Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe some of you saw in the Dog Rescue forum that I was helping to coordinate a rescue on a small black dog in Zanesville.

Turns out that my parents, who were going to foster him, had to back out at the last minute. We didn't have any other openings so I pulled him myself. By then I had so much invested in this dog, and I was NOT going to let him just die at that horrible pound (the Zanesville facility is truly awful).

We were told he was a 2-year old and 40 lbs, but it turns out he's only 9 - 10 months old, 40 lbs and SKINNY. So I'm thinking he'll be more like 60 lbs when full grown, and full of groceries. Not to mention he was listed as a Border Collie mix, and ummmm... does anyone here see THAT in this dog? I sure don't. I'm not sure how long he'll be here, but he's being pampered and really loving all the attention! :)

Doesn't he remind you of a certain Poca that graces these forums? ;) (Where are you Winnie?)

More...

·
Registered
4,778 Posts
When I saw the title for a moment I thought you had obtained a new permanent resident to the household :D

He's a handsome boy, for sure. Kudos for helping him out of his bad situation!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just also wanted to say that this is one REALLY smart boy! I've only been working with him since Friday, and he's already got Sit, Down, and Touch (target) mastered. He willingly enters his crate, lays down and sleeps quietly. And, he's already learned to "leave it" with food in my open palm!

That is one crazy smart pooch if you ask me. Either that, or just highly motivated. ;) Mozzarella cheese is his weakness...

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Oh he is beautiful!

What's his name? Does he play with Willow, Bandit, and Jasper?

Thanks for helping yet another dog!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He doesn't have a name yet! My parents have said they would like to name him, so I'm giving them some time to think about it.

He doesn't play with all the dogs yet - it's only been a couple days, and I'd like to get some really solid obedience skills under his belt before I turn him out with everyone. However, he is allowed to play with Bandit in the house, and goes on walks with him. Bandit is easily the most stable of my group, so that's why I chose him. Even then, this rescue is a little growly and can be reactive, so I'm being extra-slow with the introductions.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
If I wasn't sitting right in front of my dog I would swear you've kidnapped Poca! You were right - he's a dead ringer for her. Thank you so much for rescuing him. It breaks my heart that he would end up in a situation where he would need to be rescued.

I think he might be a little older than 9-10 months. Here's Poca at 9 months - she was just groomed and at the time we lived in CA where she didn't build up much of an undercoat, so she's not as fluffy as he is.

Here she is at 21 months. She didn't hit her current weight of 65 lbs until about 1.5 years. She was very skinny up until then because she was so active and she had stomach issues. It was hard to keep any meat on her.

And a head shot when she turned 3:

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That is just insane!!! They look SO much alike. :eek: I thought that might be the case when I saw his pound pics, but once I got him home it was just unbelievable!

The vet will be checking him over tomorrow, and then we'll see what his age is... you're right, he may very well be older. I'm going by what a shelter volunteer told me after she looked at his teeth, but a vet's opinion would be the best.

That last head shot is SO funny - it's almost identical to the one head shot I posted, but in reverse. They look so similar that it's amazing.

I think it's decided, Winnie - we need to meet up so that Poca can meet her clone (and her white clone, Willow).

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Deal! Poca heard about the fantastic fence you're building and has been nagging me all day about why she doesn't have one, too - one that comes pre-loaded with dogs to play with. So I think she's got ideas about making a little road trip already....:)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Oh Nekomi, you are such an angel for yet another rescue. I wish more people in this world could be just like you.

Oh and I think Poca needs a brother.;)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You should DEFINITELY make the road trip down! You're in MI right? I'm in NE Ohio so it's not that far... and I have a spare room for both you, and Poca. ;)

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
You should DEFINITELY make the road trip down! You're in MI right? I'm in NE Ohio so it's not that far... and I have a spare room for both you, and Poca. ;)
I'm in between you in north central IN. Pretty crazy!!

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Oh and I think Poca needs a brother.;)
Winnie, wouldn't it be super cool to have a matching set of dogs?
You guys are eggers-on, all! What's really crazy is that my husband has a golf trip coming up in OH in a month or so. Poca is off running mapquest queries to see how close she can get to Nekomi if she hides in the trunk for the trip and jumps out at just the right moment. Not the best plan, I think. We'll plan a real trip that won't risk life and limb! :D Ohio in the fall is pretty nice, I think....

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Oh, wow. He's gorgeous! Thank you for pulling him--I can't wait to hear more about how he does with you and then with his forever home.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts