Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the owner of 2 shih tzus. Both are friendly and love other dogs and have always played with big dogs without problem. I am an avid trail runner and wanted a large breed that could accompany me on my runs. My husband mountain bikes as well. We adopted an 8 month old golden doodle( Percy). We had a meet and greet with the 2 shih tzus and it went well Percy was so gentle and mild mannered. However, when we got him home he plays very rough and doesn’t realize his strength or size. Now both small dogs are being aggressive toward him and are scared to be near him. He doesn’t mean to hurt them, but he just plays too rough. He bucks up and down when he is excited not paying attention if there is a dog under him! In his foster home there was a Bernese mountain dog that he played with I believe this is where he learned the rough behavior. What can we do to help all the dogs learn to play in harmony without anyone getting hurt?

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Time the play and stop long before puppy gets too excited, probably less than 5 minutes. If you see something you don't like interrupt the play and keep dogs apart until puppy settles down, in maybe 1/2 hour.

This happens between any dogs, loads of differing play styles out there. For instance my first dog wrestled, second dog wouldn't do that but they could play tug. The pair I have now cannot play at all and the younger is regularly put on time out for bouncing on the older larger dog. Your new pup doesn't sound like he's playing rough at all. Big pups play big.

I'd keep the dogs apart for several weeks. New dogs are under a lot of stress and a 'shut down' can help them learn the ways of the house without getting any negative feedback after innocently committing doggy crimes. If I hadn't done that I suspect my current pair wouldn't be so mellow. The older one would have eventually had to fight back when bounced on one too many times but the new dog was kept crated/penned for several weeks and gradually allowed contact with the older resident dog. She knows that he's annoying but harmless now.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts