Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a mini dauschound puppy about 5 days ago. He has been very lively, playing, and eating. But today he seems to not really want to eat much and he had diarreaha since yesterday and now he is throwing up. I noticed there is something that looks like a piece of string in his throw-up. I think it might be some kind of worm. I wanted to know if I could just buy him wormer at the vet's office but not have an appointment and also if this is serious. Cause I'm worried about Little Scooter.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I would suggest a vet visit. It is always a good idea to take a new puppy in for a check up. Your vet will check heart, lungs, eyes, ears, internal organs, joints, etc. You should take a stool sample in with you to check for internal parasites (there are a few that are not visible to the naked eye.) The vet will normally deworm your puppy in the office or send home a wormer. He/she will also check to make sure that your puppy is vaccinated appropriately. Right now parvo virus is in full swing. The symptoms of parvo:
http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+1556&aid=467
So please take you little one in for a vet check. Let us know how your puppy is doing.

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
Get the dog to the vet today. It sounds like parasites, but in any case you would want to get this treated ASAP. Puppies can go downhill in a matter of hours. And parvo needs to be treated in the first 24-48 hours.

It is always suggested that any new dog to a household should be seen by a vet for a thorough exam within the first 72 hours. Your purchase contract may depend on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took Sooter to the vet this morning. He has worms of course but, he also has parvo. I let them give him fluids and a steroid injection for the parvo and they sent him home with an antibiotic because I could not really afford to keep him at the vets. Well I came back home and my 5 year old, it's her dog, was drawing pictures of her and her puppy holding hands and writing I love U and posting it on his kennel. After this I decided Scooter needed to return to the vet's office to make sure he would be ok. So we brought him back to stay for a couple of days to get him well. The vet said he has an 80-90% chance of beating the parvo. I am now $400 in the hole but, will have a healthy puppy, and a very very happy little girl when her puppy comes back home. She's already made me call to check on him twice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Vet did give me a prescription of Tamiflu. Scooter got a dose before he went to the vet. I asked the vet if they wanted me to leave the medicine with them for Scooter but, they said no. They said the antibiotics they give at their office is through I.V. So, guess I got an extra doggie prescription. lol

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
The Vet did give me a prescription of Tamiflu. Scooter got a dose before he went to the vet. I asked the vet if they wanted me to leave the medicine with them for Scooter but, they said no. They said the antibiotics they give at their office is through I.V. So, guess I got an extra doggie prescription. lol

Oh good :) Parvo is so hard to beat, and lots of people don't know about Tamiflu, and most vets don't either.. It sounds like you have a good vet though!! I'll keep you and your puppy in my thoughts!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
I am so glad your took your little Scooter to the vet. He will be in my thoughts and prayers. Your little girl sounds like a little doll. Please keep us updated on Scooter's progress. He is in the best place he could be where he will have 24hr. care. Hang in there. In the mean time check the stickie for parvo clean up posted in this section. Make plans on how you will care for him when he comes home.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I just got a mini dauschound puppy about 5 days ago. He has been very lively, playing, and eating. But today he seems to not really want to eat much and he had diarreaha since yesterday and now he is throwing up. I noticed there is something that looks like a piece of string in his throw-up. I think it might be some kind of worm. I wanted to know if I could just buy him wormer at the vet's office but not have an appointment and also if this is serious. Cause I'm worried about Little Scooter.
Well done!!!Bring dog to vet is the correct thing to do when something is not going normally.And there are a lot of viruses and bacteria that doesn't give you any time.Believe me.I lost two dogs from bacteria(without symptoms).When they fell from their legs,they fell to die.And i am very strict with the care of my dogs...Don't hesitate to run to vet if something looks strange...Keep your vaccines Ok - Rabbies is once a year but virals are every 6 months.Do not fail these!!!! Ask your vet for heart worms preventionThis one protects the dogs from other parasites also. Is once a month and is a great protection!!!If the dog gets sick,this protections means less money in tests trying to find the cause of sickness.Vets are never cheap.We can try to make ithings less dificult.(And i even sugest a piggy bank to save money for those situations )I am 54 and had dogs all my life.Can i tell you!!!BUT THEY WORTH EVERY PENNEY!!!!!!!!Take good care of scooter and when we gets well ,do all those things.In the meantime,we will be praying for him and all your family.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts