Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, I had seen him for 2 weeks now and was finally able to make room at our BSPCA location and rescue him. About 2 weeks ago... maybe a little less, I noticed a new dog in the neighborhood... a dumped EMACIATED APBT. It turns out that he just stayed where his owners dumped him. I think he might have thought that they would come back for him.

He was dumped in front of a house down the street from my house, and hadnt left there. I finally was able to get a place together for him (I am super busy with school, Cici, the VP of the SPCA had been sick and I didnt want to put it on her, so I made time myself and for the time being went and gained his trust and fed him from time to time). We went to the house, knocked on the door and were met by a woman, 40s maybe... we asked her about the dog... and she stated he just showed up. Long story short, they didnt feed him... didnt care for him... but they saw him EVERYDAY, SKIN AND BONES and didnt call anyone or turn him into the Humane Society. Ugghh.

(I had been under the impression that maybe they were feeding him because he was ALWAYS THERE... even when they would be outside in the yard... but when I realized he was still looking terrible, I made it happen and got a kennel together and ready for him).

We are going to call the Mayor, who we work along with every now and then, Pat A. He takes care of many APBT dogs that are rescued... that is his passion mainly... APBTs... so we'll call him to see if he can take him or help us out with him.

Here he is... I'm also going to post a video of him walking around... he is going to the vet first thing Monday morning to have all the required check ups and tests done. I'm pretty sure he's HW positive... but I'm wondering about his back legs. I cant tell if it is one leg he is favoring... or if it's his hips that are messed up... OR he's just so weak? Anyway here he is... he is SO very HANDSOME! I love him.

He's all white with a some big yellow brindled spots...

Settling into his house... complete with a paw mat, food, water and a great igloo and nice soft blanky's!

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Poor boy, he looks so sweet too :( People..:mad:
Good job as always Nessa, I'm sure he'll start gaining some weight and get a new home in no time!

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Oh Nessa... he's gorgeous!! It just irks me to no end what people do. You are such an amazing person for rescuing all these babies!!!

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
OMG! Those pictures brought tears to my eyes!! : ( That's so sad... And how could those people just let that dog wander around like that! I mean, I'm nervous of strange Pit Bulls and other large dogs wandering around... But to be starving?? I would have to do something...

Thanks for taking the time to take some pictures, he is a pretty boy isn't he? Thanks, Nessa, you're the shining light that there is hope for us humans after all! ; )

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
omg he looks just like my vivi girl. :(

id take him.
Trust me... if you were close enough I would give him to you in a heart beat. I know that he would totally benefit from someone who KNOWS APBTs and can truly cares to make him a great example of the breed.

We have never taken on a pure bred APBT... and Tessie (President of the SPCA) was a bit tense on doing it... because of how people view them and what they do to them in our area. (Fighting them... getting them only to keep them in the yard as a yard ornament and to scare people from their yards :mad:). So that is why we are going to get some help from the Mayor. He knows APBTs very well and specializes in rescuing them and making them great dogs. He has so many rescues at his home... and works with our PAWS Rescue association here. I would love it if you and other APBT enthusiasts to give me some pointers and tips. Thanks so much you guys. It means so much to me to help these animals who dont have enough people to give to cruds about them at all.

Here at the Kill Shelter we have... they usually kill the APBTs right away... or contact the Mayor if they really want to rehabilitate them and find them homes. They say it is their way of making sure bad people dont adopt them, but come on!!! They need CHANCES! It drives me crazy that they dont get chances there. So I'm so glad I was able to get ahold of him and make sure he didnt go to the kill shelter.
They too, need angels.
Nessa

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
Trust me... if you were close enough I would give him to you in a heart beat. I know that he would totally benefit from someone who KNOWS APBTs and can truly cares to make him a great example of the breed.

We have never taken on a pure bred APBT... and Tessie (President of the SPCA) was a bit tense on doing it... because of how people view them and what they do to them in our area. (Fighting them... getting them only to keep them in the yard as a yard ornament and to scare people from their yards :mad:). So that is why we are going to get some help from the Mayor. He knows APBTs very well and specializes in rescuing them and making them great dogs. He has so many rescues at his home... and works with our PAWS Rescue association here. I would love it if you and other APBT enthusiasts to give me some pointers and tips. Thanks so much you guys. It means so much to me to help these animals who dont have enough people to give to cruds about them at all.
They too, need angels.
Nessa

whacha wanna know?

im sure you know the basics...never unsupervised with other animals and never off leash in uncontained areas.

get him healthy for one.

What's his temperment like?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
whacha wanna know?

im sure you know the basics...never unsupervised with other animals and never off leash in uncontained areas.

get him healthy for one.

What's his temperment like?
Oh yes yes... I know the basics... and I have worked with about 3 APBTs when I was helping out the Pet Trainer from Petsmart. (One was a DA case and he was helped and found a great home... the trainer took him from his owners because they could not handle it anymore and didnt commit to helping him. They were going to have him PTS at the shelter... but she wanted to take him on. It was amazing... I am glad to have been a part of it.)

Yup I made sure he is in a kennel away from the others... none of our rescues are ever unsupervised or off leash (Only Nova because I have trained her completely on the recall and she never wants to leave anyway hehe)... so that is a plus. I told them that we have to be extra visual with him.
He is going to our vet for the SPCA first thing Monday morning. (I unfortunately cannot go... School)

I cannot tell on his temperament yet. He is so so weak. We brought him to the kennels... he heard the dogs barking and got excited. I didnt want to introduce him to the others right away because we dont know his health condition yet. We dont know if he has any underlying diseases yet... so we need to keep our others safe. But they did walk up to his kennel and he didnt react aggressive AT ALL... just a bit curious. But he was just so weak and lied down right away.

Um... he's great with people from what I have seen so far. When I first tried to lift him he got startled and turned and snapped at me and growled. He almost grabbed my face hehe. MY FAULT COMPLETELY! I mean how would anyone like to be grabbed by some random person all of a sudden?! I totally made a mistake.

I muzzled him in order to lift him into the car. But after that I apologized to him and hugged him and talked to him and he licked me and layed down with me. He is such a sweet heart.... I just dont think we can tell his true demeanor yet because he is so weak. We usually can tell how every one of our emaciated rescues is after a week... after they know the routine and have gained energy... and FOOD! LoL...

From there we will see. Hmm I really dont even know what to ask I'm sorry. I mean... I know how to do it... but I guess I just dont know if there is something different about APBTs that I SHOULD know. If you feel there is anything to share... let me know!!!

Here is the video!
http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=8864c4b11c3c9d2fa8ce06&skin_id=701&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url

He's so weak... this was only after we gave him some water... he finally wanted to get up and walk around.
Nessa

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dont let SW see this gorgeous dog.. LOL! She will fall in love!!! :)
OH MAN I KNOW!!! He is one of the most handsome APBTs I've seen around here! I cannot understand how someone can let such a BEAUTIFUL animal get like this... I just will NEVER understand. I mean, once he's filled out and healthy... can you all imagine how amazing he'll look?! Sigh... I am just praying this will all be a happy ending.
nessa

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
when you approach to do something like lifting into the car, try approaching slowly with your side view to him. never immediately place your hand on the top of his head. use slow and deliberate movement. if he shows white of the eye, raises hackle, or stiffens..pause and give him a minute, talking to him in a quiet and calm voice and maybe give him a little treat. don't push him.

when you go to interact with him, start very neutral. body relaxed, giving him a side view and not making direct eye contact. let him come check you out.

when he approaches hold out a flat palm with a treat in it. wait for him to take it.

these tactics present you as very Non threatening. let him dictate what level of interaction he gives you. it will help him to trust you more.

I can give you some resource materials if you'd like

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
when you approach to do something like lifting into the car, try approaching slowly with your side view to him. never immediately place your hand on the top of his head. use slow and deliberate movement. if he shows white of the eye, raises hackle, or stiffens..pause and give him a minute, talking to him in a quiet and calm voice and maybe give him a little treat. don't push him.

when you go to interact with him, start very neutral. body relaxed, giving him a side view and not making direct eye contact. let him come check you out.

when he approaches hold out a flat palm with a treat in it. wait for him to take it.

these tactics present you as very Non threatening. let him dictate what level of interaction he gives you. it will help him to trust you more.

I can give you some resource materials if you'd like
Oh yes I would love that Zim... thank you!

I actually did all of that... it was very slow... I was with him for 30 mins before I tried to pick him up. I sat next to him forever and touched him talked to him slowly... and softly. He never ever raised his hackles... or growled or showed the whites of his eyes... he was just weak looking and laying down. So he NEVER showed any form of aggression or warning that he didnt like me touching him or hugging him or being close to him...

I HONESTLY THINK that I must have hurt him when I picked him up. You know what I mean? I started on his side... put my arm around him... and started to lift... he was still kissing me and looking happy with me... but then I lifted him off of the ground... and he yelped, growled and turned and snapped chomped. It was so close to my face I heard it and felt his breath.

So I really really really really think I hurt him somehow when I picked him up. I think he is just lacking so much muscle mass that it really hurt him. Maybe his ribs are bruised? Or maybe he has some internal pain? But I really dont think he's aggressive because I did all the right moves when handling a strange dog.

He will be taken to the vet ASAP... I even think I might be able to get Cici to go with me tomorrow morning before the vet closes.

But again thanks so much Zim... and all of you all for your kind words!
Nessa

·
Registered
9,710 Posts
try using a soft towel under him to lift him up. or using a soft blankie like a stretcher but that takes two people.

gawd he looks like a Vivi clone! she was skinnier than that when she first came to me. *sigh*

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
try using a soft towel under him to lift him up. or using a soft blankie like a stretcher but that takes two people.

gawd he looks like a Vivi clone! she was skinnier than that when she first came to me. *sigh*
Yea I'm going to try that next time... when we go tot he vet.

Awe can I see a pic of Vivi? Can you post one of her on here?
nessa

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Awww nessa, he's GORGEOUS, but yet so skinny and soooo sad. I'm so glad you are there for him. I don't think I've ever seen a dog that skinny in person. Bella (mac'n'roe's mom) wasn't quite that bad off when I began feeding her. I can't wait to see his progress...and hope he's good healthwise. He does look like Vivi.

Thank you so much Nessa for your selflessness. He deserves it...soooo handsome.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts