Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I brought a new puppy home Friday afternoon. I know it's only been a few days, but I have some questions.

1) Since he has been home, he has pooped outside twice and has yet to pee outside. when he does poop, we praise as he goes, give him a treat and praise after. We have caught all of his pee's inside during the act. As soon as we see it, we pick him up and run him outside to his spot. I don't think he ever went outside before we brough him home so he doesn't know to do so. Any suggestions? We really want him to go outside, no paper training if it can be avoided.

2) He HATES his crate. It is in the dining room and he screams and cries the minute he get in. He has spent most of the the past 3 nights barking and crying. I put his toys in, there is a ticking clock, hot water bottle and towel. The minute he gets out in the morning, ll he wants to do is snuggle up and fall asleep. This is not the schedule we want him on. Is it a good idea to put the crate in our room so he knows we are there? We want his crate to be a positive place for him to be. He has also pooped 3 times in there. This of course is because I can't get him to go outside.

3) He is also not eating or drinking hardly at all. He will take a few bites of food and maybe a few laps of water and that's it. I am feeding him what the place I got him from was feeding him.

Everyone I have talked to said all of these things will get better and I know I've only had him a few days. Any thoughts, though to get him on the right path?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
My husband and I brought a new puppy home Friday afternoon. I know it's only been a few days, but I have some questions.

1) Since he has been home, he has pooped outside twice and has yet to pee outside. when he does poop, we praise as he goes, give him a treat and praise after. We have caught all of his pee's inside during the act. As soon as we see it, we pick him up and run him outside to his spot. I don't think he ever went outside before we brough him home so he doesn't know to do so. Any suggestions? We really want him to go outside, no paper training if it can be avoided.
Be patient! It's only been a few days. Housebreaking takes weeks, and can often take months. You're on the right track, so just keep going. Don't forget to deliver copious amounts of praise and enthusiasm when he finishes peeing outside. Use enzymatic cleaners like Nature's Miracle to wipe up the pee spots indoors -- that prevents him from re-visiting them.

2) He HATES his crate. It is in the dining room and he screams and cries the minute he get in. He has spent most of the the past 3 nights barking and crying. I put his toys in, there is a ticking clock, hot water bottle and towel. The minute he gets out in the morning, ll he wants to do is snuggle up and fall asleep. This is not the schedule we want him on. Is it a good idea to put the crate in our room so he knows we are there? We want his crate to be a positive place for him to be. He has also pooped 3 times in there. This of course is because I can't get him to go outside.
This is pretty common. Yes, it does help to put the crate in your room so he can see, smell and hear you. Sometimes putting a towel over the crate can soothe a puppy, too. You can continue to associate the crate with positive things through crate games, feeding him in his crate, leaving it open while you supervise and praising him for going in on his own accord...and so on. Try to ignore the crying for now, if you can... and don't forget to take him out in the night.

As for the wacky schedule, try to tire him out before bedtime by going on a short walk or playing some games indoors, like fetch. He should be tuckered out after that. If he's still sleepy in the morning and throughout the day, don't be too alarmed. Puppies sleep a LOT. Trust me, when he hits 7 or 8 months of age you'll be wishing he spent more time asleep!

3) He is also not eating or drinking hardly at all. He will take a few bites of food and maybe a few laps of water and that's it. I am feeding him what the place I got him from was feeding him.
No worries. It's not at all uncommon for puppies to go off their food a little after a change in environment. It can be stress, excitement or a combination of both. What you do is just put the food down for him for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, take it back up, even if he hasn't finished it. Put it down again a couple of hours later. Do not leave the food down all day; this messes up housetraining and can cause training complications. Put the food down 5 times a day, for 15 minutes at a time, and keep taking it up when he doesn't eat. He knows that food is available to him and when he is ready to eat, he will.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Our dog hated the crate, too, when we first got her. And NONE of the tricks (putting it in our room, a blanket, toys, games, etc.) worked. So, we eased up on the crate training, focused on getting her out throughout the day, made a room that was safe for her when we were working/out, and at about 4 months, tried the crate again and now she is a happy crate-trained dog. (I still don't think she prefers the crate, but she goes in when we go out and falls asleep til we get home)

Point is, do what feels right for you and the puppy. Just because everything isn't happening in the first days/weeks, doesn't mean it won't happen eventually.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You didn't mention how old your puppy is.

All I can tell you that it takes time. Puppies are not instantaneously trained. You have to train it.

My concern is that you may not have the right size crate for your puppy. Puppies in general should not pee/poop in their "den".

I got a 4 or 5 month old puppy a month ago (she's about 5 or 6 months now) after a couple weeks of training, I think she got it down since it has been 1 1/2 weeks since her last pee pee accidents.

Be prepared for accidents. It happens.

As for the crate - I'm not sure what to do about this, but I wonder if the size is too big.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
If a puppy is soiling his crate, it is because of one of three reasons.

a) The puppy is from a pet store. Puppies in pet stores are often forced to live in cramped quarters throughout the day and have to pee and poop in their cages or pens when they absolutely can't hold it anymore. This breaks their instinct to keep their sleeping area clean, and when they reach their homes and are crated, they don't care about not pooping in the crate anymore.

b) The crate is too large and the pup can poop in one area and sleep in another.

c) The pup is being left in there for too long.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Try something with your scent on it.
Maybe a towel, or old shirt.
I had to wash my dogs towel in his crate, and he stop going in.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was thinking also that the crate might be too large. You don't want to crame the dog in the crate, but it should be small enough to where any elimination would interfere with their sleeping habit. I rigged a piece of cardboard in the crate to make it smaller for my pup and just removed it last week since she's growing right before our eyes.

When I crate trained our 4 month old pup I made it as absolutely enjoyable as possible. Once she wasn't afraid of it (I dropped treats in from the top of the crate while continually singing her praises) I would close the door while she was licking peanut butter off the back of the crate. Then I just laid by the crate right next to her while giving her treats and praising her. The door opened and we would go through that 10 minutes later. Eventually I would leave for 1 minute, then return and, without fanfare, let her out. Then I would increase that time to 2 to 3, to 4 minutes and so on. She needs to know you'll return.

Also, if she's not sleeping, keep her own room until she is calm enough to sleep in the crate. I gradually moved the crate farther and farther from our bed each night once she was sleeping and soon she never noticed we were gone.

It can be laborious but it pays off. I never wanted something so bad in my life as a dog and the day after we got her I was so overwhelmed I had thoughts of returning her. I actually had anxiety about it. That of course was irrational thinking and we've stuck it out for the last 4 weeks and its gotten 1,000 times better. I wouldn't have it any other way now.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Using the bathroom inside is very common is just takes a lot of patience and consistency, it sound like you are doing the right thing by catching him in the act and correcting the problem right then and there. Its gonna take time just hand in there and remember when you correct your dog never act out of frustration remain calm!

About the eating, first you must get the puppy on a schedule. Get into a routine it will make life easier. Also the puppy might not feel comfortable yet therefor you must build trust. Remember everything is new to him you must make him feel comfortable and establish your self as the "pack leader". Also try different foods he might not like the food you are giving him but keep in mind changing his diet too much might make him sick to his stomach.

Hope this helps and remember be patient, good luck!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts