Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our 12 week old shih tzu only explores the kitchen and family room at the moment. I started to show him a little more of our main floor but am not sure if I am doing it correctly. I tell him to follow me to the dining room and hall way so he can explore a little.
is this the correct way to introduce a puppy to more of the house?

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Leash him to you and take him everywhere. The leash will let him explore a bit, but still give you control if you notice him starting to look like he's thinking about going potty. If you can keep an eagle eye on hi, then let him loose in that room.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
As long as you can watch him and there isn't anything dangerous he can get into, I don't see why he can't simply be allowed to enter and explore at his own pace. No need to make a huge deal about it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I see no reason not to let your puppy explore freely. Obviously you should watch to ensure he can’t eat anything. You should be taking him out frequently enough that he won’t have accidents in the house anyways- that’s the way every pup I’ve worked with has been trained, never dealt with a single accident from ‘em. Good luck with the little guy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts