Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. So I brought him home today. He's so awesome. 10 weeks. Got used to the new inside environment really quickly. He's already had two accidents inside, so I'm trying to nip it in the bud and get him outside to eliminate so that I can praise him for going in the right place, but each time i bring him out, he gets very scared. He's never been on a leash before, so that's problem number 1. But I can't get him to follow me to go where he needs to go. He'll sit in one place with his tail between his legs, or when i do get him to come to me, he cowers under my feet or tries to get up on me. If I tug on the leash gentle, he cries. Short of dragging him across the grass, I'm not sure how to get him to be able to eliminate outside. Soon as I turn around he runs back to the stairs to go back up. I know it's only day one, but I'm a little concerned cause he's used to being outside alot. Feel free to tell me if i'm just being crazy on the first day, but he was really scared, but I can't let him just go in the house either. Right?

BTW, picture are coming soon I promise.

-Bryan

·
Registered
29 Posts
haha you may be going a little crazy:p you gotta remeber that although he may be used to the environment, the backyard is a big scary place for him, and by putting him on the lead you have taken away his natural insticnt of flight in times of fear, so he freezes. Just try to coax him outside when he doesnt need to go toilet and reward him when he is there, then do the exact same thing when he needs to go. by encouraging him outside hopefully without the lead then he will associate being called outside as something good

·
Registered
467 Posts
Dude, it's day 1! To say what I always say -- manage those expectations. Poor pup has just been taken away from "home", introduced to a new environment, lost his mother (or foster home), and introduced to a new way of doing things. 2 accidents in the house and a little fear of the backyard is to be expected.

Of course, my guess is you don't want him eliminating all over the house. Although to be honest, puppy poop is no big deal. Your dog will probably go in the house a lot. Well, ours did. His tiny brain isn't even finished growing yet. That will happen at about 12 weeks.

Point is, chill. Take it all day by day, expect things to go slowly, expect housetraining to be a pain in the butt, understand that there will be good days and bad days, and just have fun with your new addition.

·
Registered
5,997 Posts
Get him used to the leash inside. Put the leash on him inside (where he's comfortable) and let him drag it around the house basically. You can even try leading him around the house while he's on the leash. This way he doesn't think the leash is a bad thing. Then take him outside on the porch on the leash and just sit there. Let him explore the area around the porch or just the porch or just sit on the porch if he wants to. Eliminating on your porch is not ideal, but it beats the house. Once he's comfortable there, without pulling on the leash, get up and walk a little further from the house. Let the dog explore there. Don't give the dog affection or anything during this period. The dog is scared and we don't want to reward him for being scared. Just walk out there like you own the place and the dog will pick up, "Hey, they're not scared, why should I be?" (Well, that's the idea anyway.) Take it slow though. This is a pup and he's being thrown into a brand new environment that he knows nothing about.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I know all that stuff. It just really freaked me out the way he react. I expected him to be nervous, but he just froze.

Get him used to the leash inside. Put the leash on him inside (where he's comfortable) and let him drag it around the house basically. You can even try leading him around the house while he's on the leash. This way he doesn't think the leash is a bad thing. Then take him outside on the porch on the leash and just sit there. Let him explore the area around the porch or just the porch or just sit on the porch if he wants to. Eliminating on your porch is not ideal, but it beats the house. Once he's comfortable there, without pulling on the leash, get up and walk a little further from the house. Let the dog explore there. Don't give the dog affection or anything during this period. The dog is scared and we don't want to reward him for being scared. Just walk out there like you own the place and the dog will pick up, "Hey, they're not scared, why should I be?" (Well, that's the idea anyway.) Take it slow though. This is a pup and he's being thrown into a brand new environment that he knows nothing about.
I think the leash is a big part of the issue too. I'm trying to let him walk around the house with it on. Like I said. Everything else went SO much better than expect, so I wasn't expecting him to be so freaked out by being outdoors. I just want to help him adjust as fast as possible. (and I owe it to my roommates to avoid as may accidents as possible.)

Please go easy on my guys. This is my first dog so odds are they'll be more of these little freak outs, haha.

·
Registered
130 Posts
My doxie acted the SAME way when we got him at 4 months. It took him about 1week to be comfortable with just going outside -- he didnt even go near grass when we first got him!

However eventually, he got more and more comfy -- a new enviornment truly shocks dogs way beyond our comprehension!

He will be FINE, don't worry in the least -- every dog is different to adapting to changes, especially when coming to a brand new home. Keep taking him out on schedule for potty trips, don't alter it, and keep going. PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE.

You'll see, changes will come!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My doxie acted the SAME way when we got him at 4 months. It took him about 1week to be comfortable with just going outside -- he didnt even go near grass when we first got him!

However eventually, he got more and more comfy -- a new enviornment truly shocks dogs way beyond our comprehension!

He will be FINE, don't worry in the least -- every dog is different to adapting to changes, especially when coming to a brand new home. Keep taking him out on schedule for potty trips, don't alter it, and keep going. PRAISE PRAISE PRAISE.

You'll see, changes will come!
Yea he's starting to get a little better about walking around. I still have to give him a little tug every now and then though. Terrified about going down the stairs, (we live on the 3rd floor) but I'm sure he'll learn that eventually. What's the best way to get him on a potty schedule. I've been trying to get him out every few hours, or when he looks like he has to go, but I wouldn't call it a schedule. He's just starting to sorta eat out of his bowl so hopefully he'll be able to begin a feeding schedule soon.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Will he take treats outside? If so try giving him treats outside.

Do not tug on the leash, this reinforces that the leash is bad. Instead put the leash on inside and give him treats if he is following you around.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Will he take treats outside? If so try giving him treats outside.

Do not tug on the leash, this reinforces that the leash is bad. Instead put the leash on inside and give him treats if he is following you around.
Depend on how scared he is. If I can get him to kind of run around toward me he'll take one. I give him one if he'll run to me and when he uses the bathroom outside. I give him a gentle tug to tell him to come this way. How can I do this with out giving him the nudge? And help him see the leash as a good thing?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Depend on how scared he is. If I can get him to kind of run around toward me he'll take one. I give him one if he'll run to me and when he uses the bathroom outside. I give him a gentle tug to tell him to come this way. How can I do this with out giving him the nudge? And help him see the leash as a good thing?
I would start feeding your dog outdoors so he will look forward to going outdoors. As for the leash start indoors let him drag it, lure him with treats to follow you around with the leash on, once he is fine with that keep doing it but now pick up the leash and keep luring with treats. Master that inside and move to outside afterward. This should not take more than a few sessions if done properly.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would start feeding your dog outdoors so he will look forward to going outdoors. As for the leash start indoors let him drag it, lure him with treats to follow you around with the leash on, once he is fine with that keep doing it but now pick up the leash and keep luring with treats. Master that inside and move to outside afterward. This should not take more than a few sessions if done properly.
When we're inside he runs straight for the couch. And he won't follow me even with treats. If I pick him up off the couch and put him on the ground and try to get him to follow me with a treat, he turns right around back up on the couch. Now he'll come sit by me and snuggle, but he hates getting down.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
When we're inside he runs straight for the couch. And he won't follow me even with treats. If I pick him up off the couch and put him on the ground and try to get him to follow me with a treat, he turns right around back up on the couch. Now he'll come sit by me and snuggle, but he hates getting down.
I'm not sure how the couch enters the equation but if you don't want him on the couch just train him not to be on the couch. At this point the couch seems more of a resource than the treats. Either the treats are very low value or you're giving him too many thus lowering their value. The best training times are before they are fed.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update-- After only one week of being home we went on our first 10 hour walk. I'm so proud of him. Thanks for all the help guys. It really was helpful. And if anyone reads this thread later on, just be patient and it'll happen.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
congrats! I'm hoping in a few days, my Trent will be warming up to the leash and collar. Right now, he won't have anything to do with both. Luckily, he follows me very well and I actually walked around the block two times without leash or collar and just him at my heels and my sister behind to catch him if he runs off.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
congrats! I'm hoping in a few days, my Trent will be warming up to the leash and collar. Right now, he won't have anything to do with both. Luckily, he follows me very well and I actually walked around the block two times without leash or collar and just him at my heels and my sister behind to catch him if he runs off.
He will soon. Only took Waldo a week. It's great that he already follows you around. Use that. Also, you should probably always have him wear it outside. You'll want to get him used to it as soon as possible and want him to realize that for the most part, being outside means he has to wear it. Just like his collar, he'll soon become so used to it he'll miss it when it's not there (like a wrist watch or ring). Waldo pretty much torn up his collar with his scratching, but I didnt give him any choice, and now he doesn't notice it. Don't worry. Before you know it he'll be happy to have you lead the way!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yea he's starting to get a little better about walking around. I still have to give him a little tug every now and then though. Terrified about going down the stairs, (we live on the 3rd floor) but I'm sure he'll learn that eventually. What's the best way to get him on a potty schedule. I've been trying to get him out every few hours, or when he looks like he has to go, but I wouldn't call it a schedule. He's just starting to sorta eat out of his bowl so hopefully he'll be able to begin a feeding schedule soon.

BE DILIGENT! I had to take my guy out every 2 hours until he would even GO to the bathroom outside! Once I saw that, I began SLOWLY increasing intervals...and i mean by 5 minutes, 10 minutes, etc. Since he was only a few months at the time, I knew i couldn't go in bigger intervals.

THE FEEDING SCHEDULE IS CRUCIAL. Fixed time to eat = fixed time for potty. You'll start to get an idea of when he goes. I'm at the point where my doxie goes 3 times a day, and almost the same times every day (obviously not all the time, he has his off days as well).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts