Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! So, my family rescued a 3 yr old rotti/doberman mix yesterday. He's the 1st pet for any of us. Yesterday we noticed that he wasn't eating the treats we were giving him but the lady at the shelter said that he had just ate. He hasn't eaten anything since we brought him home. No it hasn't even been 24hrs yet but he's just kinda laying around. last night when we brought him home he was playing and jumping. Everytime I take him out to walk he starts eating the grass and plants. Is this normal? I'm trying to find a vet around that will accept the 1st free visit card the shelter gave us. I really hope this is normal. Is it just a new place?

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Give him some time to adjust - it's a new environment and he's a bit stressed :) Keep offering treats and he'll come around. Same thing with doing his business - if his tummy is empty, he won't have much to do ;) Is he drinking water?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yes he is drinking water and the lady at the shelter said he likes cheese so I gave him a piece and he did eat that. Thanks for the reply. Just want to make sure I do everything right!

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Not to worry, we sometimes get dogs in for boarding that don't eat for 2 or 3 days.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't worry, you're fine - just keep offering him treats and bits of cheese until he comes around. Give him a couple of days to adjust - how old is he? Of course, depending on his age and his temperament, he might take a little longer to adjust than 24hrs. The environment is overwhelming to him and since you are also going through a change of circumstance he is also probably picking up on that. Just give him lots of love and he will be fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all for your support!

@ huskysmiles he is 3!

Well, after 2 good walks yesterday he was knocked out!! He did eat some more treats but still no food. Only drinking water after walks. Getting super nervous. Can't get him to the vet till Sat! He will eat people food ( was sneeking hot dogs that fell on the floor from the baby) but no dog food. Someone sugg to give him a scrambled egg or hot dog. But Im nervous to give him table food.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Sometimes with dry kibble food mixing part of a can of dog food can kick them into eating

·
Registered
232 Posts
Feeding him people food wont hurt him, and if it helps him eat, then all the power to him. however you want to be careful he's not just being picky.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Also, don't feed him people food from the dinner table or while you are eating, to avoid begging. But a warmed, cooked, sliced hotdog mixed well with kibble may encourage him... or may train him to pick out the hotdog pieces :)

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
Yep some dogs are just picky eaters and will hold out for 'better' food. My current foster was like this, he was also overweight when I brought him home. He skipped a lot of meals in the first few weeks I had him and will still skip a meal occasionally now after 9 weeks. I just put down his food and give him 10-15 minutes tops to eat then take it away, he'll eat when he's hungry. I've actually cut his food back to close to half what they say they were feeding him at the shelter and he rarely skips a meal now and eats promptly after I put his food down now.

It's taken 9 weeks to get to this point with him. Very frustrating for me as I'm used to my own boy who has ALWAYS devoured his food as fast as he possibly could and always willing to eat more. Feeling the need to 'beg' my foster to just eat his damned food was a shock. I'm finally able to leave the kitchen after I put his food down and he'll eat without me being with him.

Basically once you've ruled out any possible health issues keeping him from eating I'd suggest tough love. Put his food down at meal time for 10-15 minutes and if he isn't actively eating at that time just pick it up and try again at the next meal time. Until he's eating his meals give very limited treats in between meals, he'll learn to eat at meal time. While doing this with my foster if he skipped a meal the only treats he got between then and the next meal were for going into his crate. If he ate his meal I might do some training with him but still not a lot of treats or he'd likely skip his next meal.

As long as he's drinking I wouldn't worry. A healthy dog won't starve themselves and will eat their kibble when they are hungry.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I just wanted to add that we top our dogs' kibble with an egg, or some scraps with a little warm water. It seems to make it more enjoyable for them.

I often think I wouldn't want to eat what they are eating all the time- kind of like having crackers for every meal.

·
Registered
3,511 Posts
I just wanted to add that we top our dogs' kibble with an egg, or some scraps with a little warm water. It seems to make it more enjoyable for them.

I often think I wouldn't want to eat what they are eating all the time- kind of like having crackers for every meal.
Well with my inexperience with a dog that wouldn't eat I did cave at first and bought some canned food to mix with the kibble, even added a little water and warmed it up. He still wouldn't eat a number of meals and the food was wasted because I couldn't just put it back and feed it again later. If he actually consistently ate the doctored up food I wouldn't have minded but I wasn't going to keep wasting my time and money on food he still wouldn't eat and I had to trash. Quickly went back to plain kibble that if he didn't eat could be served again at the next meal no problem.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yeah, that is the problem with the toppers. :-(

Well with my inexperience with a dog that wouldn't eat I did cave at first and bought some canned food to mix with the kibble, even added a little water and warmed it up. He still wouldn't eat a number of meals and the food was wasted because I couldn't just put it back and feed it again later. If he actually consistently ate the doctored up food I wouldn't have minded but I wasn't going to keep wasting my time and money on food he still wouldn't eat and I had to trash. Quickly went back to plain kibble that if he didn't eat could be served again at the next meal no problem.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Well with my inexperience with a dog that wouldn't eat I did cave at first and bought some canned food to mix with the kibble, even added a little water and warmed it up.
Hmmmm! caving I would prefer to think it was a learning experience for you with that dog. You learn by trying, what did not work for your dog does indeed work for many. A can of dog food for dollar and a few cups of kibble is not gonna break the bank.

One of the ways to learn is by the actual doing of things. I'm just sayin'..

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks again for all the incouragement. This morning I took him for another long walk before work. I tried to feed him again but nothing. I just felt so deperate I gave him 3 chicken nuggets and when my husband came home from work the dog had thrown up all over. So now I dont know if it was the chicken or something else. He has been acting the same and is still drinking water. I will take him to the vet Sat but should I be concerned? Someone told me to put beef gravy over his food. Should I now that he puked?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Are you (trying to feed him the same as what he was eating in the shelter? Maybe he just doesn't like it. You could try gravy, however it's full of salt. you might be better off making some beef stock (hamburger boiled in water than poured over his food warm) or chicken/turkey stock to put on his food. I also dont feed my dog kibble day after day, I dont even feed the same kibble day after day. they get toppings, extras, canned foods, raw foods, tripe, 5 or 6 different trypes of kibble and table scraps... I certainly wouldn't want to eat the same thing day after day, why would I make my dogs?

BTW my dogs are not picky eaters and have never been picky... infact out of the 9 dogs my family and I have/had not a single dog was picky :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hey,
Dogs eat grass when they have an upset stomach. That is their natural way of curing themselves. Hope you are feeding him good dog food. Their are different varieties of food available in the market which are breed and age specific. So it will be a good idea to feed him one of those. Good luck.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I don't know how much chicken coating vs. dog size that we're talking about, but McNuggets have lots of fat, and 3 may be enough to cause puking. At the moment, I would learn from it, ignore it, and move on. I don't think that specific instance of puking is an issue.

Anything, such as gravy, can be greatly diluted, b/c the dog only needs to smell it, not taste it. One thing that I have suggested to other folks is a tablespoon of ketchup mixed in a cup of warm water, then put 1 - 2 teaspoons of that liquid over the dry kibble. Gravy should do the same.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts