Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have a 2 year old mini Schnauzer (female) who is the most lovable dog in the world. She loves people. She's not so fond of other dogs. On the street she will pull and bark until she reaches them, she'll say hi and that's it, lets go.
I took care of my son's dogs (Australian Sheppards). She was very timid around them. I assumed it was because they are so big.
We just picked up another male mini and she's behaving the same with him. He's jumping on her wanting to play but she just turns her head and acts really stiff. She isn't shaking or anything she just doesn't want anything to do with him.
Will she get over this? Is there anything we can do to help her?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
For starters, don't let the puppy keep pestering her when she is giving so many obvious "I'm not comfortable with this!" signals. Eventually his puppy pass will wear out, and she will start giving stronger and stronger "get lost" signals, up to and possibly including, a warning snap. For now, keep them mostly separated, and when they are together, don't let him bother her. Reward them both for calm behavior. It's entirely possible that she will never be completely comfortable with him, and that's okay. I don't expect all of my dogs to be BFFs with each other, just peacefully coexist.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts