Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi There,
I got myself a new puppy today he is a Border Collie x Samoyed 1/4, I named him sam but i'm not sure if he likes green eggs and ham. He is doing great until it got late. He is tired and he wants to sleep but when he does he pants really loudly and wakes himself up eventually and looks around to make sure im here. Before he woke up and my other dog Lei-Lu got up next to him and when he woke up he snarled and barked at her which i can tell is out of character. Is he just scared do you think? what can i do to help him?

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
Is he hot? That's one reason to pant. How old is he? He should calm down in 3 - 5 days. Set up a consistent environment for him so that he learns what to expect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nah it's pretty cool, he is eight weeks old. I am not sure if I should get him a crate or let him sleep on my bed like my other dog Lei-Lu.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I strongly recommend crate training, then when he's older you can teach him the "privilege" of sleeping on the bed... rather than have him thinking that it is where he expect to sleep...

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
I agree. I would have him sleep in the crate, next to your bed. That way, he has his own space, but can still see, hear and smell you in case he wakes up in the middle of the night and forgets where he is, or gets scared. Whenever we get new pups, they sleep in crates until they're potty trained anyway, so we don't have messes at night!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts