Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just some new pictures! I've had almost no time since classes started back up. Basically spend all my time either at work or school or working on homework. Despite the lack of time, Duke has been doing excellent. Really shows how much he's matured with how well he's been behaving despite the less than ideal exercise he's been getting lately.

Also, been stepping it up with working on his reactivity. Going to more public places on a semi-regular basis. Some days are better than others, but he's definitely improving. I dream of the day that I can walk him without being on constant lookout for other dogs... sigh.

Also, if anyone knows of a good trainer in Southeast Michigan, I want to get Duke back into classes and am starting to look for a trainer.

And, onto the pictures!

Camera shy!

He knows that the camera equals treats and immediately starts licking his lips and drooling haha

"Just give me the treats and no one gets hurt"

My sweet boy :)

All that drool...

More in next post.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

So handsome, but I may be biased :redface:

Rawr

Showin' off his favorite toy

Obviously being a model is exhausting

·
Registered
7,216 Posts
Ugh, I love him! And you'd be surprised... Keep working on his reactivity and you WILL reach a day of absolute zen, walking around without having to look out for other dogs constantly. It may not come soon. It may be one glorious day that won't be repeated for months. It might happen more often and so slowly that you will only see it in hindsight. But that day exists for you two and I am sure of it!

Before I got Soro (first dog in my life ever) I dreamed of walking him down busy streets, a dog heeling right by my side, proud and undistracted, no leash in sight. Hah. I laugh at my naivety now. But you know what? I did have that day. I can't remember where or when or what situation warranted it. But I felt like I was in a movie. We weaved through the crowd like we were one being. Perfect connection without asking for focus. No leash in sight. I don't believe it has happened since, mostly because I don't make it a habit to walk him in busy areas without a leash. But you've been working so hard on his reactivity and if you continue you will get there! One day you'll simply notice other dogs and your heartrate won't go up; Duke won't even 'see' them. I know you can get there :)

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ugh, I love him! And you'd be surprised... Keep working on his reactivity and you WILL reach a day of absolute zen, walking around without having to look out for other dogs constantly. It may not come soon. It may be one glorious day that won't be repeated for months. It might happen more often and so slowly that you will only see it in hindsight. But that day exists for you two and I am sure of it!

Before I got Soro (first dog in my life ever) I dreamed of walking him down busy streets, a dog heeling right by my side, proud and undistracted, no leash in sight. Hah. I laugh at my naivety now. But you know what? I did have that day. I can't remember where or when or what situation warranted it. But I felt like I was in a movie. We weaved through the crowd like we were one being. Perfect connection without asking for focus. No leash in sight. I don't believe it has happened since, mostly because I don't make it a habit to walk him in busy areas without a leash. But you've been working so hard on his reactivity and if you continue you will get there! One day you'll simply notice other dogs and your heartrate won't go up; Duke won't even 'see' them. I know you can get there :)
Thanks so much for the encouraging words! I too had the naive dreams of taking him everywhere with me in a perfect heel... so naive hahaha.

I know that if we just keep working on it, I'll start seeing slow, very very very slow, improvements. He's so aware of EVERYTHING all the time, both sights and smells. I know that once I graduate next summer, I'll have more time to devote to his training which will make a huge difference.

I think his size is what makes his reactivity the hardest. He's so strong!!! Plus, the general public sees him as a bully breed mix and any wrong move he takes makes people view him as aggressive. I wish everyone could see the huge sweet dork he is at home and how crazy smart he is.

This is such a stunning, special dog. And your photos! Thanks for sharing these, and good luck with school :)
Thanks so much! Can't wait to be done with school, one more year! :rockon:

Awesome pics! Love the one with his noseless piggy - the way the green reflects in his eye makes it look like he's turning Hulk...heeheehee!

He's so handsome! :)
Thank you! Funny story about the piggy... when I first gave it to him he was terrified of it! It made lifelike pig noises that made him freak haha. I just left it out on the floor for a few days and all of sudden he just pounced on it, tore off its nose, and de-stuffed/de-squeaked it. He's been carrying it around like a prize ever since! So brave! hahaha

Beautiful shots!! I think brown dogs photograph so well.
Thanks! He's definitely a lot easier to photograph than my mom's all white dog! When he was younger his face was sooo much darker which made it difficult to expose his face correctly without over-exposing everything else. I miss his dark face though!

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Thank you! Funny story about the piggy... when I first gave it to him he was terrified of it! It made lifelike pig noises that made him freak haha. I just left it out on the floor for a few days and all of sudden he just pounced on it, tore off its nose, and de-stuffed/de-squeaked it. He's been carrying it around like a prize ever since! So brave! hahaha
Brave Sir Duke :becky: So cute! Bella's piggy scared the heck out of her, too at first. 'specially when ya squeeze it really hard...lol Squeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! :p

·
Registered
5,075 Posts
<3 him. I love his face markings.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Brave Sir Duke :becky: So cute! Bella's piggy scared the heck out of her, too at first. 'specially when ya squeeze it really hard...lol Squeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! :p
Haha... something about pig squealing/snorting is absolutely terrifying but fascinating at the same time. It makes him go crazy! Sounds like Bella's piggy got the best of her too, at least at first! My mom's dog reacted the same way... for about 10 seconds... then he had enough and went back to sleep.

<3 him. I love his face markings.
Thank you!!

Oh my! He is such a handsome boy. Great photos!
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I was admiring these earlier but didn't get to log in and comment - but these are absolutely gorgeous!! I love, love, love your editing style and photography and it is incredibly inspiring for me :) Love your use of the natural light as well.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was admiring these earlier but didn't get to log in and comment - but these are absolutely gorgeous!! I love, love, love your editing style and photography and it is incredibly inspiring for me :) Love your use of the natural light as well.
Thank you! :D

You already know how much your pictures inspire me! Especially the latest set! I've been really lazy with my photography lately and have basically only taken pictures on my small balcony at the apartment :redface:. Your pictures always push to me to go out and explore and find new, exciting places to take pictures :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts