Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

Apologies if I've managed to post this in the wrong forum.

A week ago my housemate and I brought home Sadie, a Maltese cross. We introduced her to Dexter, our 6 month old Lab on Day One, however they still don't get along any better than they did on the first day. Dexter is very rough and bites Sadie, Sadie is mostly afraid and usually goes to the closest corner to hide. Once she gets sick of Dexter's antics she snaps and gets quite aggressive. I've got Sadie starting Puppy School in 2 weeks so hopefully she'll grow more confident around dogs. Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks! x

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I'd keep the dogs separate unless they were under very close supervision. It is no wonder that Sadie is afraid of Dexter - that sounds rational of her to me.

Aidan was very afraid of the large puppies at obedience class. I put him in dog daycare so he would get socialized with other dogs and overcome his fear of them. He is around the large dogs there when they are inside, milling around. These dogs are very well behaved and trained, and are not rambunctious when they are inside unless they are in the play room.

Outside, Aidan plays with puppies that are his size or smaller. The big dogs are too rambunctious for him, and everyone (trainer and daycare personnel) agrees with me that playing with large dogs is not a good idea for him. Aidan likes to watch them play from the safety of my lap.

That said, it took only a few weeks for him to become comfortable around the large dogs when they are inside. His favorite is a St. Bernard who is inactive inside, and is a bundle of playful energy outside. He lets Aidan drink from the water dish with him, sniff him all over, walk under him instead of around him, and lie down under him (the St. B. is standing). You could have knocked me over with a feather when I first witnessed this because Aidan nearly turned inside out in his eagerness to get away when he first saw the St. B.

Now, when we go to dog school, my biggest problem is that Aidan wants to play with the other dogs there, no matter what size they are, in class. These are large, untrained puppies. The trainer and I do not let Aidan play with them after class because they get very rough with one another. There, Aidan socializes with an older, calm, very large mixed breed dog who looks like an all black Rough Collie except for his head, which looks like it belongs on an Irish Wolfhound. I would let Aidan play with other dogs, but none in this class are small enough.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks RoughCollie. Just re-read my post and realised Dex sounds a bit viscious, his behaviour is all very playful, he just doesn't know his strength! Everything you suggested is pretty much what we've been doing already. Good to know we're on the right track - I guess it's just going to take some time!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
He sounds like a normal Lab puppy to me, not vicious. Aidan is willing to play with Lab puppies, even though they are much bigger than he, but when they start being active, he instantly becomes a spectator.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts