Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there! My name is En and my boyfriend and I just adopted a new miniature pinscher puppy at 4 weeks old yesterday! Before everyone chews me up for adopting a 4 week old puppy, (I know that puppies should be at least 8 weeks old before they are separated from their mothers) the owner said that he was 10 weeks old and at the time, I had no concept of what a 10 week old puppy looked like. I considered taking him back for a couple more weeks but I figured an owner who was willing to sell a puppy at 4 weeks probably wouldn't be a great resource. When we went to a dog trainer, she confirmed that he was really only around 4-5 weeks old.

I've done quite a bit of research myself on these dogs and how to train them but I still have a lot of questions, as I am an unexperienced dog owner!
On the bright side, because the puppy is so young, I'm determined to train him to be a well-behaved, respectful dog. :)

I'm excited to participate in these forums and hear about other people's success stories and horror stories as well! :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you bottle feeding the pup?
Very sad that the seller would have such little regard for the puppy's welfare as to sell it way too early.
Be careful though- in my experience, when animals are taken from the parents too young and cared for by humans, they develop an attitude like you wouldn't believe!
My mom and I found a very young abandoned kitten once and bottle fed him ect... Even though we both fed/cared for him, he saw my mom as his mom (she spoiled him rotten!) and me as a litter mate and would attack me every chance he got!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Yeah, we've had a few members post a picture of a 4-6 week old puppy they were told was 8-12 weeks old. People suck.

I would suggest you go to dogstardaily.com and download the before and after getting your puppy book. A puppy separated from its litter and mother that young will need some extra socialization, and that book explains socialization really well. You have to register, but it is free.

You don't have to bottle feed a 4 week old pup, they wean right around then. You may have to soften the food for them, but I'm sure he'll be fine with a good quality puppy food.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi there!! Thank you so much for replying :)) I am not bottle feeding the pup because the original owner said that he had weaned him off already and was eating solid food. Of course, I went with Petco's suggestion and fed him formula out of a little bowl. Should I be bottle feeding him?
Yeah I know, it's funny because the owner said he has had dogs his whole life but then again, he also says he can't take his minpin out in public because she barks at literally everything and everyone. He has to go to the park at like 2am when no one is there for her to play and run around...
Anyways, thanks for the heads up! I'm trying to get him into a puppy school once he is old enough and has his vaccinations so that he will be able to socialize and not have those territorial tendencies. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ahh thank you so much! I'm downloading that book ASAP. haha
I actually have a couple more questions but I'll give you the whole story of the 3 days that I've had him haha

At the pet store, I bought puppy pads, a small kong toy, puppy floss, and puppy formula. When I brought him home, his demeanor was quiet and calm (I’m guessing he was just really sleepy). I folded up a thick blanket and set him on the thick blanket for him to sleep when I got back and set it on the bed (big mistake). After about a day or so, he seemed pretty well adjusted. He slept on the couch in our room the first night and was okay. Yesterday, I went out to Target to buy him a puppy crate (x-small, 10 lbs max) and he hated it. I put him in the crate and he threw a temper tantrum in there for so long until he fell asleep. I should have congratulated him when he was quiet, but he woke up before I could do so and resumed crying. It was getting pretty loud and it was pretty late at night. I live on the bottom floor of a 3 story house so I was afraid that his crying would disturb my neighbors. Unfortunately, (and I know this sets up bad habits) I had to take him out of the crate because he was so loud. I tried setting up the thick blanket on the ground next to my bed and blocking it off but he still just would not stop crying until I lifted him up on to my bed. I have read that minpins are notorious for being strong willed and aggressive if not trained properly while still young, so I didn’t want the pup to be sleeping with us on the bed. I tried putting him back into the blanket on the ground after he fell asleep but he would always wake up immediately and start crying. By now, I know he understands that if he doesn’t like his situation, he can whine to get my attention and get what he wants.

He also cries whenever I leave the room and he is awake. The only time he doesn’t cry is when I or my boyfriend is with him or when he is asleep. It almost seems like he has separation anxiety.

I’m not really sure what to do... :/

Oh also I should throw in a picture of him! haha

·
Registered
9 Posts
I worked at a outsmart and there were people selling 2 week old pups in the parking lot of a store next door. We didn't realize until people came in with a puppy and then we called authorities. It is sad when people do that, but it looks like the puppy will be in great hands. Good luck! Min pins are super smart!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Someone who knows more can probably correct me, but one of those heartbeat stuffed animals they use for babies might help. This little he is used to having siblings around! Not to mention mom.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dang... What ended up happening? I actually did a project on puppy mills and its just pitiful how unregulated puppy breeding is. :/
but thank you! Im trying my best haha
I'll definitely look into the heartbeat stuffed animals, thats a great idea :)

·
Registered
7,262 Posts
Welcome to Dog Forums and congrats on your new pup! What is there to say about the "breeder" except people suck? Sounds like the pup is in good hands with you.

You've mentioned talking to a trainer and sales associate at PetSmart - have you taken the pup to a vet? S/He would be best able to advise you on caring for him.

I'd like address a few things you mentioned in your second post:

I have read that minpins are notorious for being strong willed and aggressive if not trained properly while still young, so I didn’t want the pup to be sleeping with us on the bed.
I'm not too familiar with minpins, but there are some important things to remember.

- You have a baby, baby puppy who is going to cry when he feels vulnerable. I'm quite sure he hasn't learned that whining gets your attention. He's just been taken away from the safety and comfort of his mom, siblings, and the only surroundings he knew. He's going to cry and whine; there's no bigger meaning than he's a baby. I do agree that you want to start training early, but you also need to be aware of his developmental stage - you can't teach a 3-year-old to do needlepoint as they simply don't have the requisite fine motor skills. Same idea with a puppy.

- This page has information puppy development: Diamonds in the Ruff

- Socialization is critical for all puppies. Check out Sophia Yin's socialization checklist for a nice guideline for socializing. Her perfect puppy or how to behave book would be good resources as well.

- Some dogs are more independent and less biddable; that just means you need to be more creative with your training. Figure out what he really likes (most dogs are highly food motivated, but you may find something that works better). Use that to your advantage. Teach him what you want him to do, reinforce any naturally "good" behavior, prevent him from making mistakes. Dogs don't really get respect; they do what works to get what they want, so make desired behaviors pay off.

- Sleeping on your bed has nothing to do with your puppy being strong willed or aggressive. My dogs sleep on our bed and they are as biddable and sweet as dogs can be.

- Here's a great post on crate games and another on teaching bite inhibition.

Let us know how he's doing!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts