Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we are getting a puppy. we are so excited! but i am also nervous. the puppy is going to be 6 weeks old when we get him. long story short, we live in a SMALL town and we are getting the puppy from an even smaller town (pop. maybe 150??) and people are set in their ways about the age that a puppy can leave its mom. i am hoping that iorek will be helpful in teaching the new guy the things he will miss from his mom and siblings. also, a friend of ours here is getting a brother of the new guy too so we will get all 3 of them together for lots of socialization.

some questions that i can think of now are:

will iorek and a sibling be enough for socialization?

vaccines?? this is a big issue with me. i know he will be a little guy, and i don't even know how old they have to be to get their shots, but i also don't really know how i feel about vaccines. iorek had his puppy series and his 3 year rabies, but i don't know if i will do anymore, other than rabies every 3 years (by law). my kitties don't get vaccines and neither do my ferrets. i have conflicting feeling about this. i don't want the new little guy to end up with parvo or something if i don't vaccinate him. the closest vet is 2 1/2 hours away and i really don't want a sick puppy because i didn't vaccinate. i know that this is really controversial but i would like some opinions about what i should do. i don't believe that vaccines should be given every year, or at all sometimes.

i haven't ever had a puppy this young before. we got iorek at 4 1/2 months! i am nervous about him being so young, so any advice would be great!!

here are a few pictures taken with my husband's blackberry (i forgot the camera, i won't forget it next time!) of the puppies. we haven't picked one out yet but hopefully we will be going out there today to do just that! the mommy is a gsd and the dad is a gsd/husky. it was an "oops" litter and they are spaying the mommy as soon as they can. please excuse the size and blurriness of the pictures.

they were 2 days old in these pictures, they will be 2 weeks old tomorrow.

thank you in advance for the advice!

·
Registered
714 Posts
i got both of my huskies at 6 weeks, but had my akita to help with all the socialization and biting issues that they go through. i also had the dogs at my parents to help. i never had any issues to be honest. just make sure you curb any bad behaviors early, like mouthing and nipping.

the only thing is they cant hold their bladder as long as an older pup, so early morning potty breaks will happen usually about every 3-4 hours. but with my first husky, he actually slept from 10p to 5a, so you might not have to deal with the really early mornings. i would also suggest a crate ( if you havent made that decision already). it makes housebreaking so much easier and it also gives the puppy a safe place. both of my boys still go to their crates if they want to relax and nap.

as for vacs. i kept my guys at home until they got their last set of puppy shots. but i got them their shots as around here we have had outbreaks of distemper and parvo, and i wasnt taking any chances. and kenos last set of shots was at 16 weeks ( 4 months) i do believe. but i do know people who just get puppy shots up to 8 weeks before taking them out and about. here our dogs only get the shots every other year, aside from rabies, which is every3 years i think. so it will be up to you and what you want to do and what your area is like.

and also, since your pup will have some husky, i will warn you of their sensitive tummies. it took us almost a full year to finally find a food koozie could handle with no problems and the puppy food we gave him, upset kenos tummy, so we are on our thrid brand of food with him!

and although i'm sure you know this, make sure you supervise all interactions. and also make sure that if iorek seems stressed or he doesnt seem to know how to tell the pup not to bite, you are stepping in, until he can decide how he wants to tell the pup what he wants. my akita was nervous with koozie, the first husky, and he would bite her on her lips and mouth, and she wasnt sure how to handle it, so i would tell koozie no and izzy would remove herself from that situation. and after a few times, she knew it was okay for her to disapline him and shes been great ever since.

and at that young, they sleep...a lot. its like sleep, eat, poop, and play a little bit. but as they get older and into a routine they get more active. and there is a good chance you will deal with a lot of whining/howling the first few nights. unless you know they want to go outside, your best bet is to ignore them. otherwise your setting yourself up for a chance fo s.a.

but thats all i can think of off the top of my head, but can't wait to see pictures!

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info.

i didn't realize that huskies were known for having sensitive tummies. i am, unfortunately, an old hack at finding things for sensitive tummies since iorek couldn't eat a single kind of kibble at all!! he is eating raw now and it is great. i had a siberian husky growing up and he didn't have a sensitive tummy at all.

i have a crate but i am not sure yet if i will use it. i know that it helps with the potty training but we have a crate for iorek and we didn't use it for potty training at all. my plan is to take him out when he gets up, after he eats, you know, all that stuff. basically i am going to take him out during the day every 2 hours or so and at night i will set the alarm and get up to take him out often - that is what i did with iorek and he had very few accidents, but he was older when we got him.

right now iorek sleeps in the bedroom with us and we plan to have the puppy in there with us too. i keep the cats out at night because i know they have their litter and everything they need out of the room (plus they don't let me sleep!) but with the dogs, if they were out of the room i wouldn't hear if they needed to go out or whatever. i think that the first few nights will be tiring but we will make it through. thank goodness we are both teachers and not working in the summer!

as for iorek. i will keep an extra good eye on him and how he is doing but i am sure that he will be fine for teaching the dog lessons. iorek knows "dog" better than most dogs i know. he spent his first 4 1/2 months mostly with other dogs so he understands the signals really good. i hope that he doesn't get stressed by anything the pup does but i will always give him an "out" and i will monitor everything.

thanks again for the advice :)

·
Registered
714 Posts
your welcome!

and i wish we could feed raw, but we dont have the freezer space...yet. i'm working on re doing our garage so hopefully i will be able to. but i know a lot of huskies who have tummy issues due to food, but hopefully you wont have that issues, esp if you feed raw!

and the alarm setting works. i did that too, bc it was easier for me to wake up than have him wake me up!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I would give the puppy shots, if nothing else. Ruby got puppy shots at 8+12 weeks, and rabies at 16, but she will only get the rabies every three years from now on, unless for some reason we are required to get any more when we move. Parvo is very common around where I live so I would never have considered not getting the puppy shots.

As you would have to go so far for the shots maybe you could look into whether there is somewhere you can buy the vaccination and have someone near you administer it. I know that near me the local mobile groomer will administer the shot if you have bought it, although I have a vet down the road from me so have never used that service.

And congratulations! He will be gorgeous :)

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks guys! :D we are going on monday to pick out the puppy. i can't wait!

i was thinking that i would do the puppy series of shots and then maybe no more. i will have to look into buying the shots and getting someone else to do it. i don't know if there would be anyone around here who could do it though. we only moved here and we only know teachers so far. no nurses or anything yet. :)

i will post pictures when i get back on monday :)

·
Registered
5,071 Posts
Most vets do a set of three, at about 5-6, then another at 8-9 weeks, and the final around 12-16 weeks. Usually the breeder takes care of the first two, but in your case I'd be doubtful that they would provide any, so I'd talk to your vet and ask what sorts of plans for vaccinations he has. I've never heard of just giving one set of shots or something, though, that sounds terribly dangerous. Even though it's a long drive, it's very important to have your pup fully vaccinated.

Also, find out when the pups are being weaned. 6 weeks is like, JUST weaned, as in, one day ago they were still suckling. However, some bad breeders can "get away with" weaning pups onto canned food as early as 3 weeks in order to try to sell them earlier. (Which sucks, cuz they don't even have teeth then!) Anyways, pups get immunities from their mother's milk and if there is too much of a gap between the time they're weaned and the time they get their first sets of shots, then they're very vulnerable to disease. My boyfriend's sister had an oops litter with her Aussie, and she weaned them onto cat food at 3 weeks and sold them at 5 weeks, and one puppy (that we know of, she didn't exactly keep in contact) ended up getting very sick and dying. I think it was Parvo.

Anyways, my point is, find out when they're being weaned (hopefully at 6 weeks) and make sure to get them their first set of shots right away at 6 weeks. If they're weaned early, be VERY careful about minimizing possible exposure to any diseases.

Oh and congrats on your new pup! :) Reminds me of my family dog growing up named Abby; she was a Border Collie/German Shepherd/Husky. I hope your pup is as much as a joy she was :D

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
If you can, get your vet to only give the distemper and parvo vaccines. I wouldn't dare to go without those, but I hate overloading a baby's system with the combo vaccines. You need to re-do them every 3-4 weeks or so until 16 weeks of age to keep him protected, with the last vaccine given after 16 weeks of age for lasting immunity. And no rabies shot until 6 months old, if you can get away with it.

Anyway, that's what I would do if I ever ended up with another puppy! :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
I got my first rottweiler at 6 weeks, and Im not sure if that is why she is kinda well bitchy, she had puppy socalization to no end, she was in dog training until she was 3, class after class... Cash was 8 weeks.. and Im getting a new puppy as well Hopefully on the 25th, the pups will be 8 weeks on the 27th so my breeder said 2 days should be ok as long as she has made 1st pic first (hopefully its not the girl I want)

My breeder gave all my dogs their first set of shots before I got them, and I also give my own shots besides rabies, but they always go in for a puppy check to get started on heartworm.. You should be ok just make sure you socialize your pup with people, kids, and ALL ANIMALS, but not until you get the first series of shots, you want to prevent any illnesses

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks guys :)

i like the idea of just the distemper and parvo shots. i will have to ask my vet about that. it really sucks being so far away from a vet.

i am planning on letting the puppy in our yard and around our other pets right away since it can't be any different but iorek will still have to go to the soccer pitch for his runs. i know my guys don't have anything that the new guy can catch. i don't know how common distemper or parvo is around here but since there is no vet here i doubt many people get their pets vaccinated.

i will have to check into when the people are planning to wean the pups. i am guessing that they will let the mommy decide. they seem like very nice people, like they want the best for the puppies and the mom.

thanks again for all the advice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts