Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone :wave:

Me and my husband brought home a new little boy called Ralphie (chihuahua & yorkie mix) who is now 9 weeks old. He is very adorable, healthy and has a happy, playful disposition.

The first two weeks we had him sleep in our bedroom (in his crate) and I would wake up every two hours to take him out to the pad to pee.

After about two weeks, we had to move him to sleep in the living room (just outside our bedroom) because he wouldn't stop whining and my husband really needed his sleep because of his job. Ralphie seems to be adjusting well to sleeping in his crate in the living room at night because he doesn't whine anymore when he's put in there for bedtime.
He sleeps around midnight (he sleeps periodically throughout the day too) and I wake him up at 3am and 6am to pee. 7am he has his first meal. As you can guess, I've had little to no sleep!

The problem is his crying/whining. I wake up again at about 9-10am and take him out to pee/poop but he doesn't stop whining or crying after that. He also whines even if I just pop to the bathroom.

So, my guesses are that he constantly needs to be by my side and it's becoming a little problematic because he whines and cries more frequently.

I understand that he's become very attached to me. I work from home and I spend everyday with him- he's never abandoned. I play with him as much as I can. He does go and play on his own now and then (when I'm doing my own thing) but majority of the time he's always following me. If I leave his sight, he cries. I have tried to put him in his crate and in another room until he stops whining, I've tried ignoring his whining... I've tried many things that friends have suggested... but not any of them have shown any vast improvement.

When I'm doing chores around the house (cleaning and things where I can't really watch him) I've also had him in his crate where he can still see/hear me- though he hardly whines when I do this.

He will get his next set of shots on Tuesday and then I will be able to take him for walks outside. Not sure if that will help his whining but just a little more info for you guys so you know!

Another question I have is if he will ever grow out of this phase. I want to know what I could do to let him know that it's okay, I'm always there for him but he also needs to learn to be on his own sometimes. I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some suggestions on what I could do.

Thank you so much for your time in reading this and I'm so grateful to be able to hear from you. Hope you all have a great weekend!

Emyli.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If he whines, do not give him any attention even if it's negative attention. Say no once and then ignore him. Only give him attention when hes being good. If you're consistent, he will eventually stop. I did this with my puppy and he got it in about 2 weeks. Most puppies will be less attached as they get older and won't need to be at your feet all the time.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I don't have much to offer you, but he sounds like my 9 week old chi x lhasa puppy.. lol must be a Chihuahua thing! But you have to ignore it, not even eye contact. It's tough for me because we live in an apartment complex, and i can't have her whining all night

Ooo Ooo, can we see pictures too??

·
Registered
332 Posts
The stuffed kong is a godsend. My pup gets a 7 AM bathroom break but I like to sleep in later than that. So in order to allow me to sleep another 2 hours, I take her puppy kong, fill it with kibble, then squeeze the chicken flavor stuff in to hold the kibble in the kong. (My pup doesn't like peanut butter, but if yours does, use peanut butter.) This will keep her occupied because she has to work to get the treat out of the toy. You can freeze the kong with treat and it takes even longer to get it out. I've also seen suggestions for putting a ticking clock or radio next to the crate so he's not "alone."

However you must not let him out if he's whining. (There are exceptions, pup's been quiet all night and suddenly whines at 4 AM, I know she's gotta go potty, but its outside, do the business, back in the crate.) Wait for a break in the whining say 30 secs of silence, then let him out. He's training you that if he whines, you'll let him out of the crate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow thank you so much for all the feedback it was so nice to hear from you all!! I'm going to start being more consistent and ignore him when he's whining to get my attention. I'll also buy him a Kong to keep him entertained! Thank you again and anymore suggestions are welcome!!

Pappymom here is a photo of Ralphie at 7 weeks. :)

Sorry it's a bit big I couldn't resize it!

·
Registered
17,919 Posts
The other thing I would suggest is to periodically crate him for short periods during the day. I am also at home all the time, but because I know that that may change -either because he needs to stay at the vet, or simple *life* getting in the way once the kids are at school, travel, etc. - I need Jack to stay comfortable in his crate. He is an adult dog (very adult - he's 5.5 years), but I have him go in. Sometimes I leave him there for five minutes, sometimes an hour or so. He always gets a treat when he goes in, and I encourage him to nap there even when the door is open.

The crate needs to be, even if not used as a training tool, a comfortable place for them. IMO, anyway.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I would try NOT waking him up in the night to take him out. Wait until he asks you to take him out........... he just may surprise you and sleep all night!~ That is what our pup did............oh......heavenly sleep! Good luck! Things get better.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Oh my gosh, he is so cute! It's tough when they are so irresistable! Wish you lived closer, our pups seem so similar they'd probably get along well!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Give him appropriate things to chew on to keep him occupied, like bullie sticks, cow ears, pig ears, kong toys and chews. Dogs love to chew to relax. I see a lot of people on this forum posting about problems that would easily be fixed with the approprite chew and lots of exercise, like walking. Does your pup get outside to walk and explore? He needs different types of stimulation. Do not hold, kiss and play with him too much because just like a child you can overstimulate him and spoil him and that isn't good until after he's fully trained.

·
Registered
703 Posts
+1 on the exercise (physical and mental) and chewing. I just read on Susan Garret's blog that she now recommends up until 12 weeks only playing with your puppy and not try to do too much intense training. (of course, playing can be training)

I also worked am home FT and it was recommended to me to have an hour a day where my puppies did not see me, even though I was there, so they would be comfortable when they had to be alone.

Ian Dunbar has 2 free downloadable books at Dog Start Daily. They are fabulous first-time dog owner books.

It also sounds like you got him very young- maybe at 4 weeks old? It's hard for me to tell from your accounting of dates exactly, but it's my understanding puppies do best if they are with their dam and litter-mates until 8 weeks. This could be contributing to these problems now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys thank you for the helpful feedbacks!
Just to give you a few responses:

CptJack
- I actually do crate him periodically for short periods during the day. He isn't afraid of being in the crate but more of when he doesn't see me. So, I've started to put him in another room, in his crate, for at least an hour everyday. He does cry at first, for a few minutes but then he stops.

Precious Puppy
- I was advised by our veterinarian that we shouldn't take him out for a walk until his last set of shots (in about 2 weeks, when he is 12 weeks old.) For now, he stays at home with me and goes out into our patio to play too.

Once he has had his shots I am definitely taking him out more for walks and to socialize with other friends and pets! We have a really nice private park and a dog club in the community. I'm really looking forward to doing this because I think one of the main reasons why he has become so attached to me is because I do smother him with a lot of love, hugs and kisses (it's hard not to.. he's just too adorable!!) Plus, I work at home full-time so he's constantly around me. However, I'll try to distant myself from him a little more from now. :)

titiaamor
- I actually took him in a little over 7 weeks. I agree it was probably a week too early but bless my husband trying to surprise me before my birthday! I have had puppies before which were easier to train but not like this little one.. I guess he seems to really need a little more special attention and more of my time which luckily, I have time to give.

Thank you all! Please keep ideas coming in as I'm willing to try anything at this point!
I'll keep you guys updated with Ralphie's progress!

·
Registered
9 Posts
My dog was like this as a puppy. He eventually grew out of it. With some training and time he will probably stop. At night give him some rawhide chews, like the others here mentioned. Mine is now seven years old but still enjoys chewing for a while before going to bed. It helps keep him from being restless at night. Also whats his favorite spot in your living room. Is it by a window? more towards your room? Put his bed or crate in that spot.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts