Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have just gotten my first puppy 2 weeks ago. She is a beautiful white Siberian Husky with ice blue eyes and a great personality. I grew up with dogs but am excited to officially have my own!

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Not to be the downer but...
Have you done plenty of research on the Husky?

This was my Aleu. She was beautiful, smart, and super talkative.
And she made my life a living hell for 8 long years.

You may have done a ton of research and are ready for the breed, but you may not be. If you haven't eaten, drank, and slept husky research, please fall in on it now. If they are not taken care of properly, they will destroy your home, your yard, and your life Lol. They shed like maniacs too, you will eat dog hair. They're loud, highly prey driven, highly intelligent, and highly active.

Just stepping in as that neon sign to help you and your pup.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Her name is Murphy and she is 9.5 weeks old.

And Hollow, thanks for the words of encouragement :p. I have done a lot of research. Luckily I've wanted a Husky for about 4 years now so I have heard both horror stories and great stories. Part of the reason I really wanted to get her as a puppy was hopefully to shape some of those worrisome characteristics! I've brushed her every day since I got her so she is already becoming accustomed to the furminator. My main focus on training has been the whole "pay attention to me" thing. I know she's young and all puppies do this to some degree, but she knows her name and looks me right in the eye whenever I say look at me even when she is outside chasing bugs. As for the noise, I haven't quite figured this one out yet...It was rough the first couple of nights as she howled and cried whenever I tried to crate her. This has improved greatly and she doesn't really cry when she goes into the crate the first time (though if she has to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, the re-crating is a bit harder). She also was howling when I would leave her during the day but now she is not doing that as far as I can tell so there's improvements but she does still make a fair bit of noise. As for chewing, yes...for me it will be the carpet. She loves getting into that carpet... As for the activity...mine seems to be very lazy so far though I'm looking forward to her getting more active. Right now she looks at me like I'm crazy when I throw a ball and she realizes I want her to go get it. But I wanted a four-legged running partner for my daily runs so hopefully that will combat some of the activity concerns!

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Good to hear that you've done research :)
A lot of people do come here wanting to know why their husky is eating their curtains while sacrificing their cat to the dark lord.

My first instinct whenever someone says they want one is to stand and shout NOOOOOO from the mountain tops because most people do not put that much thought into it.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Good to hear that you've done research :)
A lot of people do come here wanting to know why their husky is eating their curtains while sacrificing their cat to the dark lord.

My first instinct whenever someone says they want one is to stand and shout NOOOOOO from the mountain tops because most people do not put that much thought into it.
Same here. Whenever I see "first time puppy owner" followed with the breeds "Husky" or "GSD", I cringe. Those are breeds that people tend to purchase for purely aesthetic purposes without considering the lifestyle required to maintain that type of energy level and drive.

But that being said, it sounds like OP has done her research and is prepared for the road ahead! Very refreshing to see someone who has done the reading and made an informed decision! Would love to see some photos of your puppy, she sounds beautiful :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts