Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long time dog owner (3 yellow labs)(lots of hunt trial training) Just rescued a 1.5 year old female Golden Retriever (Emma) (I'm her 3rd home) I've always got my yellow lab girls at 8 weeks from breeders and have never had to train bad behaviours out of a dog. Emma comes with a host of "small" issues (separation anxiety for which she was placed on Fluoxetine) and some other minor behaviours that come from no structure)
One I'm having an issue on how to tackle though is in a social setting (no other dogs) she becomes uncontrollably excitable and her separation issues from me turn into barking and struggling with her leash. I believe in +R but unsure if this is just a factor of her age or the anxiety issues or? If I can help her overcome this I'd like some direction. She has bonded very well to me and has already got the basic commands down after 2 weeks.

Thanks

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
See the reactive dog training thread stickied to the top of this forum. Loads of information. Very likely the reason she was given up was because of these behaviors more than she was mishandled. Poor genes + indifferent/naive handling=reactive dog. I've acquired two 'project dogs'. Very rewarding working with the issues and making them happy family pets. With your skills I'm sure she will go far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kathy, "reactive dog training thread"? which sticky?

See the reactive dog training thread stickied to the top of this forum. Loads of information. Very likely the reason she was given up was because of these behaviors more than she was mishandled. Poor genes + indifferent/naive handling=reactive dog. I've acquired two 'project dogs'. Very rewarding working with the issues and making them happy family pets. With your skills I'm sure she will go far.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts