Puppy Forum and Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted a Border Collie, 9 weeks old MAX, a week ago today. She had already been spayed. Before we left the shelter, they gave her a shot and Strongid for worms. That was her 2nd worming in 2 weeks.

She weighed around 9 lbs or less (in a cage with many siblings fighting over large pellet dry dog food). She's put on some weight and plays well.

Last week she ate a tiny tea light candle 0.3oz that was many years old and pooped it out in pieces about the size of peas or smaller. NO side effects. Vet said since it was so old, it had certainly lost its properties that might harm her. Again, NO side effects and she did not eat the wick, etc.

Sunday we found her in the wrong room and she had eaten a plate of moist cat food (Friskee's Seafood Pate). Within about 30 minutes, she had diarrhea. Yesterday she flattened herself down and scooted under the gate again and ate another plate of cat food. She's had an upset tummy since then but alternates with formed stool, soft ice cream looking stool and twice, diarrhea. The baseboard keeps us from getting it any lower so feeding cat in the bathroom on the counter!

The last diarrhea had one round worm in it. She's been wormed twice (at the shelter) with Strongid and is due to be wormed again on 9/22 and rabies right after that.

She eats and drinks well. Pee pees a lot. Drinks plenty and plays like crazy, attacking a 60 lb and a 120 lb dog without fear. We can no longer feel her ribs, which is a relief because I was very concerned with her weight when we got her.

Could the diarrhea be from the cat food, the wormer (9/8) bringing out the worms or something else? NO blood. NO mucus. NO pain or whimpering. NO lethargy.

One other thing, she picks thru her 4Health mixture of moist and dry food to eat the moist and only a tiny bit of dry. I think the moist food isn't helping! It's not Puppy food, just regular 4Health.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
ANY help appreciated!
The animal hospital has 3 vets and loads of techs. They cannot see her until Sept. 23rd. One vet is out sick. One does surgery only and the other is booked 7 til 7 for herself and the sick partner.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Is there a reason you're feeding her moist food? Can you feed her only kibble? Also, not sure why she's not on puppy food, but it has a higher fat content and would probably help put weight on her more quickly. Is she getting any treats outside of her meals? Is this the same kibble she was fed at the shelter, or different? Did you gradually switch her, or perform the switch all at once?

Keep in mind that she has been through a lot lately and has a lot of chemicals pumping through her system. Dewormer, vaccinations, whatever she was given during surgery, etc. She may just be irregular for a while.

I'm vaguely concerned that a shelter would perform a pediatric spay on an underweight puppy with worms, but I guess that's a conversation for another day.

My recommendations: Cut everything from her diet except kibble (preferably puppy kibble). Make sure she doesn't have access to cat food or candles (in other words, completely puppy-proof your home). Weigh her *every* day - if you see a decline in weight, tell your vet it's an emergency and they need to see her sooner, or find another vet if they can't. Make sure you have a stool sample handy when you go in so they can analyze it.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Also it sounds like the puppy has been out of eyesight enough times to get into things she shouldn't be getting into. Puppies require hawklike supervision to prevent possible emergencies (or diarrhea or candle eating). When you can't watch her every move, put her in a crate or puppy-safe, closed-off area.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, thanks for responding. I'll do my best to answer.

At the Animal Shelter, the puppies are multiples in cages except when in one giant play area outside for part of the day and then it might be 50 with a giant pan of food and a kiddie swimming pool for water. They're fed whatever had been donated that week. The food they were giving them when I adopted her was HUGE kibbles. They didn't know the brand. It is all dumped into containers and the bags are discarded. The switch was immediate since I had no idea what she was being fed and a Border Collie, 9 lbs at 9 weeks? You could see her ribs thru her long hair. She was in a cage with 2 food aggressive littermates.

I'm mixing a small amount of wet food (adult canned) because she totally refused the dry. My very old lab is on mostly moist food due to his kidneys (vet's orders). They all eat 4Health. I'm feeding the cat in my bathroom on the counter and with a baby gate up. I'm putting the two 'adult' dogs on the deck and feeding them their real meals there. The puppy is being fed in the kitchen but dry food and water is left out for the old guy in the kitchen.

During the day I have caught her getting in to the adult dry food and nibbling on that. I increased her meals to 3 times a day and then 4 times a day because of her doing that.

The surgery paper has the remark 'exceptionally thin' and 'very thin' as two separate remarks. They spay them if they think they're quickly adoptable or if they aren't 'cute enough' and aren't rescued within 7 days, are euthanized.

I've complained about the Animal Shelter enough that they have blocked me from making remarks on their Facebook page. Their new thing is picking up about 20 pet cats daily and charging $20 to have them returned to the owner or they are put up for adoption or euthanized. Many of our neighbors have indoor/ outdoor cats. We're all on 1 to 5 acres.

I'll head right to the store and get the puppy kibble and either she'll go hungry or eat that if you think that's what it is. I will tell you that she's gained weight. You can no longer feel her ribs, certainly cannot see them. I've got 4 baby gates up and crawled around looking for other things she might get into. Gotten lots of tiny mouth sized toys for her to chew and she's in a crate at night.

I really like my vet at Banfield but they sure do need more doctors or floaters for when someone is out. Last year they all had the flu, one right after the other.

Diane

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
notgaga, I realize that because my 2 year old ate pinecones, acorns, etc. and cost me quite a bit til we cured her colitis and I trained her to leave those things alone. Emmie is gated in wherever I am now. I have a hallway I can gate her in and I got a crate. I have 4 baby gates. When she goes out to potty, it's on a leash with her head held up and if she attempts to pick up something, I use the clicker, tug and say 'Leave it'. I am really trying to keep her safe.

We've had her 8 1/2 days.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Wow, thanks for responding. I'll do my best to answer.

At the Animal Shelter, the puppies are multiples in cages except when in one giant play area outside for part of the day and then it might be 50 with a giant pan of food and a kiddie swimming pool for water. They're fed whatever had been donated that week. The food they were giving them when I adopted her was HUGE kibbles. They didn't know the brand. It is all dumped into containers and the bags are discarded. The switch was immediate since I had no idea what she was being fed and a Border Collie, 9 lbs at 9 weeks? You could see her ribs thru her long hair. She was in a cage with 2 food aggressive littermates.

I'm mixing a small amount of wet food (adult canned) because she totally refused the dry. My very old lab is on mostly moist food due to his kidneys (vet's orders). They all eat 4Health. I'm feeding the cat in my bathroom on the counter and with a baby gate up. I'm putting the two 'adult' dogs on the deck and feeding them their real meals there. The puppy is being fed in the kitchen but dry food and water is left out for the old guy in the kitchen.

During the day I have caught her getting in to the adult dry food and nibbling on that. I increased her meals to 3 times a day and then 4 times a day because of her doing that.

The surgery paper has the remark 'exceptionally thin' and 'very thin' as two separate remarks. They spay them if they think they're quickly adoptable or if they aren't 'cute enough' and aren't rescued within 7 days, are euthanized.

I've complained about the Animal Shelter enough that they have blocked me from making remarks on their Facebook page. Their new thing is picking up about 20 pet cats daily and charging $20 to have them returned to the owner or they are put up for adoption or euthanized. Many of our neighbors have indoor/ outdoor cats. We're all on 1 to 5 acres.

I'll head right to the store and get the puppy kibble and either she'll go hungry or eat that if you think that's what it is. I will tell you that she's gained weight. You can no longer feel her ribs, certainly cannot see them. I've got 4 baby gates up and crawled around looking for other things she might get into. Gotten lots of tiny mouth sized toys for her to chew and she's in a crate at night.

I really like my vet at Banfield but they sure do need more doctors or floaters for when someone is out. Last year they all had the flu, one right after the other.

Diane
Yikes, that sounds like a horrible situation and she's lucky you got her out of there!

I think that she probably just hasn't had time to even out digestive system-wise, and that it's perhaps not the wet food that's causing her issues. If she won't eat the dry food, she's skinny enough that you should feed her what she'll eat. So perhaps get a combination of dry/soft puppy food and feed her whatever she will consume. Give her about two solid weeks on the same food and see how she does. Sometimes it takes that long for them to truly get 'used' to their new food.

Her worm problems may also be causing some of the issues, and she could even out after the final deworming gets rid of them all.

The Banfield vets around me are always overwhelmed. I don't go there because I refuse to be told that I need to wait several weeks for the next available appointment. If my dog has a problem, I want to be seen NOW, not sometime next month. My vet has never said "sorry, we can't fit you in". Sometimes that means longer waiting rooms times at my regular appointments, because my vet doesn't tell other people they can't fit in, either, but I appreciate that about them and tolerate the wait when it happens. They're also open 24/7/365 (yes, even Christmas), so I know if there is an emergency my dog can be seen the minute I can get him there.

If you've found a vet you like, stick with them, because trustworthy vets are hard to find, for sure :) However, if you use a clinic that is often busy and not open 24 hours, I think having an emergency backup clinic elsewhere would be helpful :)

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called once again and my vet offered to stay after surgical and see Emmie. I took in a fresh fecal sample that clearly had worms. They really checked her well and said her tummie is full of worms. No way was she wormed twice with the last time just 8 days ago. Wormed her and we're not going to trust any of the paperwork I was given. She get the full set of vaccines and four worming plus starts tomorrow on Tri-heart Plus. Almost 4 hours but at least I have an answer. She said the runny poo should clear as the worms are expelled but to expect a huge amount of worms for a few days. I'm so glad she got her in and will see her again next Wednesday. Oh, she said a small spoon of wet mixed with her dry puppy food is not a concern. Just use as little as possible.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
And today she passed 6 tapeworms so back to the vet for treatment for THAT!

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
She was given a shot for Tapeworms, slept all night and today has NO loose stool but each BM has had loads of dead tapeworm segments.

NEVER give up when you know something is not 'right' with your dog!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Did your vet run a fecal test? Could be other parasites such as hookworm which are microscopic.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
She was given a shot for Tapeworms, slept all night and today has NO loose stool but each BM has had loads of dead tapeworm segments.

NEVER give up when you know something is not 'right' with your dog!
Wow, it stinks that she is so infested with worms, but I'm glad you at least have answers and can get her back on the right track to being a healthy puppy!

It was great of your vet to stay after a surgery to see your dog, and it sounds like it saved your pup a bit of suffering to be seen so soon.

I'm glad things are moving towards improvement and hope you can get her worms cleaned up and get some weight on her bones!

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
There are other parasites that are not routinely treated for unless present which is confirmed by a fecal flotation. They are giardia and coccidia. Treated with specific medications: metronidazole and albon respectly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts