Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, we picked up a new puppy from animal control yesterday afternoon, he had been neutered earlier in the day. When we picked him he was pretty alert and seemed to have a good level of energy. He wouldn't eat like expected, but he did regurgitate his water when he drank it at first, I suspect because he had a bit too much at once.

Today though, has been different. He seems very lethargic and while he'll get up and walk around, he is nowhere near as alert as yesterday. He still won't eat, and now is uninterested in water too. The last time he had water was about 5.5 hours ago. No vomiting but his stool is very soft and mushy, but not diarrhea like (yet).

I'm wondering if this is just a typical thing from him being neutered to be fairly energetic but lethargic the next day, or if he definitely needs to see the vet. I feel like he should be eating by now, and his lack of interest in drinking water suddenly is concerning me. What is everyone's thoughts?

Thanks

·
Registered
933 Posts
Personally, I suggest you go with your gut, if you are that concerned then definitely put a call to the vet. It is better to be safe then sorry. That being said, it is expected for them to be off for a couple days or so after surgery, especially if any kind of pain meds are given.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Hey everyone, we picked up a new puppy from animal control yesterday afternoon, he had been neutered earlier in the day. When we picked him he was pretty alert and seemed to have a good level of energy. He wouldn't eat like expected, but he did regurgitate his water when he drank it at first, I suspect because he had a bit too much at once.

Today though, has been different. He seems very lethargic and while he'll get up and walk around, he is nowhere near as alert as yesterday. He still won't eat, and now is uninterested in water too. The last time he had water was about 5.5 hours ago. No vomiting but his stool is very soft and mushy, but not diarrhea like (yet).

I'm wondering if this is just a typical thing from him being neutered to be fairly energetic but lethargic the next day, or if he definitely needs to see the vet. I feel like he should be eating by now, and his lack of interest in drinking water suddenly is concerning me. What is everyone's thoughts?

Thanks
Last dog I had with similar symptoms (a rescue I was supposed to be babysitting over the weekend) turned out to have parvo. It could just be a reaction to the surgery, but personally, I'd be going to the vet as soon as possible.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
I would go to the vet ASAP. Coming from a county shelter and those sort of symptoms, you don't want to risk it and if it's parvo catching it early is all the better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey everyone, so he went to the vet's office yesterday and according to the vet he has colonitis. The pup wasn't running a fever so the vet ruled out parvo and didn't run any bloodwork. He gave him an antibiotic to be shot in his mouth via syringe which we started giving to him yesterday. He ate a couple times in small amounts and certainly had more spring to his step yesterday than the day before. This morning he seemed more energetic as well but wouldn't eat anything.

I'm still a little concerned that he isn't eating particularly much, but the vet did say it would take him a day to start feeling better. I'm also wondering if i'm just feeling overly cautious anyways (which is way better than the other way around, of course)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey everyone, another update. He was doing a lot worse today, still wasn't eating, was just sleeping all day and threw up once. Now he is back at the vet with my girlfriend currently, I'm really hoping it's not parvo...

·
Registered
933 Posts
Sending lots of positive, healing vibes your way!!!!!!

·
Registered
13,075 Posts
Just got home and checked in .... sending prayers to all ........

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hey everyone, another update. He tested positive for parvo unfortunately. The vet sent him home with us with a bunch of Medicine and we are take him back tomorrow morning matter how good or bad he is doing.

I feel like he has a decent chance at recovery, he had just started vomiting a lot right before we took him to the vet and had no diarrhea until we were already there. We are gonna do our best to keep him plenty hydrated. Does anyone have tips or suggestions to help us out?

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
If he is vomiting, you will have a very hard time keeping him.hydrated. He should be on intravenous fluids. Did they say why they didn't want to hospitalize him for fluid therapy?

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Did they send you home with subQ fluids or to come back for them through out the treatment? Fluids are pretty key. If he is still drinking pedialyte is a good bet as well.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
He hasn't vomited since going to the vet, and he hasn't had any diarrhea either. He is drinking periodically in small amounts and we are also giving him Pedialite orally.

thosewordsatbest, he didn't send him home with any subq fluids. The vet didn't really give a lot of information unfortunately.

·
Registered
10,837 Posts
Do you have another vet you could go to? I would probably look for a second opinion with better treatment options. I don't think treating at home is terrible, but subq fluids are pretty important.

·
Registered
933 Posts
I agree parvo is a nasty illness that you do not want to mess around with, if this vet is unwilling to give information about treatment I suggest finding another vet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hey guys, another update. We took him to the hospital last night after deciding that we just couldn't give him the care he needs at home. We had to make a big decision based on how expensive it is to treat him, and we decided to leave him there for intensive treatment. He has had a lot of diarrhea in the past few hours according to the doctor but he is on an IV and is in good hands. I'm hoping we got him in right as it started to get bad.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts