Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New to the forums and looked through the rescue site and saw a few posts that said the 'breed' question is better served on this board that gets more traffic. Please forgive if this needs to be moved to the Rescue thread.

Anywhoo - we adopted Rigel about a month ago, he was a stray out of Mesquite Texas. He was listed as a 'Flat Coated Retriever' which there may be some (longer feathers starting to grow in where he was flea/tick ridden before) - but he also has some merle coloring on his chest and paws (so cute), rounder eyes than a retriever, and likes to herd us throughout the house. His ears are a little smaller and higher than our goldens, and the fur on his head is so soft, but the longer fur on his back feels more coarse like a labs. He is somewhere between 1-2 yo according to the vet and weighs about 55lbs, but will fill out to about 65lbs (they guess). And boy is he a problem solver (we have him eating meals from the 'mushroom' toy, finding treats in puzzles, and he's broken out of three different locked crates... oy vey).

Love to hear your thoughts. Also - do you guys recommend a doggy DNA test? Are they worth it? Do they come back with decent results? My vet said it would be a 'fun' experiment... :)

A few links to pics (haven't figured out how these embed from sites on this site yet):

http://1drv.ms/1KSvpPc (for merle/ears/eye view)
http://1drv.ms/1FNGqd3 (for head/snout shape)
http://1drv.ms/1KSvJ0r (for body shape, and because he's so cute- we now know he shouldn't eat onions from the garden too, in case you were wondering... :))

·
Registered
19,018 Posts
I see Aussie x retriever! He is good looking!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
His face looks very retrievery to me.
I didn't read you bio about him until after, but his fur looks coarse so I wouldn't be surprised by a Labrador RetrieverXBorder Collie mix.
The ticking and white on his chest along with his leaner body looks Border Collie-ish to me, but his face is very Retrievery.

I'm not sure though, that's just my guess.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Love it guys! Our Vet said she sees a little Aussie (merleing and shape?) - but she also said because he's a Texas stray (and we love Texas, it's my mom's home state, she's pleased as punch to have another Texan in the fam) that he probably has a little Pittie or Stafordshire in him.

I actually see him showing off herding behavior with our other dog (much to her chagrin I think), with the bowed front body, alert eyes and then running and pouncing (also play behavior, but fun to watch), and he's always pushing against us/legs to get us to go a certain way in the house.

I did order the Wisdom DNA test, even though the reviews were mixed. Thought it would be a fun experiment. Watch me get a results that say he's a schnoodle. ha! :)

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
He's really beautiful!

I say retriever x border collie. as well - the herding is definitely a b.c trait! I don't see a drop of bully breed in him.

Let us know what the DNA comes back as. Not fool-proof by any means, but is fun to do. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts