Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I am new here! A little bit more than a month ago we got a Shiba Inu puppy! he is 5 months now, we called him Zeus. He is very hard-headed, but extremely smart. Potty training is going super fast... even though there are accidents here and there.
We are new in the whole dog owning thing... What would be the things we can focus on first? he does still nip a lot..

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Loose leash walking and bite inhibition! And drop it. And recall.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you guys!

I have been doing the "come here" commands..sometimes he gets...sometimes he doesn't. what would be a good way to train him to do that? I have used to treats and during our "training session" he would do everything right. But then if we are around the house and doing something and I tell him to come here he doesn't always listen. just sits there and looks at me with his cute face. :redface:

·
Banned
7,725 Posts
Recall, his name, focus, engagement with you are what I work on from day one. :)

You should keep treats on you ready to reinforce at any point until he's closer to a year... ;) At this age he is still learning and proofing everything so he's not going to be able to perform the command without varied rewards for a while, yet. But you want to make sure he isn't SEEING the treat before doing the command, or the treat becomes a cue and that isn't what you want. Keep them away, ask for an easy version of the command you're working on, when he does it say "YES!" or "Good boy!" then pull a treat out to reward. Just because he doesn't see it doesn't mean he won't get it.

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Look at the NILIF sticky that is on one of the subforums. A smart pup wants to know what is in it for him. If coming away from the delicious table leg gets him a happy owner, probably not worth it plus if he continues gnawing on the furniture a fun game of chase may develop. If coming away gets him a game of squeaky toy, maybe. If coming away gets him that bully stick that was up out of reach, probably. If coming away getts him a bite of cheese, likely. At this point he always needs to get something really great when he does a nice recall.

Ginger is not a pup and she is working this now. It is really fun to bark outside at who knows what. Me calling her in eh, barking is way more fun. Me calling cookie wins every time.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Good luck with the recall. Most Shibas I've met along with my own have poor to terrible recall. They are just to independent to come when called unless there is something in it for them.
Which is another reason besides their prey drive to never let them off leash unless in a securely fenced area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts