Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone!

My new puppy Champ has been throwing up and has had a lack of appetite for 2 weeks. We got him from the pound on June 29th, so I'm not completely sure if he had Giardia when he was there or if he got it at the park or at my house. He is about 4-5 months old. I took him to the vet for the first check-up and told him about it, the vet took a fecal sample and the results came back positive for Giardia. That vet gave me 250mg of Flagyl for 7 days, and I thought that may have cured it, but when I woke up this morning Champ wasn't eating and he threw up spit. He had diarahha last night, but ate a whole bowl of food. I took him to the vet again this morning, but a different vet and she did a whole list of things:

Perscirbed Famotidine 20mg Tbas
Gave Famotidine 10mg/Injection
Polydflex 200mg.ml
Fluids
Sulfasalazine 500mg Tabs
and Fecal Combo test

Total: $226

Now, None of these persciptions to my knowledge are to treat Giardia, one is for nausea and the other is for diarahha. I have been researching online and am concerned becuase it's contagious, and we have another dog in the house but have kept them pretty separate since we brought Champ home. Another concern is disinfecting. Do we have to bleach the backyard, toys, patio, front yard... etc? Because he has been in every room in the house, but has only used the bathroom outside. Also, we have a dirt and rock yard (we live in Las Vegas), so I'm not exactly sure how effective bleaching dirt will be...

He doesn't seem to be doing any better, the doc said don't have him eat anything for the rest of the day (That was at 10am), and give him a pill at night, then have him eat in the morning. Does anyone have suggestions on what I should give him to rid the parasite? Also, if he does heal...this parasite can come back right?

I currently am feeding him Innova Puppy Food (Hard), with a quarter can of the wet Innova Flex Puppy Chicken and Brown Rice Stew. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

LaLa

·
Registered
361 Posts
Taking a wild guess here at reading the vet's mind. You can always call to find out the exact reason for the meds...

When a dog has an intestinal issue like Giardia it can sometimes give rise to a secondary intestinal infection. The meds your vet gave and prescribed would treat the symptoms while waiting for fecal results and the polyflex is an antibiotic. Also, sometimes a dog's system needs a sort of reset after an intestinal illness and the meds prescribed would do that. I'm gonna assume a fecal combo test includes the giardia test and that the vet wants to see if the giardia is still around or was cured by the first round of metronidazole.

Sorry, it's 6am and I'm just getting up for work, but that's my best guess this early, lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Taking a wild guess here at reading the vet's mind. You can always call to find out the exact reason for the meds...

When a dog has an intestinal issue like Giardia it can sometimes give rise to a secondary intestinal infection. The meds your vet gave and prescribed would treat the symptoms while waiting for fecal results and the polyflex is an antibiotic. Also, sometimes a dog's system needs a sort of reset after an intestinal illness and the meds prescribed would do that. I'm gonna assume a fecal combo test includes the giardia test and that the vet wants to see if the giardia is still around or was cured by the first round of metronidazole.

Sorry, it's 6am and I'm just getting up for work, but that's my best guess this early, lol.

Thanks for the reply!

I'm feeling slightly better today. Champ tried for about 1 min to deficate this morning and only very little came out, maybe the size of a quarter, just enough for the fecal sample. I turned that into the vet, and should have results on Monday.

The pills he is on is the Famotidine and Sulfasalazine. Both are to be given twice daily. It's just the first day and he at least went to the bathroom tonight, although it was diarraha and very very runny. He's still deficating. I'm scared he's not going to get better, or I will have to spend more money on the vet we dont have. We are considering taking him to a no-kill rescue if the problem doesn't get resolved because we don't have that kidna of money to spend on vet bills.

We just took our other dog (Pep) to the vet and the bill was $500. Our other dog (Sammy) just passed away a few weeks ago, that bill was over $1,500 for the hospitalization and euthanization. I don't want to take Champ back, I really don't, but I'm scared this will be an on-going problem.:-(

We will wait till the fecal comes back and we're done with the meds..Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
I'm guessing that the fecal will also include a test for parvo. Anything is possible at this point. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
361 Posts
The only other thing I can suggest would be asking the vet about a temporary prescription diet.

Innova is an absolutely wonderful food but IMO there is nothing better for getting a dog back on track from an intestinal illness then the Hill's prescription I/D food. It's not great as a long term food but it can really help in the short-term while the meds are working and you are figuring out what is going on.

It's rough while going through it but he will get over this and he's just a pup right now. Years and years from now you won't even remember it happened. You'll just be enjoying the wonderful dog you have. That's how I'm making it through my puppy time, lol! I keep an eye to the future when they've become the dogs I'm molding them to be.

As to clean up from Giardia, generally speaking it's not a super hardy virus like parvo. Just a general clean of the area is usually enough to get rid of it. It tends to like standing water and doesn't survive long on dry ground. Make sure you clean up as much of the feces in your yard as you can. That should pretty much take care of it. At work we rarely see re-infection and it's not a huge concern. Important for you though is make sure you are washing your hands throughly after cleaning up from your pup since it is contagious to people.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been feeding him twice daily, normal amounts of food and within 30min-1hr he poops it back out with very watery diarreha. He's been on the med's for two days, he seems to feel a little better, but he is still having very bad diarreha.

Another question: I have read on the forum to switch him to a "bland" diet for a week until his system can recover. What does this entail? Chicken and rice? How exactly do I prepare it? What kinda of chicken? How much? He's a 20lb german shep mix. Thanks!

·
Registered
361 Posts
boiled plain chicken is the best for a bland diet. I know some people like brown rice to go with it but to make the diet as boring as possible I'd usually use white rice.

I've always just eyeballed the amount in cases like this. If it looks like enough then I go for it and just watch the dog. Does it seem like it's still starving after finishing? Does it seem to much for the dog to eat enthusiastically? Add more or take some away depending. I'd figure you'd average out to around 3/4lb total each meal, give or take some.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just got the fecal results back...He's still got Giardia.

The vet tried to give me a couple different perscriptions, but I couldn't afford them all, so I just asked her to give me the parasite persciption. Panacur. He is also still taking the other two meds the vet gave before in addition to the Panacur.
It's the one you sprinkle on the food. He threw up again this morning. I just got back from the store, bought some chicken and rice, and am boiling it hopefully he eats it.

I can't afford this vet anymore, I'm thinking of changing. I think I read on here PetsMart or Petco offers a vet for a monthly fee and you get free visits and things? I'll keep looking...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Definitely check into the PetSmart/PetCo vet thing. It should be a lot cheaper. My gf wanted us to do that for our dog, but for whatever reason I didn't and ended up paying for pet insurance to cover SOME of our costs at the vet. It still cost us a lot of money. He also had a Giardia problem. We tried 2 different types of meds, both didn't work. So we settled for this vaccine so that he won't be contagious. However, he never really threw up or had diarrhea so our problems weren't so bad. I decided to stop going in to test if the Giardia is gone, it might be by now. His stool is solid and he doesn't vomit.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
he's been taking Panacur for the past 6 days and still has diarreha. my father has been feeding him a chicken, rice, and bread diet and nothing is working. I'm afraid we may have to take him to a rescue. I'mma try another round of med's and keep him in a cage for a week, to make sure the infection isn't from the house. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Also, does anyone have an opinion about this link?
http://www.beaglesunlimited.com/beaglehealth_giardiasis.htm

He says theres a over the counter product of Metronidazole called "Fish-Zole" that is the exact same as what the vet gives, but more tablets and cheaper. Any ideas?

·
Registered
329 Posts
Yes ..I actually know quite a few people that have used the fish-zole product for there dogs and it cleaned up.

I myself have used the recommendations out of
The veterinarians guide to natural remedies for dogs (I found it at my library,and then purchased it) they give a remedy for demodex mange that cured my rescue girl of her mange and giaradia .It was
Neem plus (oral one pill twice a day for under 30lbs)
http://www.ayush.com/shop/product_view.asp?id=117035&StoreID=DC2E0DAD1FE14086916ED59A2764CBC0&private_product=0
Triphala (1 tablet twice a day)
http://www.ayush.com/shop/product_view.asp?id=117033&StoreID=DC2E0DAD1FE14086916ED59A2764CBC0&private_product=0
Ashwaganda (one 500mg tablet twice a day)
http://www.ayush.com/shop/product_view.asp?id=117037&StoreID=DC2E0DAD1FE14086916ED59A2764CBC0&private_product=0
It get rid of parasites with-in 3 to 6 weeks (that diagnosis time was for mange though which is tougher to fight)

Have you tried albon or Safe-guard...? I regularly treat my dogs with safe-guard it works like a charm.

As for treating your yard try walking the dog outside of your fence and cleaning up the fecal matter right after they go.

Bland diet try Ground beef (chuck or sirloin) and brown rice.Some dogs do not do good on chicken.Also try adding some canned pumpkin or sweet potato as a fiber this works great with very loose stool.Also you could try a fast for a day to settle the stomach down.

Another book you may like is Dr.Pitcarin's guide to natural guide for dog & cats

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Panacur and SafeGuard are the same thing...fenbendazole

·
Registered
10 Posts
my dog also had giardia as a puppy. i was lucky enough that his case cleared up the first time on meds. i don't remember the medication but i am going to the vet tomorrow so if i remember i will ask. i do remember that they put him on a probiotic which definitely helps their immune system fight diseases sense a lot of antibiotic can also kill good bacteria so it is a good idea to replace it. a probiotic is relatively cheap so it may be a good idea.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XN-5Nnk8Sys

1 - 13 of 13 Posts