Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are having a tough time with our new golden retriever puppy. We think she is 3-4 months old. It appears she didn’t come from a good home before. If ever left in a crate or even playpen, as soon as she feels confined or left, she POOPS. It appears that she knows to do it to get out. Even if she has just gone outside, the moment she is confined, she makes herself poops. And then we HAVE to get her out to clean her. So it reinforces her tactic to get out.
In addtion to this, she likes to pee on our couch. This I feel can be corrected through typical potty training methods of telling her that’s an unwanted behavior and positive reinforcing her outside potties.
But with being unable to confine her or crate her… I just don’t know what to do! I am unable to leave her at all.
HELP!

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
Don't EVER use anything negative when you catch a puppy peeing on the couch or other unwanted place. Interrupt and get her out. Reward for finishing outside. Meanwhile block access to the couch (baby gates are your friend). Clean the couch thoroughly with an enzymatic cleaner though once pee has soaked into a cushion that couch is likely all done.

Clean the crate with an enzymatic cleaner to remove odors.

As to the crate problem try feeding her in the crate and immediately taking her out when she's done.

How big is the crate? It should only be big enough for her to stand up in and turn around in. If it is too large it invites pooping etc. in it. What kind of crate is it? Plastic den like crates are superior to wire crates.

After she poops in the crate and you clean it up, do you put her back in the crate? How much time is she in the crate?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts