Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I love dogs, and I just adopted my first last Saturday.
She's a Basset Hound/Beagle mix, 8 years old. Her name's Penny.
She is sweet as pie and so gentle, but - like everyone says - owning a dog is a lot of work!
I had heard this loads of times before, but you never really know until you do it, I guess?

Before I got her, I expected us to sleep together, play together, walk together.
Well, the minute I put her on my bedroom carpet, she peed. There went my first dream.
When I take her outside, all she wants to do is sniff, sniff, sniff. She's too distracted to potty...
...which has led to several "accidents" in the house (though I doubt she considers them accidental.)

So, right now, I'm working on managing my expectations.
She's in a new house, with a new person, with very different routines from her foster mom's house.
I know she's just getting used to me, and eventually, she will settle into a routine.
We're trying out the crate (which she went into voluntarily from the get-go) and seeing if that can help us.

It's only been a week, but she's all I've been thinking about, and this forum has definitely helped ease some of my concerns.
Nice to meet ya!

·
Registered
363 Posts
Congrats on your new rescue. I would definitely advise using a crate if she is not fully housebroken. It will take some time for her to adjust in her new environment. Best of luck.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Congrats on your new rescue. I would definitely advise using a crate if she is not fully housebroken. It will take some time for her to adjust in her new environment. Best of luck.
Thanks, NadiaK. I have high hopes for the crate! She doesn't hate it, so that's reassuring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts