggest a good small size dog. I live in India and not much breeds are available here. Anyways please suggest. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Well there are a few things you'll want to consider. First, which breeds are definitely available. Second, how much do you plan to exercise the dog? Will you be able to get it groomed? If you don't want to groom the dog then pick a dog with a low maintenance coat.

I also just want to throw it out there that you may consider looking into rescueing a dog. Again, I don't know where in India you live or if there are any organizations around, but I know in Jaipur Help in Suffering offered rescued street puppies up for adoption and as the vet said, once you get these dogs into a good home on a steady diet you wouldn't even know they were street dogs, they grow up into beautiful animals. And you would really be doing a whole world of good.

Anyway, I guess if you can tell us more about what is available and what you are looking for in a dog, we can offer better advice.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
There are tons of small dog breeds, and the fact that you'd like a house dog does nothing to narrow them down! lol

So some quick questions:
1. Have you ever had a dog before?
2. Do you want a dog that gets along well with kids? Other animals?
3. Do you want an active dog, or a fairly calm dog in the house?
4. How much exercise are you willing to give the dog?
5. Do you mind shedding?
6. Do you mind grooming?
7. Do you want an easy to train dog?
8. Do you want a dog that is good with strangers?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I have a German Shepherd. It is 4 yrs old.
I am looking for a small dog that gets along well with such a big dog.
I am looking forward for a active dog.
yes i can groom him.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts