Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, hello, I'm new to this forum and I'm very proud to be the owner of a three month old shih tzu named Beethoven :]

My main concern is this. I bought him four days ago from a pet store in the mall (yes, I know, believe me, bad choice. A pound would have been the way to go, but once I saw this little guy I just fell in love!) and he had a slightly runny nose. No one checked him out or said anything, so I figured it was just a thing that would pass. His symptoms got worse, and after taking him to the vet two days ago, being told he just had a simple 'cold', I took him to the animal hospital yesterday to find that he has pneumonia in his left lower lung.
They gave us some antibiotics and I'm hopeful that these work, but that's not my concern. They took some x-rays and told me that his heart was slightly shifted to the left because his left lower lung lobe had collapsed. You could imagine the look on my face when I was informed of that.
Will my little Beethoven's lung, after he recovers from this pneumonia, ever recover fully? Will he have lung problems for the rest of his life or will it 'inflate' again by itself?
I'm going to ask the vet this when I see him tomorrow, it's just that it came to mind and I was wondering if any of you guys knew. it's so hard watching my brand new little guy be so miserable and sick :[

·
Registered
350 Posts
Only your vet can give you a prognosis on your dog and I am sure you already have that by now.

I am very sorry that your little guy is having such a rough start in life; however, what he is going through is the norm for puppy mill pet shop dogs. By your own words you admit that you should have chosen a shelter pet yet you chose to support these horrible people who count on cuteness to defy common sense.

I work in rescue and this is one of the worst times I have ever seen. Record numbers of dogs and cats are being euthanized every day. No matter how many of us are out there trying to help, there are just too many to save. We have enough dogs on this planet and quite frankly we don't need any more, whether they come from puppy mills or upstanding professional breeders. We have three new litters of mutts on the ground because the mommas, who were days away from delivering, were scheduled to be euthanized. All three moms are purebred that somebody bought and then threw away when they became a problem. Those three beautiful purebreds begat 15 adorable little mutts that now need homes. My anger knows no bounds these days and the phrase "I hate people" has become my mantra.

I am sorry for getting on my soapbox and pretty much hijacking your thread but sometimes I can't help myself. Before I get off my box, here's something that everybody should read and remember.

A Letter from a Shelter Manager:

I think our society needs a huge " Wake-up" call.

As a shelter manager, I am going to share a little insight with you all. ..a view from the inside if you will.

First off, all of you breeders/sellers should be made to work in the "back" of an animal shelter for just one day.

Maybe if you saw the life drain from a few sad, lost, confused eyes, you would change your mind about breeding and selling to people you don't even know. That puppy you just sold will most likely end up in my shelter when it's not a cute little puppy anymore.

So how would you feel if you knew that there's about a 90% chance that dog will never walk out of the shelter it is going to be dumped at? Purebred or not! About 50% of all of the dogs that are "owner surrenders" or "strays" that come into my shelter are purebred dogs.

The most common excuses I hear are;

"We are moving and we can't take our dog (or cat)." Really? Where are you moving to that doesn't allow pets and why did you choose that place instead of a pet friendly home?

Or they say "The dog got bigger than we thought it would". How big did you think a German Shepherd would get?

"We don't have time for her". Really? I work a 10- 12 hour day and still have time for my 6 dogs!

"She' s tearing up our yard". How about making her a part of your family?

They always tell me: "We just don't want to have to stress about finding a place for her we know she'll get adopted, she's a good dog."

Odds are your pet won't get adopted & how stressful do you think being in a shelter is? Well, let me tell you, your pet has 72 hours to find a new family from the moment you drop it off. Sometimes a little longer if the shelter isn't full and your dog manages to stay completely healthy. If it sniffles, it dies.

Your pet will be confined to a small run/kennel in a room with about 25 other barking or crying animals. It will have to relieve itself where it eats and sleeps.

It will be depressed and it will cry constantly for the family that abandoned it.

If your pet is lucky, I will have enough volunteers in that day to take him/her for a walk. If I don't, your pet won't get any attention besides having a bowl of food slid under the kennel door and the waste sprayed out of its pen with a high-powered hose.

If your dog is big, black or any of the "Bully" breeds (pit bull, rottie, mastiff, etc) it was pretty much dead when you walked it through the front door. Those dogs just don't get adopted.

It doesn't matter how 'sweet' or 'well behaved' they are. If your dog doesn't get adopted within its 72 hours and the shelter is full, it will be destroyed.

If the shelter isn't full and your dog is good enough, and of a desirable enough breed it may get a stay of execution, but not for long.

Most dogs get very kennel protective after about a week and are destroyed for showing aggression. Even the sweetest dogs will turn in this environment.

If your pet makes it over all of those hurdles chances are it will get kennel cough or an upper respiratory infection and will be destroyed because shelters just don't have the funds to pay for even a $100 treatment.

Here's a little euthanasia 101 for those of you that have never witnessed a perfectly healthy, scared animal being "put-down"....

First, your pet will be taken from its kennel on a leash. They always look like they think they are going for a walk - happy, wagging their tails.

Until, they get to "The Room", every one of them freak out and put the brakes on when we get to the door. It must smell like death or they can feel the sad souls that are left in there, it's strange, but it happens with every one of them.

Your dog or cat will be restrained, held down by 1 or 2 vet techs depending on the size and how freaked out they are.

Then a euthanasia tech or a vet will start the process. They will find a vein in the front leg and inject a lethal dose of the "pink stuff".

Hopefully your pet doesn't panic from being restrained and jerk. I've seen the needles tear out of a leg and been covered with the resulting blood and been deafened by the yelps and screams.

They all don't just "go to sleep", sometimes they spasm for a while, gasp for air and defecate on themselves.

When it all ends, your pet's corpse will be stacked like firewood in a large freezer in the back with all of the other animals that were killed waiting to be picked up like garbage.

What happens next? Cremated? Taken to the dump? Rendered into pet food? You'll never know and it probably won't even cross your mind. It was just an animal and you can always buy another one, right?

I hope that those of you that have read this are bawling your eyes out and can't get the pictures out of your head I deal with everyday on the way home from work.

I hate my job, I hate that it exists & I hate that it will always be there unless you people make some changes and realize that the lives you are affecting go much further than the pets you dump at a shelter.

Between 9 and 11 MILLION animals die every year in shelters and only you can stop it. I do my best to save every life I can but rescues are always full, and there are more animals coming in everyday than there are homes.

My point to all of this: DON'T BREED OR BUY WHILE SHELTER PETS DIE!

Hate me if you want to. The truth hurts and reality is what it is.

I just hope I maybe changed one person's mind about breeding their dog, taking their loving pet to a shelter, or buying a dog.

I hope that someone will walk into my shelter and say "I saw this and it made me want to adopt." THAT WOULD MAKE IT WORTH IT!

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
OK, first, you need to see if there are any Puppy Lemon Laws in your state to make the store PAY for the vet treatments you're going to need, second you need to report the store to AC for not getting the pup the proper medical attention. :mad:

I bought my Frank from a pet store, he had an URI and the store knew it when I bought him (informed me that he was being treated AND paid for his treatment until he was cleared). My boy is fine and nearly six years old now, however he hadn't advanced to Pneumonia.

Once ANY animal gets Pneumonia it permanently scars the lungs and make that being more prone to it in the future. From the sounds of it, your pup may need to be treated in house where they can keep him in a nebulizer tent and on IV drip. I'd do this and make SURE the store PAYS for it one way or the other (legal action if necessary).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you guys for your advice. I have not had time to check this with any animal medical professional though, there is some more bad news.. This morning, he had what I believe was a small seizure. I called the animal hospital, told them what he had done, and i brought him in right away. I called the pet store and they said they would cover everything, as long as he was put into their vet's care. I brought him to the pet store, and now I have found out he's going to be all alone from 8:30 tonight to 8 AM tomorrow morning since they can't bring him tonight! I'm really scared. I know this is what I have to do for them to cover it but him being all alone terrifies me, especially if he is in need of emergency medical assistance. :[

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
If I were you, I would give him back, and not let another puppy mill take my money.

Go to the shelter, and save a life.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
So they're going to keep him at the store until they're able to take him to "their" vet? Something about that seems fishy, it sounds like your typical tel store. I'm sure they could care less if the puppy makes it or not.

I would take him to your vet; if he's having seizures and also has pnemonia he can't just be left over night sitting there. He needs round the clock care.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
So they're going to keep him at the store until they're able to take him to "their" vet? Something about that seems fishy, it sounds like your typical tel store. I'm sure they could care less if the puppy makes it or not.

I would take him to your vet; if he's having seizures and also has pnemonia he can't just be left over night sitting there. He needs round the clock care.
That's exactly how I feel. Why should I trust them or their vet right now when they're the ones who sold me this very sick pet and their vet misdiagnosed it?

Unfortunately I can't; the doctor I spoke with today at the hospital said treatment would be around $2,000 and none of us have that kind of money :\ It puts us in a very hard position but everyone is telling me that he is a strong little boy and that he'll make it. it's so hard for me to believe but i feel like that's the only thing that will help me sleep tonight.

If I were you, I would give him back, and not let another puppy mill take my money.

Go to the shelter, and save a life.
I would love to have the ability to say 'here, take him back, I want a healthy one/ a refund', but I am so in love with this little guy. in such a short amount of time he has snuggled into such a big place in my heart. I had no idea I would get so attached so fast :[
A part of me feels as if I did save his life though, if it weren't for me who says he'd be getting this much attention anyways? I'm just trying to think positive right now... This is very hard.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
I suggest going to a different vet. Duncan (My heeler mix) got very sick with pneumonia when I rescue him and I know the treatment was not $2000.

All you can do for pneumonia is take an antibiotic. Also to break up the mucus; taking him into a shower or a bathroom that is full of steam should help. What costs the most is the check ups, but it should not be any where near $2000 to treat him.
Do you know for a fact he's having siezures?

The only other thing I can think of is if you tell the shop you'll cover vetting if they give you back the money you spent to buy the puppy. And while I really REALLy hate pet shops, I know you've got to be very attached to the dog by now.

I would find out what they want to do to treat the pneumonia and also look into a different vet.

When I was looking into HW treatment for Velma(My foster) one vet told me $1300 and my vet is $500. For basically the same treatment only I trust my vet more. So I would really consider a new vet.

Keep us updated on how Beethoven is doing. Teddie is my Shih Tzu and Velma is also a Shih Tzu, they are strong dogs, but when it come to respiratory that is their one weak spot.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
Thank you guys for your advice. I have not had time to check this with any animal medical professional though, there is some more bad news.. This morning, he had what I believe was a small seizure. I called the animal hospital, told them what he had done, and i brought him in right away. I called the pet store and they said they would cover everything, as long as he was put into their vet's care. I brought him to the pet store, and now I have found out he's going to be all alone from 8:30 tonight to 8 AM tomorrow morning since they can't bring him tonight! I'm really scared. I know this is what I have to do for them to cover it but him being all alone terrifies me, especially if he is in need of emergency medical assistance. :[
THEIR vet? I would trust the vets they use with a dead animal. He needs to be IN an animal hospital NOT at the pet store where he won't be looked after. Check those lemon laws, YOU have the power to say what treatment the animal gets, not the store (or a breeder):mad:

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
THEIR vet? I would trust the vets they use with a dead animal. He needs to be IN an animal hospital NOT at the pet store where he won't be looked after. Check those lemon laws, YOU have the power to say what treatment the animal gets, not the store (or a breeder):mad:
The only information on the lemon laws I can find say that the only right I have is to return the dog within fifteen days... there's nothing about allowing me to choose my form of care.

EDIT: Yep, just checked. I have no legal power to keep this dog, choose my choice of vet, and be reimbursed. All I can do is return him for a full refund.

I feel so bad for doing this. I know I should have gone to the pound, I don't even think having me and my family involved will save this pup :[

·
Registered
823 Posts
The only thing I can suggest is to get your pup back from the store and find a vet who can help you out with the cost. Good luck.

·
Registered
10,534 Posts
I'm SOO sorry to hear that! I don't know what state you're in, but definately get the AC involved in this, they left the pup untreated and allowed it to get this sick and STILL sold it to you. You may not have recourse on the vet treatment, but their are still laws when it comes to the health of dogs being sold and denial of proper medical treatment. I assume you have proof the pup was sick when you got it and hadn't been treated for a URI by the store?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm SOO sorry to hear that! I don't know what state you're in, but definately get the AC involved in this, they left the pup untreated and allowed it to get this sick and STILL sold it to you. You may not have recourse on the vet treatment, but their are still laws when it comes to the health of dogs being sold and denial of proper medical treatment. I assume you have proof the pup was sick when you got it and hadn't been treated for a URI by the store?
The proof I have closest to the date of purchase was two days after when i took him to the vet. The only thing I have at the time of purchase were witnesses of his runny nose and the yellow mucus left in the hair around his fur. I have a picture where the hair around his eyes and nose is wet, but that's as far as it goes. No one said anything about the runny nose the night of purchase.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I agree...I wouldn't trust them or their vet. Unfortunately pet stores don't care about their animals that they sell, if they cared about them they wouldn't be supporting the puppy mills and other low lifes that breed these puppies. They worry about profit....it's not profitable for them to spend a ton of money to save a dog that they probably paid $50 in the first place.

My feeling is if they had intentions of saving your puppy they would have had you take the pup to the hospital that they use, not bring a sick pup back to the store. If they had any good intentions they would not want a sick puppy there to possibly infect the other puppies.

I know you are in a bad position but if you want to try to save this pup you need to go back and demand your puppy back and get him to a vet. Not to sound harsh but I would not shock me at all if their vet said that there was nothing to do to save the puppy and he needs to be put to sleep:( That's the way they work. It's much easier and cheaper for them to give you a replacement puppy than to treat a sick one.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just got a call from my boyfriend (I had him call, I was honestly too scared to call) and he said that when they got to him this morning, he seemed really good. He was happy to see someone and he had been eating. He's at the vet's now, and they're going to keep him for three or four days (free of charge), find the right medicine and get him back up to health.

I'm so confused right now. The x-rays showed a lung lobe had collapsed and his bloodwork leaned in the direction of pneumonia, but he said it was just an upper-resperatory infection like a cold. How does this make sense? I mean, I'm glad he's okay but what about the evidence that showed he needed immediate medical attention? These people are making me want to pull my hair out!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Did you sign the puppy back over to them? I'm only asking this becuase if you didn't he's still your property and you should at least have the right to see what kind of care he's getting and have some input in what's going on with him.

I would find out what vet's office he's at and go there and check on him. I'm glad things sound like they are going well with the situation now but I still wouldn't trust them as far as I could throw them. Make sure you are involved in the care, make sure you know where he is and what's happening to him. He's your puppy, you have the right to know what's going on at all times (unless you signed him over to them).

If they won't tell you where he is and allow you access to him then go to that store and throw the biggest, loudest fit you can possibly throw....chances are they will want to shut you up so their other customers don't know they sold a sick puppy.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nope, he is property of my boyfriend and he wasn't even there at the time we brought him back.

He's at their regular vet's office, today they're starting him on IV and figuring out which medications would be best for him and I can call at any time. I'm not sure about visiting but I'm going to call and find out what the deal with that is. I don't know if I could visit, but either way I'm going to get all the information about his treatment and stay on top of it. They were more positive about his recovery than I imagined they would be, they said that it was caught early and that he should make a full recovery (when I call I'll ask about any permanent changes or damages to his entire upper resperatory system) and that puppies, although not very strong, don't die from it (I'm going to assume he means they don't die from this early stage of it, my reading has suggested if gone untreated pneumonia can kill a pup).

As kind and considerate as they're being now, there's absolutely no way I'm goinig to let this go. People I've told about this are suggesting law suits, but I want to do something bigger than that, you know? Something that will warn people about this and change things so no one has to go through this crap.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I would definitely contact someone, they can get in quite a bit of trouble for selling you a sick puppy.

It doesn't matter if they helped you treat it, they still sold you him unhealthy in the first place.

I'm glad he's doing better.

And this is a perfect example why pet stores/mall pet stores are bad. A sale just lines the pockets of Puppy mills and makes it possible for them to breed more animals, and not have a care in the world about the puppies health.

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
Go to the media! Call a TV news station! They just recently have run several stories on our local news about sick puppys bought from our local PetLand!
Good luck! I will be keeping your little pup in my prayers!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts