Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just got a new puppy 5 days ago.

I have two mutts that we rescued.... we also had to put down our 13 year old Golden Retriever in August.

When the Golden was about 7, we brought home a puppy and they got along like best buddies from the first minute.... then we added another dog, and it took 2 years for the Golden to grow to accept her. The other mutt loved her right away.

So, after the Golden was put down, we thought that the 2 current dogs would get along with the new puppy.... but no, they can't stand her. The puppy is a pretty nice dog.... I figure that eventually they will get along... but here is the crazy thing: since the puppy came into our house my ( our ) dogs act like they hate us..... they no longer come over to be petted. Often they won't even be in the same room with us. This is pretty strange for us. Both of these dogs were like Velcro dogs prior to the puppy, and now they barely come near us.

Anybody else have that issue?

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
This is a common thing and it will (most likely) pass with a little time. My dogs alway have a hard time adjusting to a new dog, but with the newest dog, one of my dogs in particular HATED him, and was pissed at me for bringing him home, lol. She was my shadow, but wanted nothing to do with me after I got another dog.

Make sure you spend time with them away from the puppy. Go for walks without the puppy. Make sure they can get away from the puppy when they want to, and never yell at them for correcting annoying puppy behavior. Don't let the puppy be a jerk to them. Whenever they are around the puppy and behave nicely (this may mean ignoring the puppy) praise them. Make being around the puppy a rewarding experience for them.

It will pass!

·
Registered
7,296 Posts
Normal. I had my first dog for a decade before adding a puppy. Brought the puppy home, and even with supervision (ex. puppy was not bugging my older dog at all) my older dog would either be more clingy than normal with us or just walk out of the room when the puppy was around. Now they're sleeping in the same room together.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts