Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
View attachment 246452

Franklin is a shih-tzu Jack Russell mix, transported from Abilene, Texas to Milwaukee by Rescue Gang. He spent a month with a good foster before we spotted him, applied, were approved and did a successful meet-and-greet about a month ago.

He's 2-years old, just under 16 pounds and very much a puppy (except that his house-training is stellar, thanks to his foster mom.)

My daughters equally hyper-active terrier mix is with us for ten days while she travels and the two have been non-stop shenanigans.

His is very friendly with strangers, dogs and even children. We are thoroughly smitten.

Next step: Formal (maybe private) training classes.

·
Super Moderator
11,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Despite his semi-foo-foo looks, he is fearless and relentless. I attribute that to the Jack Russell in him.

Molly was not thrilled at first. Actually she's still not thrilled, but she is resigned. Franklin follows her everywhere.

·
Registered
10 Posts
He's adorable! You can definitely see both breeds in him. Jacks are forever puppies! Don't know how much the Shih Tzu will calm him down but I know my 13-year-old JRT still keeps me on my toes!

·
Super Moderator
11,811 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've never participated much in breed guesses and here's an example of why. I was dead certain that Franklin is Shih-Tzu/Jack Russell mix. I was dead wrong.

I just got his Embark DNA results back:
25.1 % poodle
21.6% Chihuahua (now I have to learn to spell Chihuahua)
18.7% Maltese
18.2% Boston terrier
10.2% Miniature Schnauzer
6.2% Supermutt (possible Havanese as distant ancestor)

I have not shared these results with Franklin. He thinks he's some kind of badass and I don't want to burst his bubble.

Reactions: islanddog
1 - 7 of 7 Posts