Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family and I welcomed a new member to the family, a 9 week old female American Eskimo puppy which we named Fluffy.
I have:
- Playpen
- Carrier Crate
- Bowls
- Diaper
- Pee Pads
- Milk Bone treats
- Some towels from her breeder
- A box of greenies
- A couple of toys (6 squeaky toys,2 puppy tennis balls, 3 stuff animals, 2 ropes in knots, a kong with a treat in it)
- 2 leashes
- 1 brush
- 1 Clicker for training

I also use carrots for treats from time to time. (Gave her a small slice of apple today)

She's had most of her shots already and the next is scheduled on 5/11 according to the breeder but I'm planning to take her to a vet for a check up at the very least.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Anything I'm missing or product recommendations?

·
Registered
20,765 Posts
I'm not at all sure why you'd need the diaper---they're usually for incontinent dogs or females in heat, not for housetraining. And you may want to skip the puppy pads, too, if you're planning on teaching her to go outside (oh, they're good to line the crate with or put under the water bowl or other usages like that, but if you teach her that it's OK to go potty inside don't be surprised if she always does). Be careful with the Greenies--some dogs chew off big chunks that can't digest well and get blocked. I assume you have food, too, even though it's not on the list :p. Kongs are good. . .you can stuff it with something delicious and then freeze it to make it last longer. If she turns out to be a chewer some Bitter Apple might be a good idea.

She's a cutie! Have fun with her.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
If you are going the standard vaccination route, she isn't halfway done with her shots yet. She'll need two more distempers, probably, and her Rabies, plus the optional bordatella, lyme, and lepto vaccines (do your research to see if you want her to have those). Definitely take her to the vet ASAP to get her checked over and get her vaccine schedule. You may also want to have her microchipped.

Make sure you get her tags with your info on it in case she gets loose. I'd get the largest bottle of Nature's Miracle you can find.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
So beautiful!
Puppy shampoo? Some pet wipes for a quick freshening up? You might try some soft, moist treats, instead of just biscuit type.

·
Registered
5,406 Posts
Normally, I wouldn't go for the name 'Fluffy' but since that's the word I screamed when I saw this picture, you're forgiven xD
She's sooooooooooooooooooooofluffyandfuzzywuzzy.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Frozen things for teething ... a brutal reality I came to know and was NOT prepared. I used a frozen washcloth soaked in chicken broth... I have 2 now one for chewing one for washing/refreezing.

I must add OMG SHE IS SO ADORABLE that face SCREAMS love me!!! Congratulations !

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm not at all sure why you'd need the diaper---they're usually for incontinent dogs or females in heat, not for housetraining. And you may want to skip the puppy pads, too, if you're planning on teaching her to go outside (oh, they're good to line the crate with or put under the water bowl or other usages like that, but if you teach her that it's OK to go potty inside don't be surprised if she always does). Be careful with the Greenies--some dogs chew off big chunks that can't digest well and get blocked. I assume you have food, too, even though it's not on the list :p. Kongs are good. . .you can stuff it with something delicious and then freeze it to make it last longer. If she turns out to be a chewer some Bitter Apple might be a good idea.

She's a cutie! Have fun with her.
Since you put it that way, it does sound unnecessary. And at the same time, training her to go potty outside is much easier than I thought. I use the puppy pads in her play pen in case and around her crate. Yes I have food too, silly of me to not put it on the list. I'll be more careful with the greenies thanks.
Thanks for all the great advice!

My family and I are having tons of fun with her. She's been a joy so far except for the crate training. I didn't expect it to be this hard but I'm hanging in there despite the loss of sleep.

If you are going the standard vaccination route, she isn't halfway done with her shots yet. She'll need two more distempers, probably, and her Rabies, plus the optional bordatella, lyme, and lepto vaccines (do your research to see if you want her to have those). Definitely take her to the vet ASAP to get her checked over and get her vaccine schedule. You may also want to have her microchipped.

Make sure you get her tags with your info on it in case she gets loose. I'd get the largest bottle of Nature's Miracle you can find.
Thanks, I found a vet in my neighborhood and I'm going to give them a try. I bought a bottle of simple solution stain/odor removal.

So beautiful!
Puppy shampoo? Some pet wipes for a quick freshening up? You might try some soft, moist treats, instead of just biscuit type.
Haha thanks. The breeder gave her a few days before we got her so getting shampoo slipped my mind.

Wonderful little polar bear!

Start training yesterday :)

Free downloads: http://www.dogstardaily.com/free-downloads
I started crate training, teaching her to potty outside, and sit as soon as i got her.

Normally, I wouldn't go for the name 'Fluffy' but since that's the word I screamed when I saw this picture, you're forgiven xD
She's sooooooooooooooooooooofluffyandfuzzywuzzy.
Thanks xD

Frozen things for teething ... a brutal reality I came to know and was NOT prepared. I used a frozen washcloth soaked in chicken broth... I have 2 now one for chewing one for washing/refreezing.

I must add OMG SHE IS SO ADORABLE that face SCREAMS love me!!! Congratulations !
Yea, I'm just having trouble what kind of chew toys/food to get her that is safe and wouldn't cause her to choke on it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts