Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

My husband and I just brought home a 3 month old German Shepherd last month and we are running into some difficulties. This is my first time training a young puppy and could use some help.

She was raised, up until we brought her home, outside with all of her siblings with little human interaction. We brought her home to a house with a cat and a dog already here. Our first dog, Coal, is 1.5 years old.

So the issue I'm running into is that the new puppy has more interest in chasing Coal around than playing with my husband and myself. I have tried separating them when I can't play with them. My hope with this was that they would each get more individual play time with me then with each other. The separation has not been consistent, because I can not be home to make sure it gets done, so nothing has changed.

Also, when is the best time to start training her things like sit, stay, lay down?

How do I get her to want to play with us and focus less on Coal? Is this something that will just come with time as she gets older?

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
You can start with training as soon as you bring them home, really. I mean, you adjust, of course, and just do a tiny bit in the beginning, but you can always start small. And, even now, at 3 months, keep your training sessions short, about 5 minutes, but you can do several sessions a day. This will keep you and your pup from getting to frustrated or overwhelmed. Also, puppies have super short attention spans.

As for the puppy wanting to interact more with the dog, you are on the right track with trying to make sure they have more individual time with the humans in the house. Does she get walked every day? Walk her separately. I would also feed her separately. And, have separate play time with her.

And, try to look at the bright side, at least they get along! Many people post here about their dogs NOT getting along! :)

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I agree with doxiemommy. You can start training immediately. But not all training is sit and stay.

When I got Kabota, he was not really socialized to people. He loved dogs, but was very shut down with people. So I started training by giving him treats for any interaction with people. If he looked at me, he got a treat. If he moved in my direction, he got a treat. He got peanut butter (his ultimate treat) if he looked me in the eye. All of that really helped with more formal sit, stay, etc. type training.

Keep it all positive and treat based. Clicker training is fabulous. Basically, right now, she knows that dogs are great, but she doesn't know that about people. You need to convince her that people can be as awesome as other dogs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts