Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi: I have a 9 yr. old lab who is amazing. He is gentle, laid back and generally easy going. My partner and I just purchased a siberian husky pup and am getting her in 2 weeks. I've done a lot of research on this breed and read a lot of sites. It seems there are more negative comments about this breed than positive and to admit i am getting a bit scared of what i'm getting myself into. We both work 8hr. days with weekends off. My partner is home by 4:00 and I'm home by 5:30 pm. We live in the country with 19 acres all of which is not fenced in. I do walk, run, snowshoe and will be taking up cross country skiing. We live up north, Timmins Ontario Canada. Summers I fish, and camp. Can anyone give me some positives about owning this breed. I am already aware of the negatives. Thanks so much

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
People seem to give new husky owners a hard time. However, if you've done all your research and have a fitting plan in place that you will stuck to you. You should be fine.

How about instead of us telling you what a great about them, you tell us why you choose the breed? The reasons you choose, I'm sure will be all the positive things about owning then right? :).

On a side not, do you have photos of her? I think they are such gorgeous gorgeous dogs!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well. I wanted to get another dog for awhile and since my 9yr. old is starting to have some problems I wanted one before he passes on which hopefully won't be for awhile. He is such a marvelous dog that I'm sure that the new pup will bond with him. He is a great teacher and has amazing qualities. My partner wanted a husky and while I wasn't sure in the beginning due to what i had heard about them (everytime I mention to people what breed I'm getting there faces change expression and everything they say is negative. I spend a lot of time outside and in the winter I like to walk, snowshoe, and ski. I walk a lot in the bush at a provincial park near my area once they are closed and snowshoe in the back of my property. I have 19 acres. I have done so much research on the husky so I know they are a very loving family dog which is important since I have a lot of grandchildren and pretty much everyone one of much adult children love dogs and have one. I am aware of their wanting to run free and needing to keep them on a leash. i realize they are an independant spirit. I admit that my lab doesn't need to be tied, he stays in our yard and I can take him to the bush and he doesn't ever go out of my sight as he is always keeping an eye on me. So it is hard to know that I can never let my husky run with him for fear of him taking off and not coming back. The husky is such a magnificent animal. I just need to hear more positives about them. So many people are negative about this breed and being my first time buying one, all the negativity is making me somewhat nervous. Any help would certainly be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,226 Posts
They have been selectively bred to run in a line indefinitely at ground-covering speed. So yeah, while you can work on recall with them, and it's not impossible you'll get a particular one that can manage reasonably reliable recall, when getting a husky it's best to go into it assuming you're getting a dog that needs contained or leashed indefinitely. If they do end up being reliable off leash, take it as a pleasant surprise.

I live in interior Alaska, so there are huskies (Siberian and Alaskan) everywhere here, and the only really reliable off-leash huskies I know only became so when elderly. But we have more actual working sled dogs contributing to the canine gene pool here than elsewhere, of course.

Last time I was in the lower 48 I saw a fat husky. The mind boggled.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
It's much safer to give the negatives first, and if the person can hear them and still say yes, then it's safe to go to the positives. Safer for the dog, in the long run.

They are a great dog though, as long as you can keep up with the energy and the grooming, those are the main points.

If I'm not mistaken, we have a few people here who can let their huskies off leash. Start from the beginning with some serious recall work,make yourself valuable, make coming to you awesome.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Most of the negativity about the breed isn't directed at the breed itself, but the many uneducated first time owners who gravitate towards Huskies because of the way they look.

If you're set up, educated and have the time, a Husky is a great dog to own.

I do hope that if you both work 8 hours days, one of you or a dog sitter will be driving home to let the puppy out at lunch. 8 consecutive hours in a crate is way too long for any puppy.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I think you have to have a good sense of humor to own a husky. They are very smart and will test you. But if you are prepared and give them lots to do, they can make wonderful pets. Adolescents can be trying but it sounds like you know what you are getting into.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your inputs. While I am having some minor anxiety attacks, much better than before, mostly I think because I haven't done the puppy thing in many yrs. I pick her up in another wk. and am getting excited. I have read so many books and checked sites so I am very much aware of their downsides and the work ahead. We live in Northern Ontario, Timmins to be exact so I guess I better beef up my winter gear for time with the Sibe. This sounds really silly, but it's more the things like when I go downstairs to my craft room to work on blankets or want to sit and knit. Not sure what to do with Mishka which will be her name. Like I said, silly things like that are stressing me out much more than training. I've owned different dogs over my life and have always done obedience training. Unfortunately, I will have missed the fall class by 4 weeks when I get her. Thinking I may ask the teacher of the class if I can bring her anyway and try to catch up. I really appreciate having this site and everyones help so thanks. When I get her will try to put pics on the site. I'm not the swiftest when it comes to that sort of thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts