Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just purchased a Pekapoo this past weekend and he is the perfect little dog so far. We call him Peabody - thus my screen name. Before they sent Peabody home with us, the seller bathed him. He definitely has the Pekinese hair, full and silky. His hair is quite long and they told us that he may need to have it all cut off soon! We don't want to cut all of it off, but I am concerned that he is rubbing his ears and body a lot. It seems that his ears are bothering him most.

I've looked in his ears and they're pink and clean. I've checked his coat and don't see any signs of parasites. I don't know about dry skin - it's kind of hard to tell since there is so little skin and so much hair. I'm wondering if his hair is tickling him, especially around the ears, or if some kind of shampoo was used that irritated his skin somewhat. Has anyone else encoutered this? He is our first small dog and the first with such a long coat. I really hate the thought of clipping him too much.

Could anyone tell me what I might do to make him more comfortable? He doesn't seem miserable, but it is distracting to him when he has to stop whatever he's doing to rub his ears and face.

·
Registered
40 Posts
this could be a food allergy, did you ask what they were feeding him? And also what are you feeding him? changing diets too fast can cause a multitude of things from loose stool to itchy skin ... also alot of dogs are allergic to grains ... you should try a high quaility food and see if that helps you. Before i decided to go raw i used Orijin, Innova, and some chicken soup as well .... the chicken soup is a good food that is not overly expensive, it would be a good one to buy just to see if you see any improvments. Around here i get a 6lb bag of puppy for about $8.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for responding so quickly. The place where we bought him fed him a brand I had never heard of before, Royal Canin. They told us that it's a rare brand, but we could pretty much feed him any IAMs food and it would be the same. I bought some IAMs puppy food. One concern is that he really hasn't eaten too much since we brought him home (Sunday evening - today is Tuesday). He's been drinking plenty of water and doesn't seem to be ill. He's very playful and happy. He has been eating some IAMs puppy treats as we're trying to leash train him and fully housebreak him. We decided this morning that he may be getting too many treats and filling up on those, so we're going very easy on the treats today so we'll see if he'll eat. He was used to eating dry food, so that isn't an issue.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I would recommend switching from IAMS ... if you were to rate 1-10 on foods i myself would gine iams 4.5/10. ingredient list ...

Chicken, Corn Meal, Chicken By-Product Meal, Ground Whole Grain Sorghum, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Beet Pulp, Chicken Meal, Chicken Flavor, Fish Oil (preserved with mixed Tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Dried Egg Product, Potassium Chloride, Brewers Dried Yeast, Salt, Caramel, Choline Chloride, Minerals (Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganous Oxide, Potassium Iodide, Cobalt Carbonate), Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Acetate, Calcium Pantothenate, Biotin, Thiamine Mononitrate (source of vitamin B1), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Riboflavin Supplement (source of vitamin B2), Inositol, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (source of vitamin B6), Vitamin D3 Supplement, Folic Acid), Calcium Carbonate, DL-Methionine, Rosemary Extract.

When you look at the food the first 5 ingredients make up 90% so thats what you want look at. #2 and #4 are corn/grain ...tthis makes up a big part of your food .... dogs can't digust corn well and its a filler ...no real nutritional value really.... plus if you dogs HAS a grain allergy he will be affected by corn as well. Plus chicken-by-products ... that means this is what was labled as "inconsumable for humans" this could be sick animals ...this could be anything. Not trying to knock you or make you feel bad ... most people don't know .... and IAMS certainly doesn't tell you in all those cute little ads you see on tv :) Anywayz .... Chicken soup ingredient list

Chicken, turkey, chicken meal, ocean fish meal, cracked pearled barley, whole grain brown rice, white rice, oatmeal, millet, potatoes, egg product, tomato pomace, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), duck, salmon, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, salmon oil (source of DHA), choline chloride, dried chicory root, kelp, carrots, peas, apples, tomatoes, blueberries, spinach, dried skim milk, cranberry powder, rosemary extract, parsley flake, yucca schidigera extract, L-carnitine, Enterococcus faecieum, Lactobacillus casei, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Saccharomyces cerevesiae fermentation solubles, dried Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, vitamin E Supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

and this is the same price ...if not cheaper than IAMS as well. You can try switching for like 2 weeks ... one $8 bag worth ...and see if it helps. Good luck to you and you pooch :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Please don't feed your dog IAMS! Thats the worst thing a pet owner can do!
http://www.iamscruelty.com/ They do the worst kind of experiments with horrible results. By-Products are really really bad. I'm giving my dog a brand called BLUE. Its all human products. Look at the ingredients the above poster put. All kinds of chemicals and by-products. Iams put a chemical to make your dog's coat shiny, but its not shiny at all. It makes the dogs coat shiny by greasing it pretty much. I recommend you to use another brands besides Iams and Purina! Just compare the ingredients!

All the good stuff in Blue Buffalo ! : )

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Rye, Whole Potatoes, Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Menhaden Fish Meal (natural source of DHA-Docosahexaneoic Acid), Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Natural Chicken Flavor, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Dried Egg, Blueberries, Cranberries, Flaxseed, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Alfalfa Meal, Kelp Meal, Taurine, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Turmeric, Garlic, Sunflower Oil (natural source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Herring Oil (natural source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Dried Chicory Root, Black Malted Barley, Oil of Rosemary, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin C, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Beta Carotene, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B5), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Folic Acid, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Dicalcium Phosphate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Potassium Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Potassium), Cobalt Proteinate (source of Chelated Cobalt), Dicalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Salt, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus subtilis, Bifidobacterium thermophilum, Bifidobacterium longum, Enterococcus faecium.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Your first step should be to the vets, for a thorough health check. You have purchased a dog from what I consider a "high risk" seller and there could be issues going on that you don't see or recognize, like ear mites, infections, etc. You can also give him a rinse at home, just water, to make sure that the seller did not leave any shampoo residue in his coat causing the itching. You do NOT have to get his coat cut off...as long as you are brushing AND combing a few times a week to ensure he doesn't get matted. If he becomes matted, then he will have to be trimmed short.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts