Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Mostly a lurker but I have a problem. I have a 7 year old toy poodle mix nutered male. He's about 8lbs. I just got a standard poodle (12 weeks old) who is very smart but he is pestering the toy to the point it's on everyones nerves...it's not all the time mainly a late at night or if we've been gone and he's been in the crate.. I think the standard wants to play but the toy will have none of it...any ideas how to fix this before. I have tried saying NO firmly, screaming, growling, clapping, none of it work so I end up putting the puppy outside and letting him run some of it out. I do walk him for about 10 minutes he is not tired out but he's still learning to walk on a leash. My husband has suggested keeping him leashed to me... TIA

·
Registered
4,423 Posts
Why do you want to discourage the puppy from playing with the older dog? I really don't understand the screaming and telling him NO.

·
Registered
5,615 Posts
Your older dog deserves not being too stressed out by the pup. It takes time for the pup to learn to leave him alone. Yelling etc is not going to help, it's just going to egg him on. He's EXCITED and full of beans. Start training him now with the basics (sit, down, leave it etc) in short five minute sessions several times a day and make sure he gets enough exercise BEFORE you let him attempt playing with the older dog. If the older guy gets stressed, put the pup in his crate or keep him on a leash (like your hubby suggested, smart guy that he is). Reward him for coming to you and for leaving the older guy alone. A new puppy is a PITA to an older dog and there is a big size difference between a toy or mini poodle adult and a 12 wk old standard puppy. Your pup needs other pups to play with..get thee to a puppy class or puppy playdate for his "manners" training.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Why do you want to discourage the puppy from playing with the older dog? I really don't understand the screaming and telling him NO.
It's the size...toy is 8lbs at the most and thew puppy is over 20lbs..

Your older dog deserves not being too stressed out by the pup. It takes time for the pup to learn to leave him alone. Yelling etc is not going to help, it's just going to egg him on. He's EXCITED and full of beans. Start training him now with the basics (sit, down, leave it etc) in short five minute sessions several times a day and make sure he gets enough exercise BEFORE you let him attempt playing with the older dog. If the older guy gets stressed, put the pup in his crate or keep him on a leash (like your hubby suggested, smart guy that he is). Reward him for coming to you and for leaving the older guy alone. A new puppy is a PITA to an older dog and there is a big size difference between a toy or mini poodle adult and a 12 wk old standard puppy. Your pup needs other pups to play with..get thee to a puppy class or puppy playdate for his "manners" training.
And I'll start puppy training next month I had a couple of trips that I had to get out of the way...
I tried the leash today and some treats to try and get him to leave the 'old man' alone. Pretty much the toy just wants to lay around he's past 'play time' he'll want to play fetch some but not like he used to when he was younger he's very happy being a lap dog and not ruff big puppy play. I think a couple more days of the leash and treats when he sits and settles will do it.
I am already walking the puppy he already knows most basic commands (working on settle) and learns really quick it's just a times for a moment he goes into complete brainlessness and starts bothering the toy...anyhoo after today I see some improvement. DH taught him rollover today and he was pretty please about it! (both dog and husband)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts