Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I adopted a dachshund/chihuahua mix a week ago; he is now around 15 weeks old. I have a few questions:

Should I let my puppy sleep so much during the day? He seems to want to lay on my lap for a majority of the day and just sleep, but I'm worried that if he sleeps too much during the day then he won't sleep at night. Should I let him sleep during the day, or should I prompt him to play more and be on his own? Of course, him wanting to sleep helps me, since then I don't have to worry about him going off and going potty on the floor, but then again, this may be detrimental to his nighttime sleeping, right?

Also, is he too young for me to be able to fully house train him? My vet said today that I shouldn't expect him to be able to be fully house trained until he is at least 5 months old.

How often should I be taking him outside? Every hour? Every two hours?

What do I do until he is old enough?

The only times he's had an accident is when we've waited too long to take him out. We go through the same door every time to the backyard. However, when will he learn to ask me to go out, rather than me just having to remember to take him out? Because it's been about a week of the training, and still, if I don't take him out soon enough, he'll just sniff around inside for a spot and go there.

Also, should I give my puppy treats while house breaking?
Whenever I take him out and he pees/poops, I praise him and give him a little treat. However, I'm not going to give him a treat every single time he goes out when he is eventually house trained. But, while house training, should I continue with the treats, or is praise enough? Also, I'm worried that if I take away the treats then the praise alone won't be as effective, and he'll be wondering where the treats have gone.

Also, is he old enough to make it 6/7 hours through the night? Last night I took him out for a pee at 10 pm, then woke up at 5 am and brought him out for a pee/poo, and he hadn't gone in his crate. That was the first time I hadn't gotten up with him during the night. Was I just lucky, or is he now old enough to hold it through the night without needing a break?

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
I have a 15 week old doxie/??? mix that I've had for 7 weeks. Granted, this is the only dog I've ever had, but I'll answer based on my experience thus far...

Should I let my puppy sleep so much during the day? He seems to want to lay on my lap for a majority of the day and just sleep, but I'm worried that if he sleeps too much during the day then he won't sleep at night. Should I let him sleep during the day, or should I prompt him to play more and be on his own? Of course, him wanting to sleep helps me, since then I don't have to worry about him going off and going potty on the floor, but then again, this may be detrimental to his nighttime sleeping, right?
Hamilton gets up around 6:45, goes out to potty, has breakfast, plays a while, and by 8 he is ready for a nap and snoozes for about a half an hour. I used to try to force him to run around more, but he just wants to sleep... on me, so I let him. Between 8:30 and 9, I go to work, and I have no idea what happens between then and when my husband gets home to take him out at lunch time. I get home around 4:30 and he's out until 10 pm. If he does not sleep for an hour or so in that time, he is an absolute beast to be around. He has no problem going to bed at night and staying quiet/sleeping through the night.

Also, is he too young for me to be able to fully house train him? My vet said today that I shouldn't expect him to be able to be fully house trained until he is at least 5 months old.
We average 2 accidents a week. I have no idea when he'll actually be house trained.

How often should I be taking him outside? Every hour? Every two hours?
We generally take him out about every hour, though we don't wake him to go out. We also are better at reading him now that we "know" him better. He's a busy guy, and when he seems to be wandering a bit we figure it's a good idea to go out!

What do I do until he is old enough?
To be house broken? In our house, unless he JUST peed and pooped, someone has to be within grabbing distance of Hamilton at all times.

The only times he's had an accident is when we've waited too long to take him out. We go through the same door every time to the backyard. However, when will he learn to ask me to go out, rather than me just having to remember to take him out? Because it's been about a week of the training, and still, if I don't take him out soon enough, he'll just sniff around inside for a spot and go there.
We have a bell we trained Hamilton to ring. He knows what it's for (because he uses it when he wants out of his gate -- like when we're eating dinner), and reliably rings it when he needs to poop. As I understand it, he doesn't have a lot of bladder awareness yet to know when he needs to pee. He's just now starting to ring it for pee too, though not consistently. If you see him sniffing around, grab him and run for the door!

Also, should I give my puppy treats while house breaking?
Whenever I take him out and he pees/poops, I praise him and give him a little treat. However, I'm not going to give him a treat every single time he goes out when he is eventually house trained. But, while house training, should I continue with the treats, or is praise enough? Also, I'm worried that if I take away the treats then the praise alone won't be as effective, and he'll be wondering where the treats have gone.
Hamilton is very responsive to praise, and we've never really given him food rewards for potty. It just distracts him outside. Just like getting away with something once makes a dog/child think try to get away with it over and over, intermittent rewards work the same way.

Also, is he old enough to make it 6/7 hours through the night? Last night I took him out for a pee at 10 pm, then woke up at 5 am and brought him out for a pee/poo, and he hadn't gone in his crate. That was the first time I hadn't gotten up with him during the night. Was I just lucky, or is he now old enough to hold it through the night without needing a break?
Hamilton has been able to go 8-9 hrs overnight for several weeks. We always had his crate open and in a pen with a weewee pad on the other side of the pen, and after a while he just stopped using it. Then he started shredding it. Then we took it away all together, and it's been fine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts