Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my new puppy 3 and a half weeks. His first day in my home he spent much of his time "frozen", too scared to move about freely. He did not get comfortable enough to sniff around and check out his new place for about 2 days.Then, he would not go up or down stairs, would not follow me out doors, but was uncomfortable being picked up and/ or carried. All the above issues have improved already. He does very well with my other dogs and when he is with them he is at his most joyous, playful self!! I have enrolled him and another of my dogs in a beginner's obed class. So far I have not been able to train the puppy to do anything! Not even "sit". He just shuts down, goes into frozen mode. Is it just too soon for this little guy? When on leash this puppy just shuts down and does a nice impression of a mule, so for now I am having to pick him up and carry him out to potty. My main question is, should I lighten up on him for a while until he settles in and gains more confidence and bonds more closely with me/us?

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
You don't lighten up on the training but, you might want to try a different training method. When a dog freezes that's a defense mechanisim...usually out of fear. That's certainly better than fight or flight.
As for the stairs, young puppies have a hard time with them because their back ends are still fairly undeveloped. The coordination skills just aren't there yet.
Getting too far from home is very scary. Puppies are born with a survival instinct to stay close to the den. You can easily walk up and down the driveway and expand his world as he's ready for it.
Buiilding the bond/trust is very important and you'll see that come into play when you start going to new places like class so, keep working on building that trust.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts